ncsujuri

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Facebook:ncsujuri
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Saw an article on ESPN that mentioned Buster Olney talking about the Rays putting Price on the market primarily because they expect his arbitration #'s the next couple years to get out of their budget. I doubt we have the prospects to get him but...kick those tires!!!

- It's a great day for a ballgame, LET'S PLAY TWO!

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Price would be awesome, but I kind of would hate to see how much we would have to give up. If it is one of our top 5 I would have a hard time pulling the trigger but if it was someone else I'd go for it.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

I doubt our FO is looking to deal our best prospects right now, but it would sure be nice to have Price!
- diehard fanclub member #002

#4 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

I heard about this a while ago. I'd love to have Price, but so would virtually every team. If he's really on the market, virtually every prospect in baseball would be on the table. Even if we could put together a viable package, t would require tearing down everything they've built to this point. I could see KC starting off with Myers, or St. Louis starting with Tavares and Miller. I just don't think we'd be in the sweepstakes.

#5 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

We would have to trade Garza to a 3rd team for prospects the Rays would be interested in (along with cash considerations and a couple of our own minor leaguers) for David Price. The Royals would be a good fit in that equation; they seem to be DESPERATE for starting pitching, but I doubt they can land Price alone, so they'll settle for Garza.

We have a better chance of acquiring James Shields. Junior Lake and cash could work. I'd hate for us to flip him after acquiring him, but after a big deal to acquire David Price, we'd need to restock. David Price would look REALLY good in Cubbie Blue and has the staying power to be a part of our future, when the kiddos are ready.

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Something like Trey McNutt, Brett Jackson, Marco Hernandez, and a lower level fringy starter (Austin Reed?) might get it done. It would just depend on how sold the Rays were on McNutt. For Price, that is.

I think it is doable without the Cubs nuking their entire farm system. In fact, I think they have the depth at second and third to make a couple of major deals, if they can find good matches, without significantly hurting their own future.

Seriously, they aren't going to be able to play Vitters AND Lake AND Villanueva and Baez and Candelario AND Marcano AND... you get the idea... in the majors all at the same time. At some point, they need to pick their keepers and deal some of the other ones to shore up weak spots. That just smart GMing.

It will also bring out the rable with torches and pitchforks prophesying the return of Jim Hendry and the desecration of the farm system, but we'll probably get that anyway as soon as the Cubs sign a nine figure contract.

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

Luke,
I don't think anyone can mistake anything Theo and company does anywhere remotely close to what Hendry would do. Never mind people are idiots.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 Cubs23

Cubs23

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

I don't think the Rays are trading Price unless they are getting back a player who can immediately help them on the offensive side and who they can control for 3+ years. This would mean Castro or Rizzo type from the Cubs.

I'm not advocating trading Castro, but I have to think with the development of Baez this past season, the FO has to be having internal discussions about what Castro might bring in a trade to speed up the rebuild. I don't see anything in the Cubs minors from a pitching standpoint that leads me to believe help is coming in the next two years. Maybe Vizcaino. Would the acquisition of a Price or Helickson(+additional pieces) and the continued development of Baez put the Cubs in a better spot than holding onto Castro? It starts with pitching and defense. I would be tempted.

#9 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

I can't imagine they'd even consider trading Castro unless the return were ridiculously one-sided. Baez has yet to get a full season of AA baseball under his belt, so writing him in as a replacement is premature (and I know that's not what you were doing). I just don't think there's much chance they'd get the type of return for Castro that they'd require in order to trade him.

All star caliber shortstops are about as hard to come by as anything in MLB.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#10 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

I don't think the Rays are trading Price unless they are getting back a player who can immediately help them on the offensive side and who they can control for 3+ years.

Control a few years, yes, but I don't think they'd insist on immediate impact. They didn't in the Garza deal, after all.

#11 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Trading Castro after signing that contract extension will lead to a lot of players being wary of signing with the Cubs without a NTC.

#12 Petrowsky

Petrowsky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

I would rather the Cubs go after Hellickson. He is younger, more cost effective, and would require less in terms of a trade. Obviously Hellickson would require alot of talent to be able to acquire, but no one can argue that it would be less than Price. I would offer McNutt, Vogelbach, Baez, and Marmol. Throw in 6 million to cover some of the cost for Marmol and I think that the Rays would take that deal.

#13 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

Something like Trey McNutt, Brett Jackson, Marco Hernandez, and a lower level fringy starter (Austin Reed?) might get it done. It would just depend on how sold the Rays were on McNutt. For Price, that is.

If that is all it takes, sign me up. If we can deal Garza for a solid CF, like Austin Jackson on the Tigers, I like our chances going into the future. We're obviously going to sign two starting pitchers this year (albeit flips), but James Shields will be a free agent in 2014, so I think that would be a good springboard for the dive into healthy competition.

2014/2015
LF Albert Almora
CF Austin Jackson
RF Jorge Soler
1B Anthony Rizzo
2B Javier Baez
3B Christan Villanueva
SS Starlin Castro
C Welington Castillo
SP David Price
SP James Shields
SP Jeff Samardiza
SP Travis Wood
SP Vizcaino/Johnson/Wells/Blackburn/Carreno/Hendricks/Negrin/Raley/Rusin

Looks promising

#14 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

New young pitcher on the market: apparently the D'Backs are shopping Trevor Bauer around... I don't know if they want prospects or major leagues... I would definitely look into acquiring a 21 year old who was the #3 overall choice in 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).