10 replies to this topic

#1 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

Surprised no one is talking about this across the blogs, etc Baez played 3rd base last night in the Arizona Fall league

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

I don't read much into it really. Probably just keeping his bat in the line-up while allowing someone else time at SS. I believe they have mentioned the possiblity of moving him to 2B and not 3B before as well.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

2b ? I was always under the impression he would end up at 3rd /shrug

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

2b ? I was always under the impression he would end up at 3rd /shrug

Imagine what his bat would look like at 2b.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 Devdogg12

Devdogg12

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:Devdogg12

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

I would think he would be a better fit at 3rd because Barney is at 2nd with a solid glove. And while Castro is still getting better at his defense, a strong glove at second would be nice. I'm not sure how good of a glovve Baez is but that's just my opinion.

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

I would think he would be a better fit at 3rd because Barney is at 2nd with a solid glove. And while Castro is still getting better at his defense, a strong glove at second would be nice. I'm not sure how good of a glovve Baez is but that's just my opinion.

I heard some scouts say that they could see him stick at SS. The same scouts were saying before the season (because of size) he wouldn't be able to. If he has the glove for SS he definitely has it for 2B. What ever the Cubs would lose in glove from Barney would be more than made up for with the bat.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

It's noteworthy in the sense that it's interesting to see how he looks out there (small sample, and all that), but it isn't really indicative of anything more than the team having other shortstop prospect(s) that need to get starts at short. And Baez is there to get more at bats, so they try to keep his bat in the lineup when possible.

#8 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

Baez has a solid and developing glove right now. If he can stick at SS, moving him or Castro to 2b would be fantastic. His bat would play amazing at 2b. Kinda reminds me of Robinson Cano anyway. Id rather have a future up the middle infield of Castro and Baez, with another bat at 3b then an IF of Casto, Barney and Baez at 3rd. Baez brings more offensive production to 2b if he reaches his potential with good defensive instincts. Of course, this is all speculation so it's hard to know what will happen in the future.

#9 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Will Baez adapt to another position other than short?
Day he played third had three errors and looked like he didn't want to play there.

#10 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

Castro should continue to be the better shortstop between the two. Baez could play the position in the majors, but Castro has Gold Glove potential. Castro won't be moving any time soon.

Baez definitely has the arm to play third (at least, from everything I've read on him); that is almost certainly his long term home. If not third, pencil him for right field.

The way his playing third in Arizona could be significant is if it is at his request. If he recognizes that Castro has him blocked at short and that his future is at third and is requesting time to learn the position, that's news. If it is just a maneuver to keep him hitting, it doesn't mean too much.

#11 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

He played 3rd today. 2 errors, makes 9 total.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).