19 replies to this topic

#1 Beer Baron

Beer Baron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

I was looking at the Cubs’ 40 man roster, and after I finished throwing up in my mouth, I noticed that they currently have 45 men on there (includes 5 guys on the DL). I see this as a bit of an issue because they are going to need room shortly to sign free agents, protect any minor leaguers from the Rule 5, perhaps sign a Rule 5 guy from another team (we should have then 2nd pick), and so on.

The problem I’m seeing is there seems to be a ridiculous number of minor league guys on the 40 – some who have no reasonable chance to play in the majors next year (Soler, Concepcion, Szczur, Lake) and many more who aren’t quite ready but also decent enough prospects that you don’t want to just cut them and run the risk of losing them (Vitters, Rusin, Coleman, Vizcaino, Raley, Chapman, Brigham, Campana, Parker, Mateo). And this doesn’t count the handful who are Rule 5 eligible and may need to be added (guys like Whitenack, Struck, McNutt, and now Carreno I believe are eligible to be selected).

So it seems to me they need to let go of at least 10 - preferably more. And yes there will almost certainly be some trades to unload current roster members (Soriano, Marmol, Garza, etc) but for most I suspect they want a guy who is nearly major league ready, so you'd be getting back a 40-man guy too (for Marshall we got 2) So who do we let go?

Here are my suggestions, in order:
  • Shawn Camp – free agent coming off a nice year, will get other offers
  • Justin Germano – minor league deal at best
  • Jason Berken - minor league deal at best
  • Miguel Socolovich – minor league deal at best
  • Brian LaHair – like to trade him, but not worth keeping
  • Manny Corpas – arbitration eligible, really not worth keeping
  • Tony Campana – I personally don’t think he’ll ever be any more than a gimic. Love to trade him as part of a package if another team is interested. Also think if dfa’d, no one is going to claim him
  • Adrian Cardenas – I don’t think he got a fair shot, but still can’t say he’s really going to ever be more than a 25th guy – and we seem to have plenty of those.
  • Joe Mather – I wouldn’t mind him back as a very affordable bench guy, but we need the roster spot
  • Luis Valbuena – only reason to tender him an offer and keep him on the roster is the extreme lack of other options at 3rd. I’d rather roll the dice with Stewert

• Chris Volstad – I was actually for keeping him before looking at this list . Now I think if you keep Volstad you have to cut a pitcher like Casey Coleman, Chris Rusin or Brooks Raley instead (and they're all paid league minimum and have options remaining)

• Blake Parker - I suspect if they DFA’d him he’d clear waivers coming off an injury and they can return him to Iowa.

• Marcus Mateo -- ditto

• Michael Bowden - actually pitched pretty well in Sept -- might be worth keeping to fight for a bullpen spot

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

If Joe Mather is on the team again next year I may stick an appendage in a pencil-sharpener. :(
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

If Joe Mather is on the team again next year I may stick an appendage in a pencil-sharpener. :(

You are looking a little long in the tooth.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

I don't see that the Cubs have the option not to carry Valbuena unless there is a trade. I would love for Stewart to come back healthy, but if not who else is there? I really wouldn't want them to rush a kid up to fill a hole during a wasted year.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi,

Any rule 5 guy who is older than 24, forget it unless he is pounding on the door. Campana should be traded, he had his shot and did not take advantage of it. I have commented on his value before. Let's face it, between Daytona and the big club is a huge gap. Some of the young guys may be on the 40 because that is what it took to get them signed.

When in doubt, keep the pitchers.

regards,

#6 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Off the 40 man will be:
Camp
Corpas
Mather

Could be off but resigned to minor league deals:

Coleman
Lendy
Socolovich
Berkan
Germano
Cardenas
1 of Recker/Clevenger

Non Tender Cabdidates
Volstad
Valbuena
Stewart

40 man spot needed:
Garza (60 day DL)
Mateo ( 60 day DL)

Trade Cabdidates
Soriano
DeJesus
Marmol
LaHair

#7 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

It's an interesting numbers game. The Cubs have 45 guys on the roster, including the five on the 60-day DL. They need to add at least three prospects to protect them from the Rule 5 draft: Logan Watkins, Christian Villaneuva and Trey McNutt. Ben Wells contract apparently requires that he be added before Spring Training, even though he isn't Rule 5 eligible. Matt Camp will be a free agent. So we're up to 48.

The Cubs would like to add at least two starting pitchers, an outfielder, a veteran catcher to back up and mentor Castillo and a third baseman. They may also want a veteran reliever and a Rule 5 pick. So we're at 53, 54 or 55.

They may make a few trades before the Winter Meetings, but they're going to need to cut at least 12 and perhaps as many as 15 from the current group.

The good news is that they have that many marginal players. The bad news is they need to decide who to keep, who to DFA and re-sign to a minor-league contract and who to release.

#8 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Man, there's a whole lotta names on the 40-man that I don't really recognize, but again, I'm not much of a prospect student.

Taking a stab at it, I'd look to get rid of/trade/DFA/re-sign to MiLB deals: Ian Stewart*, Mateo*, Parker*, Mather, LaHair, Junior Lake, Clevenger, Recker, Volstad, Corpas, Camp, Cabrera, and Socolovich. Most of them are because there are too many players with last names that begin with the letter C.

That should give the team some breathing room.

* on 60-day DL, not on 40-man

#9 Beer Baron

Beer Baron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

It's an interesting numbers game. The Cubs have 45 guys on the roster, including the five on the 60-day DL. They need to add at least three prospects to protect them from the Rule 5 draft: Logan Watkins, Christian Villaneuva and Trey McNutt. Ben Wells contract apparently requires that he be added before Spring Training, even though he isn't Rule 5 eligible. Matt Camp will be a free agent. So we're up to 48.

The Cubs would like to add at least two starting pitchers, an outfielder, a veteran catcher to back up and mentor Castillo and a third baseman. They may also want a veteran reliever and a Rule 5 pick. So we're at 53, 54 or 55.

They may make a few trades before the Winter Meetings, but they're going to need to cut at least 12 and perhaps as many as 15 from the current group.

The good news is that they have that many marginal players. The bad news is they need to decide who to keep, who to DFA and re-sign to a minor-league contract and who to release.

I think Villenueva doesn't need to be protected until next year. He was just 18 when signed so he is protected until his 5th year. Of course the whole Rule 5 thing is quite confusing so I may very well be wrong.

#10 BluBlud

BluBlud

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Off the 40 man roster completely:

Berken
Camp
Volstad
Germano
Recker
Cardenas
Mather
Bowden
Valbuena

DFA'd:

Socolovich

Traded:

LaHair
Soriano
Marmol
Russell
Garza

That 15 spots opened up.
JayAndersonJr

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Man, there's a whole lotta names on the 40-man that I don't really recognize, but again, I'm not much of a prospect student.

Taking a stab at it, I'd look to get rid of/trade/DFA/re-sign to MiLB deals: Ian Stewart*, Mateo*, Parker*, Mather, LaHair, Junior Lake, Clevenger, Recker, Volstad, Corpas, Camp, Cabrera, and Socolovich. Most of them are because there are too many players with last names that begin with the letter C.

That should give the team some breathing room.

* on 60-day DL, not on 40-man

I would keep Recker and Lake. Even if Lake doesn't make it as a hitter I would like to see what he has on the mound.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

The most painful choices Beer Baron recommends are Cardenas, Volstad and Bowden. Both pitchers may have too much potential value still (and Bowden's most recent performances support optimism. Only Volstad's body type, age and theoretical ability still leave me hopeful.); and Cardenas is difficult to "let go of".
(Edit: I had Adrian's age way wrong. Sorry, Dude)

I like this thread because it has me thinking of next year and thinking of baseball in a way that I'm not sure I ever have.

I seem to remember Theo having a special talent for juggling 'extra' players on DL's or cagey DFA's, and trades will be in here, too; so I know that some of this is just re-arranging assets not wholesale giving up on a guy.

Thanks Beer Baron and all.

Edited by FFP, 25 October 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#13 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'm with 5412. Age will be the determining factor in who stays and who goes. That's what I'm betting on, at least. Aside from that, it's probably a safe bet that the guys that weren't brought here by Theo/Jed have less of a chance of sticking around.

One guy specifically that I'd like to discuss is Volstad. I was originally all for letting him walk as he's been such a huge disappointment, but I have to admit that Brett has made some arguments for keeping him that have changed my stance. Size and age being the main factors. I'd like to see him stick around just a bit longer.

Anyhow, really interesting topic and it's fun to see how everyone looks at these types of things differently.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#14 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

I want to see Volstad stick around just so I can see the depths of insanity that Spencer will fall to next time he starts a game.

#15 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

You are a sadistic little hippie. :lol:
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).