#1 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

With Rosters ser, and the upcoming Rule 5 draft, you never know what teams will be looking for. I never understand teams that pass altoggether, as all you're really givng up is an invite to Spring Training, and a temporary roster spot.

Below is a list of out unproltected prospects who I could see teams showing some degree of interest in.

Starlin Peralta & Jose Rosarioa pair of 22 year olds who have never pitched above Low A with mediocre at best stats. Still, the stuff has been touted for a while now, and teams could take a chance. It's hard to imagine him making it a full season on a big league roster, but hey, we managed to keep Lendy Castillo and the albino fellow we Rule 5d in 2009. Or maybe 2010.

Michael Burgess-2007 Supp. 1st round pick. Acquired from nats in Gorzolanny trade. Nice power, meh OBP. Seemed to be pulling something together last season. I could see someone picking him, maybe even stashing him on their bench for lefty power through the season.

Casey Weathers-the other guy we got in the Colvin trade. 2007 1st round pick, 8th overall. Poor mand Carlos Marmol. Great stuff, though rarely is it near the plate.

Greg Rohan-Versatile, solid bat: .282/.349/.491 between Daytona, Tennessee, and Iowa last season. Plays 3B, 1B, and OF. could be a DeRosa. at 26, he's more likely a LaFoxPauir with a bit more defensive versatility. Someone could show interest. Then again, I'm assuming that most teams have a few of him throughout their farm system.

Frank Batista-Has put up solid numbers as a closer between Daytona and Tennessee the past 2 years, but struggled in his stint with Iowa last year. He doesn't seem to K enough guys to be a big league closer.

Marcus Hatley&TyRelle Harris-a pair of seemingly big league ready RH bullpen arms. Someone could take one. Then again, there's likely no shortage of these types available in the Rule 5 or as cheap free agents.

Marcello Carenno: The young, high ceiling arm we acquired for Jeff Baker. It would be a shame to lose him without ever really seeing him. He's listed as our #19 prospect by MLB.com. Another guy I could see taken and stuck in the back of someone's pen for the season.

Dae-Eun Rhee-seemingly bounced back from TJS in 2011, but took a dip in 2012. Less of a sure thing than Struck to a team looking for a big league ready guy, the ceiling is much higher. This being said, I believe he was unprotected last season after a much better season and was left untouched.

Nick Struck-I don't know how many comparable pitchers are out there via Rule 5, but to a team looking for back end starter candidates, he'd be a pretty safe pickup.

Jeffrey Antigua: great stuff, K rates. Was demoted from AA to Peaoria last season for unknown (to me anyway) reasons and remained there.

#2 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

I think The Rays pick up 1B Justin Bour.

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

If the Rays did take a Cubs 1B, I think they'd take Rohan over Bour.

#4 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

If the Rays did take a Cubs 1B, I think they'd take Rohan over Bour.

I wouldn't bet against Mike. I heard he's a witch.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

He weighs less than a duck?

#6 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

I need to shed some pounds.

Bour is two years younger than Rohan, bats lefty, and trounced AA last year. Rays should be all over that.

#7 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

as for players the Cubs might pick up, Washington lefty Daniel Rosenbaum (2.84 ERA in the minors) and righty Rob Wort (2.88 ERA) unprotected could be decent bullpen arms... Wort had an especially good season in high a ball this year (2.38 ERA and 15.1 K/9)

#8 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

The only Cubs prospects I think are at risk in the Rule 5 draft are Kyler Burke and Marcus Hatley. Most Rule 5 selections are used in the bullpen or as defensive substitutions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).