King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

First, let me say that even as an Irish fan, I think Oregon is the better team at this point.

Arkansas State, Fresno State, and Tennesee Tech. Those are the first three teams on Oregon's schedule. The computers favor teams that play tougher schedules, which is why ND and K-State are the top two computer teams. This will balance out starting this weekend when Alabama and Oregon start the meat of their schedules. At this point, ND has played a far better schedule than Oregon, by the time ND plays USC, if both teams are undefeated still, Oregon will easily be ahead of ND in every poll. If all 4 top teams go undefeated the rest of the way, then it will be Alabama-Oregon in the title game.

I'm not so sure about this. I think Oregon and ND should've been rooting for USC this weekend. Both teams need that quality opponent on their schedule. If both Oregon and ND go undefeated the rest of the way, that means USC will have at least four losses, maybe five. Not exactly a quality opponent in terms of polls and strength of schedule. I think it would be Alabama-Kansas State. ND is going to drop significantly in the computers the next three weeks.

You're right, I shouldn't have omitted K-State. You are definitely right about USC too. I think ND needs USC to knock off Oregon to be able to have a shot at the title game. They might also need K-State to slip up, which will be tough without a big12 title game.

#17 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Oregon got screwed when the BCS took out "margin of victory" from the formula because it was leading to coaches leaving their starters in longer and running up the score.

#18 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

Oregon got screwed when the BCS took out "margin of victory" from the formula because it was leading to coaches leaving their starters in longer and running up the score.

Yeah, we wouldn't want any feelings to get hurt.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#19 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

I look at it from the winner's side not the loser's side

you're the #3 team in the nation with two weeks to go
you are up 38-7 in at the beginning of the third quarter against a team you're clearly outclassing

you can either:
A. Continue running up the score to give yourself a BCS berth while putting your starters at risk to a freak injury
B. Pull your starters while possibly putting yourself at the mercy of a computer formula

It also probably encouraged scheduling cupcakes

#20 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).