hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

Ok, so bored at work on Friday so I began to wonder what a Dream Team would look like for MLB. This is my thought exercise with that. Since I enjoy make believe and having a reason behind things, I came up with a scenario:

Fearing the end of the world, on December 20, 2012, Bud Selig immediately releases every player from every roster in the MLB. On December 23, 2012, he awakes and realizes he has a slight problem but also a marketing opportunity. He will do a new draft in the MLB but with a few tweaks:

1. Draft position is determined NBA style but with each team having the same number of balls - 2.
2. When a player is drafted you immediately take over their previous contract - i.e. Pujols would still have 9-years and too much money.
3. Each team will get to draft 25 players at a time. (think of this as - if I could put any 25 players in the majors on the Cubs, here is who I would pick) In an effort for fairness, the only players open in Round 1 are guys who have burnt up their RoY eligibility. (Basically, no prospects in the first round)
4. Round 2-4 will be in reverse order and teams will select 5 players at a time to place on their 40-man roster. ALL of these guys must go on the 40-man. If a team fails to make a selection in their allotted time, they will be awarded a scrappy ex-Cub starting with Theriot. No requirements as to whom you select. You want to take all prospects - so be it.
5. Round 3 will finally be sane and each team will get 1 selection based on reverse order of the 2012 season and finish when every team has complete minor league rosters.
6. NL gets the DH and the Cardinals have been relocated to Hell.

Ok so the draft is held on Christmas Day (because why wouldn't it - Christmas Day should MATTER!!!) and the Cubs get the #1 pick (because really, why not) and here is my team:

Name Age Pos
Joey Votto 28 3
Buster Posey 25 2
Robinson Cano 29 4
Evan Longoria 26 5
Starlin Castro 22 6
Giancarlo Stanton 22 7
Mike Trout 20 8
Bryce Harper 19 9
Miguel Cabrera 29 DH
Yadier Molina 29 BN
Ryan Braun 28 BN
Darwin Barney 26 BN
Chase Headley 28 BN
Andrew McCutchen 25 BN

Name Age Position
CC Sabathia 31 1
Justin Verlander 29 2
Felix Hernandez 26 3
Clayton Kershaw 24 4
Cole Hamels 28 5
David Price 26 6
Chris Sale 23 CL
Matt Cain 27 MR
Yu Darvish 25 MR
Wade Miley 25 SU
Madison Bumgarner 22 SU

Now that I see how much this payroll would be ($235M) - maybe I wouldn't draft studs for the bench and a few more role players - Campana and Billy Hamilton or cheaper setup options. Also, sadly, just the hitters alone ($103M) will probably be more than the 2013 Cubs payroll and DEAR GOD the MARLINS HAD A $15M PAYROLL in 2006.

Couple thoughts: that is a combined 142 WAR (granted some of those figures would be reduced due to reduced playing time) and yes I know Barney is a bit of a homer pick, I offset this by drafting Braun and Molina and sticking them on the bench to get 0 PA. Also, this team would allow you to contend for 2-3 years. I think Cano is the only not under control for multiple years. So the Cubs would have at least 2 cracks at the WS. Not that we would win it but that is a different problem all together.

So, get those brain machines a whirring. What would you do differently with the first 25 picks in the MLB All-Player Draft, do you think this team would actually be able to play together?

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

So, this draft works by letting the Cubs have their pick of players, then everyone else gets to pick? If that's the case, why not just say, pick the best 25 man roster you can think of, no limits, and forget the whole fantasy draft idea.

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

So, this draft works by letting the Cubs have their pick of players, then everyone else gets to pick? If that's the case, why not just say, pick the best 25 man roster you can think of, no limits, and forget the whole fantasy draft idea.

That is basically the point here - I just added a backstory to this. I was REALLY bored at work.

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Also, doing some quick Pythagorean estimation on W-L puts this team at 125-130 wins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).