#1 MightyBear

MightyBear

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPearland, Texas

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Assuming Soriano plays left and DeJesus plays center field, who in free agency is a good fit for the Cubs to go after and play right? Assuming they could sign an outfielder on a short comeback type of deal, similar to Maholm last year.

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Cody Ross makes sense. He'll come relatively cheap and provides decent pop which is something next year's lineup is desperately lacking. I also wouldn't mind a return of Angel Pagan, but he played himself into a pretty sizable contract the past couple years. BJ Upton would be a nice pickup, with DeJesus shifting over to right and Soriano improving that would make one hell of a defensive outfield

#3 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

First off, I wouldn't count out a Jackson/Sappelt platoon in CF, with DeJesus traded or back at RF.

However, one new FA that intrigues me is Nyjer Morgan. Like his personality, his career has been a roller coaster, but he always seems to be at his best in his first season with a new team.

I can't imagine him being expensive at all, maybe even a spring training invitee, and he'd certainly be a risk I'd be willing to take at a low price. Certainly prefer it to overpaying for one of the ho-hum FA options.

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Sign him. Cubs are gonna suck but at least he'll be entertaining. It's not like he's a Milton Bradley/Carlos Zambrano type where he gets into it with his teammates/managers, most of his antics are directed toward other teams AND he hates the Cardinals. Double win.

#5 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

Scott Hairston would be a good fit with the Cubs.

LF Soriano/LaHair
CF DeJesus/Sappelt
RF Hairston/LaHair

Kyle Blanks was just non-tendered, so Hoyer might want to pick him up on the cheap.

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Blanks has a good eye and posted good numbers in AAA. I would like to see if his woeful major league numbers were a result of hitting in Petco. Hairston is meh we could get comparable numbers out of Sappelt (maybe with a little bit more kvetching on twitter) for a cheaper price.

#7 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

Here are some retreads that I wouldn't mind the Cubs signing to a cheap one year contract to see if they have anything left in the tank and, if they do, could be dealt at the deadline for some decent prospects:

Jason Bay: Released by the Mets yesterday after a putrid, injury-riddled tenure (.687 OPS in parts of three seasons). I'm not too keen on him since he wilted in the spotlight and he might be better suited playing for a smaller market team. Still, he was a MVP candidate in Boston, 34, and not too far removed from 36 home runs in 2010. Doubtful he'll get much interest after his Mets tenure.

Andruw Jones: I have never seen a player fall off the map as quickly as Jones since he showed up fat to LA after signing a massive contract a few years ago. He's only 35 and killed the ball for the first part of the season. A part time DH/OF with the Yankees, he wouldn't mind a shot at regular playing time as he had a really strong start to last season before falling off the map and the Yankees' playoff roster at the end of the season. I'm guessing he signs with a contender as an backup, but there's always the chance that he signs a 1 year deal with a team that promises him regular ABs in RF in order to prove that he's still an effective regular.

Grady Sizemore: Once one of the top emerging stars just a few years ago, Sizemore's been betrayed by injuries the past three seasons and didn't play at all last year. It's a shame because he seemed like a complete player. The Indians finally gave up on him. With his recent knee problems, he's probably best suited as a corner outfielder. If he's healthy, he could be the steal of this year's offseason and net an A-level prospect at the deadline. Keep in mind he's only 30 and one of the younger players of this bunch.

Carlos Lee - I would sign El Cabello on the sole basis that it means the Cubs wouldn't have to face him. He's already killed it at Wrigley Field. At his age/weight, he's probably better suited for a 1B/DH role. He still makes contact and has power, but I don't think he can play the OF anymore.

Luke Scott - Pardon my crassness, but he is a ignorant ass racist hick who notoriously chucked plantains chips at Felix Pie to make some point about being a "savage" or something. I wouldn't be able to root for him, but he has been a productive hitter when healthy. He looks like he might stick around with the Rays.

Jonny Gomes: I've always liked him as a player, and I think he would make an excellent platoon player with lefties Jackson and DeJesus in the lineup. He's always obliterated lefties, but worthless against righties. He has familiarity with the NL Central due to his tenure with the Reds, but I'm guessing he'd rather be a platoon player on a contender than a rebuilding team due to his recent success.

Juan Pierre: Well, he'd at least solve their need for a leadoff hitter. I don't know if he enjoyed his year in Chicago. He had a great year for Philadelphia, so I'm guessing contenders would show interest. He had to settle for a minor league deal with the Phillies last season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).