Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Where Does Today Rank in Your "Happy Cubs Days"?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

A little discussion started in the comments, and I thought it was a good one. Obviously, the FINAL news that Theo is coming to the Cubs is of huge importance. It's a happy, happy day.

But how happy?

Is this your best Cubs moment in the last few years? The last decade? Ever?

It's a bit hard to judge without hindsight (if Theo is somehow a disaster, for example), but, for me, this is way up there, if for no other reason than it represents a true organizational shift.

I was all about Tom Ricketts before this. Now ... I just might kiss him.

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:17 AM

I have to agree with a couple of the posters out front. Seeing them clinch in 1984 may be tops - Before that I had serious doubts about ever seeing them in post season play. 2003 was great winning that series from Atlanta. But for long range impact I would have to go with today.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

For me, my favorite "moment" was when Sammy hit number 60 the first time. ("Ruth, Maris, and now, Sosa.") That stopped being the favorite, oh, about three years ago.

Now I'm not sure. The Gaetti homer was pretty great. Kerry's 20K game was pretty great. A couple 2003 moments were great.

#4 Coach Harris

Coach Harris

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

The most fun to watch was Kerry's 20 K game. My favorite move they ever made was getting Nomar. I can still remember where I was when that trade went down. This is up there though.

#5 Captainplanet54

Captainplanet54

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:53 AM

Kerrys 20k game, Sammys 60th, Nomar trade, Greg Maddux returning, then probably Theo with the Barrett punch right behind it. Probably some 2003 and 2009 moments in there somewhere I prefer to forget about those seasons sometimes...

#6 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

For those of us old enough to follow the '84 Cubs there was an entire summer of them until a shocking and unrelenting kick to the nuts that was Game 5 of the NLCS. Recently nothing compares to this as it gets rid of the apathy that I have felt the last 3 to 4 years.

#7 Alex

Alex

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

I would say that today ranks at the top of the list.

This is actually the cherry on my sundae. After seeing how TR invested in the draft and international signings this past season and knowing that will continue is exciting. Building a state of the art spring training complex and getting out of the old antiquated facility is fantastic. Along with building a first class developmental complex in the Dominican Republic shows why TR deserves so much credit.

He wanted Theo, he got his man. Now Theo will put TR's plan into action.

I'm so giddy right now.

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

#1 but my fandom has been building from casual box score follower to obsessive the past 2-3 years - I was in the army in 2003 so I didnt get to follow that season at all, literally the only moment I saw of that season live was the "Incident"

#9 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:05 AM

Today could top the list, especially if it all turns out the way it should.. as of now, Sammy's 60th and Wood's 20-K game may top my list. Going into the Bartman game I was pretty happy.. it only took a few hours for that to go away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).