#1 Myles

Myles

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

I was looking at Brett Jackson's line this in the bigs this year. After throwing up in my mouth a little bit, I looked a little more closely...

.175/.303/.342

Looking at it's face, it's pretty terrible. Batting average well under the Mendoza line. An OPS of .645. An anemic SLG.

However, I'm trying to see the positives. An OBP of .303 isn't good, but it's not terrible. If he qualified for the batting title, he'd be 19th. That's only out of 22, but being in the bottom third of full-time centerfielders would still have value. His SLG is bad, but the IsoP is .167, perfectly serviceable.

His only real problem is pitch recognition and contact. I can understand from a confidence standpoint why you'd want to put him in AAA... but he doesn't need to learn those skills against AAA pitchers, but MLB ones.

We can afford his struggles at the major league level, and he's blocked by no one. I think he's strong enough to take his lumps, and he wasn't entirely without merit anyway, in spite of his absolutely terrible line.

Just a thought...

Feel free to tell me why I'm crazy.

#2 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

You're crazy because...

I think the front office has already stated they intend on starting him at AAA to start the year, so it's a moot point. Other than that, I dunno about all the stats you quoted, but I disagree with one for sure - a .303 OBP is terrible. Add an incredibly high strike out rate to that and you've got a lineup killer.

On the other hand, I think I understand where you're coming from - if we're just going to be bad anyway, why not let him learn at the ML level. I'm still hopeful the Cubs will make a few moves this offseason and be competitive. Time will tell, my friend!
- diehard fanclub member #002

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

I was looking at Brett Jackson's line this in the bigs this year. After throwing up in my mouth a little bit, I looked a little more closely....

I hope you rinsed your mouth out after you threw up in it.

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

If the season began today, who is the Cubs center fielder? Tony Campana? Dave Sappelt?

Given the options currently on the roster, I'd platoon Jackson and Sappelt.

#5 Myles

Myles

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

If the season began today, who is the Cubs center fielder? Tony Campana? Dave Sappelt?

Given the options currently on the roster, I'd platoon Jackson and Sappelt.

This is my reasoning exactly. He's not being blocked my anyone resembling a starting centerfielder. I'm not saying you shouldn't play Campy and Sappelt, but Jackson is the prospect and he should be cutting his teeth against meaningful pitching. AAA just isn't a place where you should be working on pitch recognition. If it's a mechanical thing, then we're in real trouble anyway.

Also, as a Cubs fan, I've got throw-up in mouth a lot.

#6 Drew758

Drew758

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

A Sappelt/Jackson platoon is a much better option than having Campana in there. If he's starting 2/3 of the games in CF, there is no question the FO plans on punting next year.

#7 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

But there's hope... Think about how horrible Jackson was last year... Now consider this. He was still better offensively than Valbuena (13), Soto (14), Stewart (15), Cardenas (16), Mather (17), Vitters (18), and Clevenger (19).

Now think about this... Given only 142 PA, he was 12th out of 19 in weighted percent of offensive productivity for the Cubs last year. He makes the perfect bench player if he does not improve. Great defense, with pop in the bat. He may strike out a ton, but that's gonna happen in PH situations unless you're Reed Johnson. But he needs to start in AAA to work on his swing. He now knows that what he's been doing isn't going to cut it at the big league level.

Sappelt rose to the occasion, only given 78 PA, he was 2nd out of 19 in weighted percent of offensive productivity. I think he'll see plenty of playing time against lefties.

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

I'd give him a chance to make the team out of spring training if he shows improvement, but he's better served getting regular playing time in the minors than a platoon situation. I'd have a Soriano/DeJesus/Sappelt outfield to start the season.

#9 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

I'd give him a chance to make the team out of spring training if he shows improvement, but he's better served getting regular playing time in the minors than a platoon situation. I'd have a Soriano/DeJesus/Sappelt outfield to start the season.

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

#11 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

I agree with fromthemitten.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#12 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

#13 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

#14 TheRiot2

TheRiot2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPine City,Mn.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

LOL

#15 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

I don't think his pitch recognition is in question. He just can't put bat on ball. In addition, I think the best case scenario we can hope for is that it is a mechanical change. If not he doesn't have a shot of improving.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).