#1 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

So I am procrastinating bored, and started thinking about the start of the next fantasy baseball season! I need keeper advice for a league I'm in on ESPN. It's a 12 owner league, and we get between 8-10 keepers (probably 8). I need help deciding who to keep. I've included my complete roster from the end of last season.

Also, the roster spots are as follows: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, OF, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, P, P, P, P, SP, SP, SP, SP, 5 bench slots and 6 DL spots (which I abused heavily)

Stat Categories: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, TB, RBI, SB, AVG, FLD PCT, IP, K, CG, SO, W, SV, HD, ERA, WHIP, K/9

C: AJ Ellis
1B: Adrian Gonzalez
2B: Ben Zobrist
3B: Evan Longoria
SS: Troy Tulowitzki
IF: Mark Trumbo
OF: Matt Holliday
OF: BJ Upton
OF: Ben Revere
OF: Josh Hamilton
UTIL: Anthony Rizzo
UTIL: Marco Scutaro

Bench: Starling Marte
Bench: Logan Forsythe

P: Rafael Soriano
P: Steve Cishek
P: Carlos Marmol
P: Luke Gregerson
SP: Ryan Dempster
SP: Jarrod Parker
SP: Ian Kennedy
SP: Josh Johnson

Bench: Jake Odorizzi
Bench: Chris Tillman
Bench: Mat Latos

DL: Victor Martinez
DL: Will Middlebooks

So, pick 8! DL guys are eligible to be kept.

#2 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

Without putting too much research into it, here's my thoughts:

Zobrist
Longoria
Tulowitzki
Rizzo
Gonzalez
Latos
Parker
Hamilton

Those 7 would be virtual locks for me. I guess the rest of it depends on a couple of things: Are trades allowed before keepers are due? Can you trade draft picks? Where does Hamilton sign (if it's Seattle, I'd consider going with Upton over him)?

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Well obviously you need to keep Revere. He's a no brainer (snark inteneded).

I agree with Tommy and would probably go with Trumbo for my 8th (without looking the numbers).

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Trumbo's definitely a keeper. I'd also consider Middlebrooks, along with the guys mentioned above. I change my mind on my keepers about every two weeks though, so I'm probably not a good source of reference.

#5 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Katie would endorse keeping Zobrist

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

Got some tough calls on that roster.

Parker
Middlebrooks
Longoria
Tulowitzki
Gonzalez
Rizzo
Johnson - Especially if your league values wins. He should do well with Toronto's offense behind him.
V-Mart

But I'd seriously consider packaging V-Mart with another fringey keeper (Latos, maybe) and maybe trying to deal for another keeper of a starting pitcher.

I'm going back and forth on Gonzalez vs Trumbo vs Rizzo as well.

#7 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Got some tough calls on that roster.

Parker
Middlebrooks
Longoria
Tulowitzki
Gonzalez
Rizzo
Johnson - Especially if your league values wins. He should do well with Toronto's offense behind him.
V-Mart

But I'd seriously consider packaging V-Mart with another fringey keeper (Latos, maybe) and maybe trying to deal for another keeper of a starting pitcher.

I'm going back and forth on Gonzalez vs Trumbo vs Rizzo as well.

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. By Gonzalez do you mean Gio or Adrian?

#8 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Adrian. I don't see Gio on your list.

#9 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Adrian. I don't see Gio on your list.

haha you're right, i was mixing up my keeper leagues.

#10 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

I'm in the same boat in our league. I've got a lot of guys I want to keep. I'm wondering if I'm putting too much stock in wanting to keep Kinsler for his 2nd base eligibility and Hanley for his shortstop/3rd base positions. It's definitely easier to draft a pitcher or an outfielder that produces at their level than it is to find a middle infielder. I have eight guys that I really don't want to lose. I really hope the trade market is active during the offseason so I can get something for them.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm in the same boat in our league. I've got a lot of guys I want to keep. I'm wondering if I'm putting too much stock in wanting to keep Kinsler for his 2nd base eligibility and Hanley for his shortstop/3rd base positions. It's definitely easier to draft a pitcher or an outfielder that produces at their level than it is to find a middle infielder. I have eight guys that I really don't want to lose. I really hope the trade market is active during the offseason so I can get something for them.

I'm hoping to trade a few as well. I really don't know who I'm keeping outside of Miggy and Encarnancion. It looks like Lonnie Chisenhall, Brandon Phillips, Ruben Tejada, AJ burnett and Chris Carpenter are all going to be traded off my team or back in the draft.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Just tossed this up on the League boards, but I think we may have a problem in the BNFL. We've made draft picks too valuable. That is just about all anyone is looking to deal for right now, and unless something changes, we're going to see teams who fall out of contention looking to load up on them earlier and earlier each year.

Long term, I'm not sure how healthy that is for league. We need to make sure we have a system that allows rosters to turn over and owners to quickly take a bad team back into contention, but I'm not sure having a system that incentives tanking and strangles the offseason trade market is the right way to go.

I'm not sure I know what the answer is, though.

#13 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I have a keeper question, but I don't feel like starting a new thread, so I'm going to hijack Spencer's thread.

Is it too early to keep Dylan Bundy? He seems like he's going to be a monster, and my other pitching considerations are Halladay, Latos, Matt Harrison, and Wade Miley. I'm not blown away by any of them. Thoughts?

#14 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Is it too early to keep Dylan Bundy?

Bundy has true ace potential. There is plenty of risk there, but those guys don't come around too often.

If you have other parts well worth keeping, you could probably let him slide and try to snag him again a few rounds into the draft. Unless you include a draft pick with him, though, I doubt you could trade him this winter.

#15 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Katie would endorse keeping Zobrist

Yeah. Braun and Zobrist. I got so many ridiculous offers for those 2. I'm not trading either of them!!!!!!!

I feel better now.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).