#1 BluBlud

BluBlud

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

With the news of yesterday's Marlins, Red Sox Style dump, of their entire roster, Giancarlo(Mike)(And not the retired left handed pitching one) Stanton seems to be suggesting that he might be wanting out of Miami. If this indeed the case, the Cubs should be willing to go all out to get him. Baez, Almora, Castro and even Shark should all be considered expendable at this point for a player of his caliber. It's not everyday you get the chance to aquire a power hitting, decent defensive outfielder, who takes a lot of pitches and draws a lot of walks. Get it done Jed.
JayAndersonJr

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

Miami won't even listen to offers on Stanton, they have come out and told a few GM's as much according to MLBTR. The reason that they traded all those players is because the ownership in Miami is extremely cheap. Stanton won't even be arbitration eligible until after the 2014 season. I don't see the Marlins trading such a productive player who doesn't make very much. I get the feeling we will all have to wait for Miami to march him out in front of the cameras in a few years to announce he's signed a long-term, team-friendly deal. Then we move in a few weeks later and make our move.

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Agree with Jeff - he isn't going to be moved now, which is a very good thing for the Cubs.

Right now we do not have the pieces to acquire him (hence the plan Theo is implementing) but in 2-3 years we should without giving up Castro and Shark (or players of their caliber). I guess I am leery of placing all of our eggs in 1 basket (even though that basket is made from some dang good shiznik) if it takes Castro, Shark + 1 or 2 of the big three.

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Jeff's right, and like Brett just posted it's more likely that they'll look to shop LoMo and he could come relatively cheap considering he's coming off injuries, disappointing production, and has clashed with management on a number of issues

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

There is only one scenario in which I can see Miami considering a trade of Stanton. If he is going to remain very unhappy with the Marlins heading into next season, do the Marlins really want to leave him on a roster full of AAA guys handled by a rookie manager?

Stanton would be a fantastic piece for them to build around, but I doubt they can expect him to sign a long term extension in a few years. Not now. Not when he now knows that any team build around could vanish in an instant of Loria decides to be cheap again. If they aren't dead certain they will be competitive while Stanton is under team control, the smart move might be to trade him now, while his value is at the absolute peak rather risk a nasty situation with a angry star and a rookie manager as the cornerstone of the rebuild. Sure, they could keep him to draw fans. I'm sure someone in Florida wants to come watch him stare at pitches two feet out of the strike zone every night. That person might add a couple hundred bucks to the total budget.

If it happened that the decision to deal Stanton was reached, if the Marlins decided the best solution to was to unload their star now before the situation turned more toxic than it is, the Cubs could offer a compelling package of local talent: Soler, Baez, and Vogelbach (Almora can't be traded yet). That could be an attractive proposition for Miami. In one move they could land a young, exciting, local core of talent to try to win back some sort of a fan base.

And Texas would blow the Cubs out of the water with their offer, and the Yankees might just wrap Yankee Stadium in bubble wrap and mail it to Miami to get the deal done. St Louis could probably dangle some pitchers that Miami would find attractive. Arizona could just about win by default if they bothered to enter the bidding.

Even if Stanton is going to be moved, I doubt the Cubs could win the auction. Their top pieces are just too far away from the majors right now. The risk for Miami is simply too high.

Morrison is a more likely player to be dealt.

But then again, if they deal Morrison, won't that just aggravate their issues with Stanton? As it is now, teams could walk Stanton on four straight every at bat all season long and the Marlins would have a hard time scoring two runs a game. Dumping the rest of the lineup won't help matters any.

After all, the Marlins do need to sell at least a handful of tickets next year. At least, I think they do.

#6 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

I've read a few places that they are shopping both Morrison and Ricky Nolasco. I'd like to see the Cubs acquire both, but I'd be afraid of what Miami's asking price would be.

As far as Stanton goes, you make some good points Luke, but I think the fact remains that he's making league minimum for two more seasons. I really can't see Miami trading someone away that's still under such a cheap contract, no matter how much he complains. They have a long history of handling their homegrown talent like this; develop them, watch them play well for a few seasons, hype them up to the fans, tell everyone how xxx player is going to be a part of the foundation for years to come, sign them to extensions, ship them out of town at the first opportunity, rinse, repeat.

#7 Jolt

Jolt

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hold on to your helmets. Latest from Cafardo

The Phillies, Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, Cubs, and many more are inquiring on rightfielder Giancarlo Stanton, a major league source tells Cafardo. However, commissioner Bud Selig is watching the situation closely after the club's colossal salary dump in the Blue Jays deal. He didn't move to block that trade, but he may not be fond of a deal for the Marlins’ biggest draw.

#8 J-Nasty

J-Nasty

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook:jason.paronto
  • LocationWhite River Junction, Vt

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Inquiring is an interesting word. I think every GM in the league would inquire. I can't see the Cubs making a realistic offer for him. It would take too many pieces to get him and the Cubs cant afford to pay that. The Cubs are not one player away from winning. trading away depth just doesn't make sense.

#9 Jolt

Jolt

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Evidence that I'm new... I was used to hitting the "Edit" button and I accidentally hit it on your post... except it wasn't an edit button, it was the "Report" button, and I accidentally sent a report on your very normal post. I'm an idiot, apologies.

What I said in it was there's no way the Cubs have what it takes to get Stanton. Well that's not entirely true, they probably do have what it takes, they just probably prefer not to part with Rizzo or Castro

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

the reports of GMs inquiring about Stanton remind me of vultures circling a dude crawling along the desert. the vultures want a piece but they gotta wait for the guy to die

the guy dying is when Stanton becomes arbitration eligible

#11 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

It won't take our best package to pick up a guy like Stanton. I believe our advantage is our payroll flexibility. We can take on Nolasco's remaining $11.5M; I'm sure he'll be included in a deal with Stanton. Don't get me wrong, anything any club will have to give up will hurt, but this guy is worth it.

Offer Javier Baez (1), Matt Szczur (6), Junior Lake (9), Darwin Barney, Chris Rusin and a PTBNL (Albert Almora (2) in July 2013-makes it easier to pick Austin Meadows in the draft) for Mike Stanton and Ricky Nolasco. The Marlins receive some of our top prospects with plenty of years of control, more trade options, and a salary dump, while we get the best RF in the game of baseball who is only 23 and an over-priced, league-average pitcher in our rotation for a year that could possibly be flipped mid-season. I'm certain that the Marlins will pick up a 1B via the Rule 5 draft and/or sign an aging, undervalued free agent i.e., Casey McGehee to fill their void, so I doubt they would need Vogelbach included in the package deal.

#12 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

...Offer Javier Baez (1), Matt Szczur (6), Junior Lake (9), Darwin Barney, Chris Rusin and a PTBNL (Albert Almora (2) in July 2013-makes it easier to pick Austin Meadows in the draft) for Mike Stanton and Ricky Nolasco. ....

I'd give up that for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).