Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

So, what is there to look forward to in 2013?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

First, this is in no way a troll post or anything like that.

I am just having a really tough time finding things to be excited for or look forward to for the 2013 season. I still read BN everyday, I still try to find out whatever Cubs news I can find, but no matter what, it just seems sorta "meh". At least last off season we had a new manager, new GM, new everything going on. This year, there are no major organizational changes (I'm not saying there should be, just that that facet of this off season is different), and no major coaching stuff changes (see previous caveat). Waiting on prospects to develop for years in the minor leagues is not of particular fascination for me, although I know it is for some (and maybe that's what there is to look forward to for some people next season). But barring some ground-breaking trade or free agent signing, it's just hard for me to get the juices going for 2013 knowing that the club realistically isn't going to be competitive, and it's going to mostly be the same story as last year. I know it's still early in the off season, and maybe something will happen...but damn it looks bleak.

So, what's there to look forward to in 2013?

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Young players developing?

#3 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

The draft

#4 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

• A full year of Rizzo and Castillo.
  • FO knows what they have now, so we won't have to sit through every minor league player getting some major league time (pitchers).
  • A healthy Matt Garza.
  • A rejuvenated Soriano.
Now is the time to have hope, my friend! It's the offseason! I'm sure the Cubs will pick up at least a couple decent starters, and if we're lucky, a position player. Anything can happen, man.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#5 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

I'm going to maintain my optimism until the start of spring training. There is still a lot of time left in the off season and only a few free agents have signed, with none of them being big contracts guy. I'd be surprised if Epstein and Hoyer do not make some sort of trade this off season.

#6 TheRiot2

TheRiot2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPine City,Mn.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

The Kaneland Cubs A team with Soler,Almora and Volgelbach too name a few. Cheaper tickets and old style refreshments to go along with less traffic congestion and close to West Chicago and those famous Chicago Style hot dogs at the Happy House a Chicago area landmark.

#7 Myles

Myles

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

First, this is in no way a troll post or anything like that.

I am just having a really tough time finding things to be excited for or look forward to for the 2013 season. I still read BN everyday, I still try to find out whatever Cubs news I can find, but no matter what, it just seems sorta "meh". At least last off season we had a new manager, new GM, new everything going on. This year, there are no major organizational changes (I'm not saying there should be, just that that facet of this off season is different), and no major coaching stuff changes (see previous caveat). Waiting on prospects to develop for years in the minor leagues is not of particular fascination for me, although I know it is for some (and maybe that's what there is to look forward to for some people next season). But barring some ground-breaking trade or free agent signing, it's just hard for me to get the juices going for 2013 knowing that the club realistically isn't going to be competitive, and it's going to mostly be the same story as last year. I know it's still early in the off season, and maybe something will happen...but damn it looks bleak.

So, what's there to look forward to in 2013?

Corny answer: The Cubs.

I don't care that we're that bad, there's always a chance we can be better. Even if we are bad, we have best play-by-play guy in sports in Len Kasper, and the best one in radio in Pat Hughes. There's almost no place I'd rather be in the spring/summer/fall than within earshot of a Cubs broadcast, and that's even when we're bad.

We've also got a great young shortstop and a great young first baseman, if you're into individual guys.

#8 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

The ability of Scott Baker to prove to be a great flip candidate? Just kidding.. I hear ya Spencer, this offseason looks like it may suck as of now. It's not always easy to have the big picture in mind, especially after last year. But if Theo gets us a championship in 5 yrs it's worth it. Otherwise if I saw him on the street I might beat his a$$. Just kidding again. Kind of..

#9 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I just know that rooting for the Tigers to beat the White Sox and rooting for anyone to beat the cardinals got old real fast. I just want to root for a good team I care about - for a change. It's coming... and it's something to look forward to.

#10 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

It may sound silly, but if we make 3 more moves, I will watch every game I can.

#1. Sign Anibal Sanchez and shore up a great rotation. You all may not think so, but Scott Baker is a great pitcher that has had flashes of brilliance. Travis Wood should keep improving.
#2. Sign a CF/RF that is smart and has plenty of baseball left in them.
#3. Make a multiple player trade that makes sense for both sides moving forward.

#11 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

It may sound silly, but if we make 3 more moves, I will watch every game I can.

#1. Sign Anibal Sanchez and shore up a great rotation. You all may not think so, but Scott Baker is a great pitcher that has flashes of brilliance. Travis Wood should keep improving.
#2. Sign a CF/RF that is smart and has plenty of baseball left in them.
#3. Make a multiple player trade that makes sense for both sides moving forward.

I'm familiar with his numbers and know he'll be 29 in 2013, but what would a scouting report look like on Sanchez? What are his best pitches? Has he lost any velocity or anything like that?

#12 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Has he lost any velocity or anything like that?

No. Doesn't look like it.

I am no expert. Just took a quick peek at fan Graphs:
Posted Image
Anibal Sanchez seems to get his fastball in a little faster each year, last year included. His BB% is still improving every year, too.

His K/BB rate was 3.48 last year. Better than Demp (2.94) or Buehrle (3.13); not as good as Verlander (3.98) or Sabathia (4.48).

Some observers see a recent decline (Mike Podhorzer writes about his recent WHIP in particular), but his detractors maybe working with a small sample size, change in league; and even they project regression back to better days due to his fundamental numbers (esp. velocity) looking sound.

#13 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thanks, FFP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).