chicubs13

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:@Corey_Holthaus
  • LocationSouthern Illinois

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

When mentioning the Diamondbacks as a trade partner, everyone immediately looks to their OFers or their SP prospects. Why not Daniel Hudson? Sure, he had TJ surgery and won't be back until around the all-star break, but that shouldn't be a huge deterrent. He only has a little over a year of service time, and baseball-reference estimates he won't be arb eligible until 2014 and won't be a free agent until 2017. He would certainly be hitting his prime when the Cubs hope to be a contender.

What does BN think of him as a trade target? Would you guys be willing to deal Garza for him? Or would Garza be too much/too little?

#2 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

The guy looks interesting, I'd say he deserves some consideration especially considering the extra years of control. Last year was his first one full year starting and his numbers look good. But this year he only managed 9 games while sporting a 7.35 ERA before he was shutdown due to injury. Was the 7.35 ERA due to injury or something else? Since he just had TJS it might be 2 years before he comes close to the numbers he put up last year (if he can even recapture that form). I'd want another player or 2 with him that also look promising if he was involved in a trade with Garza. I think Brett wrote it somewhere but ideally what you want if you trade Garza is to reclaim what was lost in Archer and Lee. That might no longer be do able since Garza is in his last year of control and coming off an injury.

#3 chicubs13

chicubs13

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:@Corey_Holthaus
  • LocationSouthern Illinois

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

I would say that his performance this past year is largely due to injury. A pitcher's hit rate doesn't just spike like that, especially when his other peripherals are relatively in line with his past performance. He should be fine once he's healthy again.

I think any additional players included in a trade wouldn't be anything major, considering how many years of control the Cubs would have on Hudson. I think we would certainly reclaim what was lost in Archer and Lee as long as Hudson comes close to his performance in 2011.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).