5 replies to this topic

#1 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

Matt Holliday slid late last night. I think his slide defined the difference between playing good hard clean baseball and dirty pool. And it's not the first time. I have a vague memory of Holliday doing the same against the Cubs. (Help me out on that. I tried googling it but all I can get now is "Panda cubs on a slide" or articles about last night.)
Given how much I (And a large percentage of Cubs fans) hate despise and loathe the cardinals, I find it very difficult to view the situation from a neutral view point. How would I feel if Rizzo slid that late and hurt a cardinals second baseman? I truly want to be neutral and not just blather on guided by emotions. Although I did tweet that I would like to see someone on the Giants with a good hard "clean" slide into Left field in game three.
Nice article by Tim Brown on Yahoo. By all accounts Holliday is contrite and admits fault as much as a competitive ballplayer can. Of course, that and eight bucks will will get you a nice latte at Starbucks... And he had a shitty game after that play so that's cool.
BUT, by MLB standards, Holliday was within the rules. He stretched the unwritten rules but was within the written rules. And what happens in that situation? F'in chaos. Team A, "Now our team has to hit you." Team B, "Well, we didn't think you had to hit us so now we're going to hit you." MLB would do well to make some written rules so teams don't try to police it themselves.
I'm kind of thinking MLB might need something similar to "Late Hit" rules the NFL uses. If you slide late you are out of the game. Too drastic? Maybe they need to expand the interference rule to include behind the base. Really there is no reason for Holliday or any player to go beyond the base. Isn't that the reason for sliding? To stop on the base? When I started writing this, I had in my head something very severe. If your guy slides late and hurts my guy so bad he can't play, then your guy sits until my guy heals. Yeah, I know. Then we get phantom soccer injuries. So that would be too much.
What do you think? Was Holliday clean? Does anything need to change?

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

Definitely a dirty slide. Theriot almost sounded happy in the press conference afterward (what a douche). Halliday didn't start the slide until he was on the bag. The rules were changed a while back to prevent this from happening.

Rule 6.05(m) states a batter is out when “a preceding runner shall, in the umpire’s judgment, intentionally interfere with a fielder who is attempting to catch a thrown ball or to throw a ball in an attempt to complete any play.

“The objective of this rule is to penalize the offensive team for deliberate, unwarranted, unsportsmanlike action by the runner in leaving the baseline for the obvious purpose of crashing the pivot man on a double play, rather than trying to reach the base.”

Holliday needs to get plunked. The slide you were thinking of was into Castro last season. Here is the coverage from CSN. It doesn't show the video though. Here is the Video. Here and Here is coverage on Bleacher Nation.

Edit:
After reading some of the comments on BN, it sounds like it was during the trade deadline blogathon last year.

Edit:
Thanks Bert, now I have to edit my edit after your post. As Bert stated, it was during the Blogathon.

Edited by Cubbie Blues, 16 October 2012 - 07:15 AM.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

Okay. Yeah. I remember now. Yeah, again, within MLB rules, but he's not really sliding at the base. In fact he is kicking up at Castro. So nevermind trying to be neutral and fair etc. Holliday's a dick plain and simple. Piss on your bs apology. Holliday is now dead to me and I wish many bad things upon him.

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

After the Castro slide he did not apologize and only said that he was playing hard and would do it again. At least he's honest?

I disagree that it's within MLB rules. Behind the bag is out of the base path and he was definitely trying to interfere with a fielder. The slide did not occur until he was at the bag. This injury is exactly why MLB put the rule in place. Enforcement needs to happen one way or the other.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

Exactly. What good is the rule if it's not going to be enforced?

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Someone needs to grab Theriot and shove him up Holliday's ass ankle deep. That would take care of both douche nozzles.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).