T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hey everyone, Jason Parks just conducted an interview on 670 The Score, and I thought I'd quickly write up some of the things he discussed:

He referred to the system as good, mentioned that the system could improve to top-10 or even top-5 status within a year. Also said that fans in the past haven't been able to look at system during down years, and have been sold a few "lemons" in the past.

Kane County is going to be stacked this coming year. Entire Boise infield will be there, with Candleario and Marco Hernandez being two guys who will be intriguing to watch. Vogelbach is going to put butts in seats at KC, who he says "hits ball a country mile", "has no defensive value", "body screams DH", "hard-working, good makeup, very fun to watch". Parks sees a MLB future for Vogelbach.

Almora will also be in KC to start next year, which started the Baez/Almora discussion. According to Parks: Baez might have as much upside as anyone in all of minors, "scary bat speed, monster bat speed, halloween bat speed"; has a bad approach at moment that will take a while to correct; will take him long to develop because of that bad approach. On Almora: "just a baseball player (emphasis his)"; has some of the best baseball instincts in all of the game, ceiling of all-star CF, has a "beautiful, Cal RIpken-like feel for the game", compared this feel further to guys like Jeter.

On Soler: needs to go to Daytona to start 2013, where pitchers can expand zone on him. Needs to be challenged, needs to be forced to be selective; has "now" power, physically mature, advanced on many levels; "not long for the minors". Probably wont be truly tested until he hits AA.

On Pitching: upside in system is "big". Says he's probably out on a limb with his rankings of Johnson, Underwood, Maples ("give me the guys with huge ceilings over the more polished guys any day of the week"); Underwood has massive arm strength; Maples has "monster stuff", including mid-90's FB and mid-80's 12-6 hammer curve. Says reports from scouts and friends at instructs really influenced his ranking on the pitchers on second half of list, who showed great things there. Tony Zych should be in 2013 pen at some point, quick mover because of one pitch that allows him to run through minors, his fastball that is easy gas that jumps on hitters. Wouldn't put him in a closer role this year, because he'd be a rookie, but hears Zych is "a hoss", has mentality to close. Parks also sees McNutt in the Cubs pen in 2013, says he is better in 1 inning than he could ever be in 6, has 95-98 MPH FB w/ huge slider, could be very good in bullpen.

Parks then wrapped up the discussion with some pretty sobering notes. He reminds us all that, out of the top 5 guys in the system, if even one comes out and produces at an impact level, the Cubs have done very well. When asked which one will perform, Parks didn't hesitate and said "you're gonna get Almora. You're gonna get Almora, and if you get Baez as well the team will be very good". He finished by saying that the impact talent in the system is all likely 3-4 years away from surfacing

#2 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

That was a good read. Thanks for posting, Tommy. Guys named Tommy are helpful, kind, and all around awesome guys.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#3 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

That was a good read. Thanks for posting, Tommy. Guys named Tommy are helpful, kind, and all around awesome guys.

My brother is a Tommy. He's not really all that kind, he's definitely not very helpful, and I think awesome would be an overstatement. You guys are pretty cool though. Nice read TC, thanks for taking the time to post. I can't get enough info on Cubs prospects, I'm turning into a junkie thanks to Luke.

#4 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

My brother is a Tommy. He's not really all that kind, he's definitely not very helpful, and I think awesome would be an overstatement.

I'll bet his real name is really Jake or Bastion. Of course, he may just not have grown into his name yet as it does take some time to develop.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Well, I'll go so far as to agree w/ the "Tom" part of the Tommy... unless you're my mother.

And you forgot "incredibly handsome".

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'll bet his real name is really Jake or Bastion.

Bastion? Sweet. Now I've got the Neverending Story theme stuck in my head...

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'll bet his real name is really Jake or Bastion.

Bastion? Sweet. Now I've got the Neverending Story theme stuck in my head...

The original or the 2nd one?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Vogelbach makes me slightly less opposed to the NL instituting the DH rule

#9 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Nice write up. I think he's a little pessimistic on Vogelbach's defense, but that's understandable. I see reports that say he moves well and has good hands and think he could be slightly below average at first.

The reports on Almora don't surprise me at all. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a full season to work with.

#10 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Not sure I agree with the sobering news of 1 out of 5 success % is a sign Cubs are doing well. Good farm systems produce about 40-50% of their top ten. I think Almora, Baez and Soler are as close to cant miss as Cubs have had in a long time. If we can develop 3-4 pitchers along with the big 3 then we are a homegrown playoff team.

#11 TheRiot2

TheRiot2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPine City,Mn.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

Not sure I agree with the sobering news of 1 out of 5 success % is a sign Cubs are doing well. Good farm systems produce about 40-50% of their top ten. I think Almora, Baez and Soler are as close to cant miss as Cubs have had in a long time. If we can develop 3-4 pitchers along with the big 3 then we are a homegrown playoff team.

After watching the likes of Patterson and Pie, I'll wait to announce the Cub top prospects until after they actually prove their worth.I will have to make an extended road trip to Geneva this summer and see these kids.I'm betting dollar for dollar they give more bang for the buck then these overpriced Cubbies.

#12 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Good farm systems produce about 40-50% of their top ten.

Have seen numbers on this, or you are basing it off anecdotalisms?

#13 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Good farm systems produce about 40-50% of their top ten.

Have seen numbers on this, or you are basing it off anecdotalisms?

Let's pick a year and look at some of the top farm systems top ten shall we? 2008

Cardinals-Rasmus, Chris Perez, Jamie Garcia, Kozma, Boggs, John Jay
Reds-Bruce, Bailey, Votto, Cueto, Stubbs, mesaraco, Frasier
Yankees-Chamberlin, Jackson, Montero, Gardner, Kennedy
Rays-longoria,Price, Davis, Hellickson, Niemann, Jennings
Red Sox-Bucholz, Ellsbury, Masterson, Lowrie, Reddick,

#14 J-Nasty

J-Nasty

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook:jason.paronto
  • LocationWhite River Junction, Vt

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

If Vogelbach continues to hit at higher levels of the minors I think he will be used in a trade down the road. The FO values defense, and Rizzo is gonna stick around for a while. Wish he was athletic enough to play some outfield, but that is extremely unlikely. He probably has the biggest bat in the system, along with the biggest waistline.

#15 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

I have this recurring nightmare where the Cubs trade Vogelbach to an AL team, and a week later the NL adopts the DH rule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).