Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

I'm so freakin' excited about this season.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

Right Tommy. If you are down on the team now, you are gonna be suicidal by July.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#17 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

I enjoy how angry people are about the 2013 Cubs. Some are even angry about the 2014 Cubs. Sheesh. I s'pose I'll be angry about the stuff I'm dealing with RIGHT NOW and maybe see how baseball turns out before I get ANGRY. Oh yeah, and if you're not angry, well, you're pretty stupid.

I did catch some dialogue (With Kyle, even.) about WAR coming out to 78-80 I think. Is that feasible that this team could dabble with .500? Am I too optimistic to think everything could come together for a Baltimore like season? Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting any money down in Vegas or anything.

That isn't taking any injuries or trades at the deadline into account.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#18 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

80 win next year is probably unlikely because as Cubbie Blue stated it does not include injuries or trades. However, if Brett Jackson overhauled swing works for him, and if Vitters can adjust to major league pitching then injuries and trades might not make a big impact as far as position players. The big question mark is starters 6-9 again which is why it be nice to pick up another pitcher.

#19 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

I enjoy how angry people are about the 2013 Cubs. Some are even angry about the 2014 Cubs. Sheesh. I s'pose I'll be angry about the stuff I'm dealing with RIGHT NOW and maybe see how baseball turns out before I get ANGRY. Oh yeah, and if you're not angry, well, you're pretty stupid.

I did catch some dialogue (With Kyle, even.) about WAR coming out to 78-80 I think. Is that feasible that this team could dabble with .500? Am I too optimistic to think everything could come together for a Baltimore like season? Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting any money down in Vegas or anything.

This might actually be a good time to put down a minimal bet on the Cubs. Not that I think they'll be competitive by the AS break or anything, but stranger things have happened. There is something about that Cubbie Blue - the first glimpse of it each year -- well, I'm a sucker for it. I can't wait until the players start reporting here for real in Feb.

I just look forward to a baseball season where the most important scores are NOT just whether the Sox and cardinals lost. A season where the Cubs games are big again. And the minor leagues aren't the MOST interesting Cubs games going.

I was hoping for BJ Upton and McCarthy this year. So, I am a little disappointed so far.

#20 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

There is something about that Cubbie Blue - the first glimpse of it each year -- well, I'm a sucker for it.

Why thanks Spriggs. I didn't know you cared so much.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#21 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

There is something about that Cubbie Blue - the first glimpse of it each year -- well, I'm a sucker for it.

Why thanks Spriggs. I didn't know you cared so much.

Of course I care! ;)

#22 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Right Tommy. If you are down on the team now, you are gonna be suicidal by July.

LOL! I couldn't have said it better myself. Heaven help those folks!
- diehard fanclub member #002

#23 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Mark me down as someone who likes this offseason, so far. However, I'm hopeful that the Cubs add a young piece, preferably an arm, via trade, that could be apart of our future success.

As it currently stands, the Cubs' roster is comprised of players who will most likely be on different teams when the Cubs begin to contend. The question remains: When will the Cubs begin to acquire difference makers?

You can't do it all in one offseason. If you want to contend in 2014, don't you have to begin to acquire the pieces now? And I'm not talking about the dreaded " flip " players; nor signing big free-agents. I'm talking about young players who will be in their prime by the time the Cubs contend. Players the Cubs would have to trade for. Just like they did with Anthony Rizzo.

#24 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Win or loose I am a Cub fan. No better sport in America.
I am not as optimistic the team will do well this year as others but I see where this team is headed.
The Defense is there to compete. The offense is just not there to play with the big boys just yet.
If Baker can stay healthy I think the starting pitching can be just as good as any in their division.
Just love Baseball and can't wait for spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).