Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

You're crazy because...

I think the front office has already stated they intend on starting him at AAA to start the year, so it's a moot point. Other than that, I dunno about all the stats you quoted, but I disagree with one for sure - a .303 OBP is terrible. Add an incredibly high strike out rate to that and you've got a lineup killer.

On the other hand, I think I understand where you're coming from - if we're just going to be bad anyway, why not let him learn at the ML level. I'm still hopeful the Cubs will make a few moves this offseason and be competitive. Time will tell, my friend!

The front office says alot of things.

Still, I don't think that this team has to reserve itself to being bad in 2013. A Jackson/Sappelt platoon could be very productive. Jackson should be the one to win or lose the job out of Spring training. He's not a raw 19 year old. He's 24, and looking more and more like he is what he is. If he's really struggling after the first month or so, send him to Iowa.

#17 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

hahaha my bad the board was going through an update and I posted three times on accident.

I'm more concerned with him getting regular playing time than being on the big league roster. I don't want to see him sitting on the bench most of the time like Colvin.

BTW: Can Sappelt even play center? I recall him playing mostly on the corners during September

#18 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

hahaha my bad the board was going through an update and I posted three times on accident.

I'm more concerned with him getting regular playing time than being on the big league roster. I don't want to see him sitting on the bench most of the time like Colvin.

BTW: Can Sappelt even play center? I recall him playing mostly on the corners during September

He's played a lot of center in the minors. I agree on Jackson, I think it's too big of a waste of potential to sit him or only play him part time.

#19 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, that update was weird.

I think the Cubs sign either Angel Pagan to play CF or Scott Hairston to play RF (or LF if we trade Soriano by then). DeJesus/Sappelt platoon would make more sense in RF, but they have shown they can play CF until Jackson comes up from AAA.

#20 Drew758

Drew758

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'd give him a chance to make the team out of spring training if he shows improvement, but he's better served getting regular playing time in the minors than a platoon situation. I'd have a Soriano/DeJesus/Sappelt outfield to start the season.

Being Left-Handed, Jackson would still receive roughly 2/3 of the AB's in a platoon. It's not like he'd only be playing a couple days a week.

#21 arta

arta

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

why not play all the top kids like almora, soler, baez as far as that goes. i'm serious. IMO Jackson should earn the job.

#22 Myles

Myles

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

why not play all the top kids like almora, soler, baez as far as that goes. i'm serious. IMO Jackson should earn the job.

There's a difference between starting your top prospects in the majors (who have little to no professional experience) and letting someone who has already ran through every level of minor baseball before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).