Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

The Cubs should trade Darwin Barney, here's why:

With all the attention focused on his well-deserved Gold Glove, we should be ferociously using that as a selling feature. How many times did those sensational catches happen while we were getting blown out? Probably a lot. I'm sure some of those catches helped a pitcher get out of an inning faster, but it doesn't add up to a winning solution. I'll admit, his BABIP was a career low, while his ISO was a career high (of .100), but at a career mark of .291, there's little room for improvement. With an OBP of under .300 for the second time in his career (first being his rookie season), his only value comes from his defensive abilities (including playing SS as well as 2B).

The front office may reference his K% declining and his BB% increasing to help his case (and still being under team control), but without any speed to go along with those offensive numbers, he can easily be replaced from within the organization. He was tied for 10th place among qualifying second basemen in GDP with 11. When you don't have power, you shouldn't be creating outs. It's funny how the leader board for 2B lines up in WAR, there's basically a linear relationship between ISO and WAR: Cano .238, Hill .220, Zobrist .202, Pedroia .160, Phillips .148, Espinosa .155, Uggla .164, Walker .146, Utley .173, Infante .144, Kinsler .166, Kipnis .122, Ellis .106, Kendrick .113, Barney .100, Scutaro .098, Carroll .049, Altuve .109, Murphy .112, Weeks .170... down the list.

But Barney was 15th in WAR among 2B, in 2012! That doesn't matter; he was 28th in AVG, 35th in SLG (and wOBA), and didn't get on base enough, especially when you're 16th in PA among 2B. Those numbers are not acceptable when you are seeing that much action.

What all of this means is that there are 15 teams out there that could use an upgrade. Barney can be included in a trade to add to its value as well. The A's would be a compatible club for a trade. They would value his defense, he's definitely an offensive upgrade at SS/2B (from Cliff Pennington, Adam Rosales, Jemile Weeks) and he's got a cheap price tag for the next few years that should seal the deal. I'm sure an IF for OF swap would work. They do have a few extra outfielders they can part with. Taylor, Cowgill or Smith could work in Cubbie Blue. Especially, if we were to successfully trade Alfonso Soriano; a starter in LF would be a necessity.

POSTSCRIPT:
I'd like to point out that Darwin Barney did offensively worse than Tony Campana in 2012. Of course, it's apples to oranges because the outfield is typically where your biggest offensive production should come from, so the numbers that either one of them put up would be better served, say, as a team's shortstop...

Darwin Barney:
11 GDP (x2) + 1 CS + 1 SF + 3 SFH = 27 Outs.
588 PA - (409 + 27) = 152 / 588 = .2585 + .354 (SLG) + (6SB/588/2) / 2 = .309

Tony Campana:
0 GDP (x2) + 3 CS + 0 SF + 7 SFH = 10 Outs.
192 PA - (128 + 10) = 54 / 192 = .28125 + .299 (SLG) + (30SB/192/2) / 2 = .329

#2 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Great evaluation. Now is the time to trade barney too, because he will be in his age 27 season. He isn't getting any younger and will likely have his best year in the next year or two so that is a selling point too.

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I couldn't agree more, Mike. Those were great statistics you brought up.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#4 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

The A's very likely are looking into a new 2nd baseman. I noticed in the Arizona Fall League that Grant Green played exclusively there (for the first time).... but on the other hand, Green may be all they need.

#5 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

I believe the A's are going to see how Scott Sizemore comes back from his injury. I think he did pretty well in 2011. So Barney's value to the A's would be at his natural position, SS.

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I'd hold onto him until the July deadline because, as Ced Landrum stated he's heading into his peak years and if he gets off to a hot start his value could be inflated. There's plenty of options in the system to fill in... and worst case scenario we could play DeWitt there.

#7 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

The best time to trade Barney will be whenever Logan Watkins looks like he's ready for prime time. Barney's defense isn't going to get worse, and his offense might get better. In the meantime, and infield with two reserves, or one reserve and a totally lost rookie, isn't quite what I had in mind.

#8 CassiusKing

CassiusKing

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

With this logic Barney is worthless without his Gold Glove. Why would he be attractive to other teams? If he was as terrible as you say no one should want him. We have yet to see how good of a hitter Barney can become, and with all the ugly play in the outfield and SS the last thing we need is to get rid of our best fielder. Besides power hitting second basemen are rare, not to mention if we already had a better hitting equally defensive player to replace Barney he would have been moved last year.

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

if we already had a better hitting equally defensive player to replace Barney he would have been moved last year.

No other team in the NL had an equal defensive second baseman last year.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 TheRiot2

TheRiot2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPine City,Mn.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

I'd hold onto him until the July deadline because, as Ced Landrum stated he's heading into his peak years and if he gets off to a hot start his value could be inflated. There's plenty of options in the system to fill in... and worst case scenario we could play DeWitt there.

I'd move Barney right now as he's at his highest value. He gets off to a rough start next season, then he drops a bunch in value at the trade deadline. Keppinger as stated here is a winning situation and costs only money and a short term 2+ option years.Dewitt BTW stunk it up at Iowa last year so no way he gets a look see,there are others who could step up. Logan Watkins anyone ?

#11 J-Nasty

J-Nasty

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook:jason.paronto
  • LocationWhite River Junction, Vt

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

The Cub's front office is focusing on adding pitchers with high ground ball rates, I think infield defense will be really important. I say keep him around until Logan Watkins is ready, he has a good glove (not as good as Barney) and would be an upgrade at the plate.

#12 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

I believe we're still interested in signing 3B/2B Jeff Keppinger. He would be a huge upgrade to this team, if he fully recovers from his broken fibula. ::sigh::

No reason to keep Barney on the field with Valbuena (3 months younger) seeing more pitches and being more productive when he swings the bat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).