#1 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Well, I know that this might go against the grain here, But I'd really like to see a Cardinals-Tigers World Series. Why? The way I see it, if the Cubs are not in it and the Sox are not in it, I'll pull for the other guys in our collective Central divisions. I enjoy the natural rivalry between the Cubs and the Cards, when the Cubs play them, I want to see the Cubs nail them every time. But when those games are over, and the Cubs are out of it, then I see no reason not to pull for the other guys in our division, no matter who they are.
Then there is the appeal of an all Midwestern World Series, two historic teams with great tradition. One of these years, our guys will be in it, and it will be the Cards looking from the outside in. But, this year, I'm pulling for both those teams.
I've always been a National league fan. Not because of some opininon that the National League is somehow, but because until I moved to Chicago, I'd always lived in National League cities.
So I'm hoping for a great Series between those teams, lots of extra inning games and and a full 7 game Series too.

#2 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hi,

I am always in favor of the big money Yankees falling flat. The more David can slew Goliath the better.

Detroit has their spring training facility in Lakeland, FL where I live. I hear Verlander also lives in our community so, for no other good reason I would pull for the Tigers.

regards,

#3 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Meh, I saw this one already in 1968.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#4 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Tigers, sure. Cardinals? No thanks. It's not the Cardinals I can't stand, it's their annoying fans. And I work with just as many Cardinal fans as I do Cub fans. Difference is, most of them don't know squat about baseball, but they sure do like to rub it in when the Cubs are struggling.

Ah for the day the tables will be turned.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#5 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Sven, I am not feeling this.

I appreciate your point of view, especially because it is so Central and so NL, where I am by nurture neither.

Your wishing Midwestern division rivals well is familiar. I felt this way, sort of, growing up with the Red Sox' rivals, the Yankees. When kids would chant "Yankees Suck;" I didn't get it. Didn't I want Goliath to be great, so that when I slew him, I'd be even more heroic? So I understand, I guess. I also tend to "pull for other guys in our division, no matter who they are."

But, now, in 2012, I was rooting for Bryce Harper and his crew. And I am learning, for the first time for me, a long-held Cub's-fan's-contempt. I am a liberal wanting an upset in the the Status-Cardinals.

Thanks for this post, Sven. I wish you would post more often. And thanks to others (Twinkie) responding to our friend, Sven's post. It's going to take 2-5 years. But, I am going to learn this team.

#6 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

sven-eric,
I am guesiing that you haven't been a fan for very long??
I used to hate the Mets, then I couldn't stand that team garvey played on. Now I can't stand the team from St louis. I simply guess the pain burns in me a little to long

#7 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:16 AM

Good Morning SC Paul,
Well, it's morning here in Sweden anyway. I started out as a Braves fan when the team moved to Atlanta in 1966. But when I started university studies in 1971, I got into "other things" for a while...
Living in Charlotte during the early 80's, we'd go to an old delightful place called Crockett Park (wooden bleachers and all), it was a single A club at that time for Baltimore. It was burned to the goumd in 1985.
But it was 1984 that I moved up to Chicago and just fell in love with the city. For those reading this living on the North side, I first lived on Newport Ave, then moved a few blocks over to Janssen Street.
I recall the pain of '69 very well! In Atlanta, we were looking forward to a playoff series with the Cubs. I was in high school then. After the Cubs lost it, then we ran into that Mets buzz saw and to make matters worse, one of the teachers in my classes was a very vocal Met fan! In 1984, I felt such a great feeling of vindication when the Cubs swept the Mets in August and for all practical purposes nailed down the division then.(talk about long lasting pain, yuk,yuk!)
Here in Sweden, it's much easier now to keep up with MLB now that we have ESPN America. I think, though, that next season I'll buy into MLB's Internet TV service.
But actually, I'm looking forward to the World Series no matter who plays. The only bad thing aout it is the long wait until Baseball starts up again, and these dark, dark winters over here!

#8 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Good morning FFP, Yes, I was happy to see Washington do so well, I can just imagine how the Philly fans must be feeling now with Washington being such a young team. We may see a dynasty here...Of course, these days the dynasty standard seems to be about 2 years now!
I like that kid Harper too, stealing home after getting hit by the pitch, that was great. Soon, it will be dark so long over here that if you don't go outside for lunch, you miss the sunlight!

#9 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

Tigers, sure. Cardinals? No thanks. It's not the Cardinals I can't stand, it's their annoying fans. And I work with just as many Cardinal fans as I do Cub fans. Difference is, most of them don't know squat about baseball, but they sure do like to rub it in when the Cubs are struggling.

Ah for the day the tables will be turned.

I agree with this. In sports in general it's not the teams I care about after my boys are gone. It's the fans I have to listen to. I am two hours south of Minneapolis and while the Twins are not a blood curdling rivalry (1. Different leagues, 2. Common bitterness towards White Sox 3. We both suck right now.) I am a Bears fan in Vikings territory. The only reason I root against the Vikings is so I don't have to listen to arrogant prick fans. Sven Erik, I imagine you aren't around too many Cardinal fans? Let me ask what the baseball community is like. do you get much face to face discussion about Baseball or are you dependent on internet?

#10 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

It all makes sense now! No Cardinal fans in Sweden! Hmm, maybe I should move there.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#11 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi Pete,
Well, living across the ocean seems to have an effect of mellowing out just about every baseball fan here. We're just glad to have exposure to Baseball. As I mentioned above, ESPN has been great for us and the MLB service is good too.
I do recall when I lived in Chicago, it was yet another dismal season. It was also the same year that the footbal Cardinals moved to Arizona. I had to go somewhere on the Northside. Though I lived closer to the Addison street station, I walked down to the Belmont stop since I knew it would be hopeless to get seat at the Addison stop since the game was soon over. So when my train pulls into Addison, a bunch of loud Cardinal fans gets on the El. They all began saying: "We're Cardinal fans". (As if we couldn't tell). So I asked: "Would that be the Phoenix Cardinals? Suddenly the train was quiet...
I don't know, I suppose every team has irritating fans. When we win, which we will do, I hope that we win good, with a high level of sportsmanship and class. I can promise you all that when it happens, I'll be on a plane to Chicago, I will not miss that celebration.

#12 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

Hi Tommy, actually there is a small Baseball scene here in Sweden, though it's mostly under the radar. Below is the link to the Swedish Baseball Federation. There is an English page, but if you run the Swedish site through Google Translate, you can read alot more. But sometimes, Google Translate gets it all wrong. A Swedish friend of mine was looking up an American meatloaf recipe which used ground turkey instead of ground beef. Google translated it as Turkish (Turkisk in Swedish) meatloaf instead of the real Swedish word for the bird which is kalkon!
Here is the link:
http://iof1.idrotton...tbollForbundet/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).