TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

For the space dorks amongst us, you can now get text alerts from NASA when local conditions are optimal for viewing the ISS pass by. If you haven't seen it (the third brightest object in the night sky), you're missing out. Even though it's just a bright light in the sky, it does give one pause to consider the enormity of the undertaking -- people living in space for months at a time! That was just Sci-Fi when I was growing up.

Anyway, check it:

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov

#2 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

It's only available for me around 4-5 in the morning for the next month. That shit's not happening.

#3 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

It's amazing to not be living in Socal/NYC anymore and actually being able to see objects in the sky other than the Moon.

#4 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Yah, go find the big 'ol space station at least once. It is pretty cool if you catch them docking or undocking resupply ships, too.
Chris Peat is the Nate Silver of the predictive sky. I found his site one morning after walking the dog very early and seeing freakin' space alien wizz by or something.
Searching the web for a more reasonable explanation, Peat showed it to be an iridium flare. They happen all the time in the twilight. Like big clockwork. Who knew? Chris Peat. Flashy.

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

It's only available for me around 4-5 in the morning for the next month. That shit's not happening.

Larf. Yeah, it's got a pretty odd cycle. But when you *do* see it, it's pretty cool.

During our town's Pumpkin Festival a month back we had a party at my house (we have a tiny house w/ a large yard, just a half-block from Main Street (where 250k people come from across the Bay Area to ... I dunno, do something with pumpkins... I don't really care for the festival)). As the evening went on, there were still ~40 people gathered around a couple of fire pits, chatting, enjoying drinks and each other's company, kids running around, etc. It was an unusually clear night -- the fog didn't roll in until after midnight -- when I noticed the ISS coming from the west. It was high (~80°) and bright, and everyone paused for a minute to watch. The moment -- and it was really only a moment -- was really neat, much in the way that watching the last flight of the SS Endeavour was.

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Yah, go find the big 'ol space station at least once. It is pretty cool if you catch them docking or undocking resupply ships, too.
Chris Peat is the Nate Silver of the predictive sky. I found his site one morning after walking the dog very early and seeing freakin' space alien wizz by or something.
Searching the web for a more reasonable explanation, Peat showed it to be an iridium flare. They happen all the time in the twilight. Like big clockwork. Who knew? Chris Peat. Flashy.

Holy CRAP that's a cool site. Thanks, FFP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).