#1 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm thinking Baltimore might be a catalyst for something interesting. Specifically they have two pitchers that they have hyped recently, with cause; but, perhaps they have also hyped them for a reason: this week.

These two assets remind me very much of Brian Rose and Carl Pavano (was it in '96?). The terms Duquette used to describe Rose and Pavano when they were both prospects in the Boston system were similar. He probably will hang on to his current young talent, or at least Bundy; but Duquette has a history of (wisely) parlaying his chips.

So, if Duquette thinks the rest of the AL East will sleep this year, he might make his run in 2013. He'll need a hard hitting outfielder, another mature starter, and maybe some pen help. The Cubs seem to be shopping all three (two of them game ready).

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Bundy isn't going anywhere, he's probably the best pitching prospect in baseball, so forget about him. Gausman would be another nice prospect, but he's projected as top of the rotation, so he's probably out of our league too. I think two guys who still might have a decent amount of upside, but have lost some luster are Brian Matusz and Jake Arietta. I feel like either of those two would be a great pickup and could be a reasonable return on Alfonso Soriano, if that's the route the Cubs want to take.

#3 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Here is what got me thinking of Rose/Pavano. It just sounded familiar. Must whet the Baltimore fans' appetite; but in '96 it was trading partners Duquette was priming. Boston fans just got caught in that crossfire.
http://www.masnsport...ous-talent.html

Of course the quotes in that piece back up everything King Jeff says above. Any scenario I imagine (dream of) moving either of these guys has the Cubs as the third party in a multi-team trade; or, more likely, as observers of someone else's trade.

(For example, the only way I can see MLB allowing Miami to hollow out any more of (what's left of) their expensive talent is in a deal that, one could argue, makes them a stronger team in the future. Baltimore holds a wedge that could open that door.)

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

Tillman looks like he'll be a quality starter, I wouldn't mind picking him up.

We've made a lot of deals with Baltimore with our aging/underachieving outfielders (Sosa/Pie/Patterson) during the Hendry Era, and I'm sure Theo has a connection with their front office from his time in Boston.

#5 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

The reason that Baltimore took so many of our guys was MacPhail reclaiming his old prospects. GM's often do that wehn they move on.

But yes, I'd be all for Tillman, or even Matusz at the right price. Oakland and Atlanta are also prime targets for the same reason.

Atlanta has:
Hudson: short term
maholm: likely short term
and then
Minor
Beachy
Delgado
Teharen

Those last four could end up an amazing rotation for their future, but none are sure things. We could pry one away. Wait, we already did :unsure:

Oakland has:
Colon: Short term
Anderson: possible short term, but only 24
and then a glut of nice looking long term possibilities

Straily
Milone
Parker
Cole
Gray
Peacock (buy low?)
Griffin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).