9 replies to this topic

#1 potvin48

potvin48

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

So, I'm heading to my first Cubs convention next year in January...Taking my wife and two kids. Kids want autographs, wife wants to meet Darwin Barney...

What should I expect when heading out there? I've heard things like hour long autograph lines, and you might not even get up to the signers before they leave. I believe a schedule will be up near the beginning of the year, and of course I will await Brett's post regarding that info.

Questions:
1) how much waiting in line is there really? Is it an hour, or more like half hour?
2) how many things can I bring to the autograph table? I'm thinking I'd like a card and ball from each person I get autos from...Is that too much? Not enough?
3) can you have someone hold your spot in line while the rest of us take a break? My kids are fidgety, and standing in line for an hour seems like it might make for a bad day after doing that a few times...
4) are the players only accessible during auto times? are there places we can talk to them aside from that?
5) last year, my dad said something about getting a ticket to sit in a room with Ernie Banks for a few minutes...not sure what that was all about...
6) what type of players show up? Can I expect to see Barney, Castro, etc? Or are they mostly minor league guys and old-timers?

Any info is very appreciated!

Thanks

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

Full thoughts coming. Didn't want to leave you hanging.

#3 justinjabs

justinjabs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Twitter:justinjabs
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

I too am interested in some tips. Debating between first Cubs Convention and first Opening Day ... might do both ... but leaning towards Cubs Convention.

Posted Image

"With Reed we will succeed."
Twitter -- Blog

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

Ok, your questions and my thoughts:

1) how much waiting in line is there really? Is it an hour, or more like half hour?

Depends on the player, but I'd think it can definitely reach over an hour. I didn't wait on any last year, but the lines were pretty long.

2) how many things can I bring to the autograph table? I'm thinking I'd like a card and ball from each person I get autos from...Is that too much? Not enough?

I don't know on this one.

3) can you have someone hold your spot in line while the rest of us take a break? My kids are fidgety, and standing in line for an hour seems like it might make for a bad day after doing that a few times...

Might be able to work a half-your-family-stays,-half-goes-for-a-break type thing, but probably depends on folks around you.

4) are the players only accessible during auto times? are there places we can talk to them aside from that?

Depends on the player. Some will mill around and talk to fans, others will just do the autograph thing. There are panels and other activities where various players are involved, and those can be opportunities to go say hey and take pictures.

5) last year, my dad said something about getting a ticket to sit in a room with Ernie Banks for a few minutes...not sure what that was all about...

I got a ticket to get an autograph from Ernie - he signed a ball, said hey, folks chatted with him a bit, but it wasn't quite a few minutes; and it was a prize type situation - not everyone got one.

6) what type of players show up? Can I expect to see Barney, Castro, etc? Or are they mostly minor league guys and old-timers?

Just about all of them do - old timers and current guys (and some prospects). I'd be surprised if Alfonso Soriano comes this time around, but, other than that, it could be a pretty full roster.

#5 potvin48

potvin48

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Ok, your questions and my thoughts:

Depends on the player, but I'd think it can definitely reach over an hour. I didn't wait on any last year, but the lines were pretty long.

I don't know on this one.

Might be able to work a half-your-family-stays,-half-goes-for-a-break type thing, but probably depends on folks around you.

Depends on the player. Some will mill around and talk to fans, others will just do the autograph thing. There are panels and other activities where various players are involved, and those can be opportunities to go say hey and take pictures.

I got a ticket to get an autograph from Ernie - he signed a ball, said hey, folks chatted with him a bit, but it wasn't quite a few minutes; and it was a prize type situation - not everyone got one.

Just about all of them do - old timers and current guys (and some prospects). I'd be surprised if Alfonso Soriano comes this time around, but, other than that, it could be a pretty full roster.

I'd hope Soriano shows up so he can get an apology from the idiots that booed him last year!!! (And he's my nephew's favorite player, and I think he missed him last year while they were sitting with Ernie)

Thanks for your thoughts, we're excited about going for sure.

#6 Anton46

Anton46

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Regarding how much you can autographed, only 1 item per person in line. The security doesn't like posed pictures with the players in line. Usually, I would say you could meet players in the lobby while they walk in and out if you want more autographs, but it's a different hotel this year. I hope you enjoy! My family has been going for the last 11 years.

#7 100 Years of Tears

100 Years of Tears

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Twitter:@ChuckDarwin1
  • LocationGeneva, Illinois

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. The wife surprised me with tickets for this year's CubsCon and it will be our first trip. I do have a question though... My wife admits that two and a half days might be a bit much for her (she's a true fan, but knows her limits). She was hoping to sneak out and do some shopping Saturday... would I be able to have a buddy join me at the convention while she's out shopping? I'm assuming we just get passes to get in and I could give hers to my buddy that day... any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

#8 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

.My wife ... was hoping to sneak out and do some shopping Saturday... would I be able to have a buddy join me at the convention while she's out shopping? I'm assuming we just get passes to get in and I could give hers to my buddy that day... any help is appreciated..

What time should I be there?

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

.My wife ... was hoping to sneak out and do some shopping Saturday... would I be able to have a buddy join me at the convention while she's out shopping? I'm assuming we just get passes to get in and I could give hers to my buddy that day... any help is appreciated..

And, yeah, if it's like last year, you can just give your wife's pass to your buddy in the lobby or whatever.

#10 100 Years of Tears

100 Years of Tears

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Twitter:@ChuckDarwin1
  • LocationGeneva, Illinois

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

And, yeah, if it's like last year, you can just give your wife's pass to your buddy in the lobby or whatever.

Thanks for the help. Hope to see you there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).