9 replies to this topic

#1 Diesel

Diesel

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Sitting around with my friends who happen to be A' fans so I end up watching a lot of A's games I have come to start to realize something as of late. I don't know if it is due to 2003 that making a lot of Cubs fans feel that they should only go to Wrigley when the Cubs are winning, if it is the fact that there is so much pressure to win a world series in Chicago that we never see it, or maybe this team just doesn't have any but we don't seem to have any personalities on this team in recent years. The only two I actually see enjoying themselves playing a game is Soriano who gets booed when he doesn't hit a homerun every time and Garza who is kind of a nut job but in a good way. Now I understand it is really hard to have a good time when you lose 100 games but that is a different argument. When Theo was saying that we need more Garza's I wonder if any of it has to do with not just talent level but we need more guys with personality. I also know that the last few guys who had personalities were bad personalities that turned into clubhouse cancers but I still think we need to find some guys who have unique not angry personalities to bring some life into the clubhouse.

There are also not a lot of things that Cubs fans do to support their favorite players. That may be due to Wrigley being such a destination for out of town fans that we don't have enough groups thinking of great ideas for things and signs to bring to the game to support our favorites. I know we all support the Cubs but it would be kind of fun to have something unique to chant or do in the stands when each player comes up to bat or does something well. Kind of like when the bleachers would toss Oh Henry Bars onto the field for Henry Rodriguez.

I don't know maybe I am just tired of seeing the team trot out and look like they are about to sit at a cubicle for the next 8 hours wishing they were somewhere else and would like to see some players with excitement and show it. Like I said it is hard to do when you lose 100 games but maybe having someone who can loosen up the clubhouse can help win us some more games.

Thoughts anyone?

#2 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

with this team how many of our favorites will be here in spring?

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Maybe not a direct reply to what you stated, but talking about personalities, I think my favorite Cub of all time when it comes to personality is Jay Johnstone. Now that guy was entertaining to me!
- diehard fanclub member #002

#4 Diesel

Diesel

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yes and we need some more guys like that. As far as how many of our favorites will be here in spring, that is the beauty of it we can establish these little rituals for each player on a year by year basis.

#5 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

I think you're right about the pressure thing. Would you want to be a player on that Cubs team that makes it to the World Series? I fear that when the Cubs do become competitive, nothing less than a World Series win will be acceptable for the fanbase and I'm sure that I'll be just as caught up in it as everyone else. You can be sure that the other teams fans will be adding to the preassure head game as will the other teams media. The guys that are on that Cubs team will have to have a focus beyond what any other championship team has required in order to endure. The World Series for that Cubs team is not going to be very much fun I fear.

#6 Diesel

Diesel

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:20 AM

Another reason I started this post was all the negativity towards things like the guest conductor of the 7th inning stretch and the playing of Go Cubs Go after win saying they need to go. I not only believe that the need to stay but also we need to try and find new things ti do that are fun and support the individuals on the team. Management might still look at them as assets bit to us they are a source of entertainment, joy, irritation, disappointment, kind of like family. I think players enjoy seeing signs and rituals specifically for them at the ballpark.

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

I think players enjoy seeing signs and rituals specifically for them at the ballpark.

Yeeeeeeah, but both of those are "new traditions"... I mean Go Cubs Go started, when in '03? '06? And to me the only thing that's worse than the guest conductor thing is the horrible, horrible interviews that Pat and the TV guys have to do with the guest, pimping/whoring whatever they're selling. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that fully half (or more) of the "guest conductor" spots are bought by ad agencies. I'd just as soon have them play a tape of Harry singing it.

#8 100 Years of Tears

100 Years of Tears

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Twitter:@ChuckDarwin1
  • LocationGeneva, Illinois

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

I think in some cases, we support our players too much... I know every fan base gets behind most of their players, but it almost seems like Cubs fans fall in love with players (i.e. Theriot) and lose sight of their actual ability and contributions to the team. Granted, we also tend to hate some players rabidly...

#9 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

I always thought Cub fans appreciated the good natured and hard working players. I don't think that's a problem though, I think that's one of the things that makes Cub fans special. I don't think we so much tolerate mediocrity as we appreciate the player's that give what we believe to be their best!
- diehard fanclub member #002

#10 100 Years of Tears

100 Years of Tears

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Twitter:@ChuckDarwin1
  • LocationGeneva, Illinois

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

I think players enjoy seeing signs and rituals specifically for them at the ballpark.

Yeeeeeeah, but both of those are "new traditions"... I mean Go Cubs Go started, when in '03? '06? And to me the only thing that's worse than the guest conductor thing is the horrible, horrible interviews that Pat and the TV guys have to do with the guest, pimping/whoring whatever they're selling. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that fully half (or more) of the "guest conductor" spots are bought by ad agencies. I'd just as soon have them play a tape of Harry singing it.

I'll never forget when the host of "Storage Wars" sang the Stretch... the show hadn't been on yet, and the premise is just so stupid. Len and Bob seemed so annoyed that they had to interview this bozo about such a ridiculous show... I think he lasted until the first out and they booted him from the booth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).