5 replies to this topic

#1 Cubs23

Cubs23

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Unless all of sudden the Cubs pick up Bourn, Hamilton, Greinke and Sanchez, 2013 is shaping up to be just like 2012. I know most would be opposed to trading Starlin. Hypotheically speaking, with the Cubs mantra of looking to acquire long-term assets, I think they could acquire 3 or 4 for a Castro. I think the Cubs could get 2/3 for Samardzija. What kind of package do you think the Cubs could get? If you want to to

Here are the reasons I would look to trade Castro.
1. Extremely talented and fits the age the Cubs are targeting for long-term assets. I don't think he has the make up of a winning player to make him untouchable. You combine Barney's makeup with Castros ability and its a different story. I see Castro as more of a Hanley Ramirez type of player than Derek Jeter. Both extremely talented, but did anyone hear about Jeter needing maturing to help overcome mental lapses? How about Rizzo?

2. The Cubs have 4 SS in their top 20 with Baez looking to be the most talented. Questions about his body type fitting in at SS, but if the Cubs are in no hurry to rebuild, I wait to see how/where he develops.

3. Getting 3 top prospects increases your chances of long term success and could spead up the rebuilding process. The Cubs core minor league talent(Baez, Soler, Almora) are 18,20,20 and all position players. Their top pitching prospects are very unknown and there is far less certainty. Vizcaino is coming off tommy john. Maples, Dillon and Underwood have a combined 23 innings of minor league pitching under their belt.

Trade Targets:
Castro, Travis Wood and Vitters to Diamondbacks for Justin Upton, Trevor Bauer and Tyler Skaggs.
Diamondbacks get cost controlled all-star at a premium position, Wood to put in at the backend of their rotation and a 3B prospect with upside. Cubs get a bat to offset the loss of Castro and two young pitchers ages 20 and 21 both with #1 upside to combine with the young minor league positional core they are trying to develop. Why the Diamondbacks would make this trade? They've been trying to trade Upton since Towers arrived. Cost controlled SS is what they want. Rumors of character issues with Bauer and Skaggs velocity dropped towards the end of his first major league season my make Bauer and Skaggs more likely to include.

Castro and Travis Wood to Pirates for Gerrit Cole, Jameson Taillon and two low minor/high upside prospects.
The Pirates have the core in place to try to make a run. Trading Cole and Taillon would be a big hit against their pitching depth as both are poised to break in with the big club. Castro is an obvious improvement and Including Travis Wood in the trade helps them on the MLB pitching depth. Cubs would add two high upside pitchers that are major league level. As part of their rebuilding effots, they can afford the one/two year wait it will likely take for them to get acclimated to the MLB.

Here are the reasons I would look to trade Samardzija.
#1. Last year was a fluke. Trade him why his value is high. (Note: I do not think this is the case with him, I think he was a legit break out)
#2. He's 27 and when the Cubs are ready to compete, there will be free agent Aces the Cubs will be able to buy. David Price and Feliz Hernandez to name two. I'd look to get value from him right now.

Trade Target:
Samardzija and Brett Jackson to the Royals for Will Myers, Jake Ordorizzi, Mike Montgomery. The Royals get a cost controlled top of the rotation arm to help them take the next step. Brett Jackson provides a close to MLB ready OF who provides depth. The Cubs continue to add to their young core with Myers and pick up two close to MLB ready SPs to bolster their minor league depth.

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

"Castro, Travis Wood and Vitters to Diamondbacks for Justin Upton, Trevor Bauer and Tyler Skaggs."

Upton AND Bauer AND Skaggs? That is... a lot, even for a guy like Castro. And I don't see getting Bauer and Skaggs both out of Arizona in any scenario.

Drop Skaggs, replace Wood with Vizcaino, toss in Maples or McNutt, and I think that deal has a chance. Not sure Arizona would do it even then, but I think it comes closer.

The Royals would probably like Samardzija, but I'm not sure they'd have much interest in Jackson. They have a decent crop of outfield talent already. I could see the Royals maybe agreed to deal Myers and one pitcher for Samardzija and one or two lower level hitters (Vogelbach, Amaya, Hernandez, Candelario, etc.).

And I would not be surprised to see some deals of this type crop up in the next two months. The Cubs have the depth right now to deal some prospects for some young, high ceiling major league ready talent in positions of need.

#3 Diesel

Diesel

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

As far as jeter maturing, he did all of his in the minors at the same age while castro is younger and made it to the majors. I am sure at 21 or 22 jeter needed to mature as well. You just never heard of it because he was just a prospect at the time and not at the majors.

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

Diesel makes a really good point. Look at Jeter's defensive stats:

age 19 - 56 errors!!!!!! (A ball)
age 20 - 25 errors (multiple levels in the minors)
age 21 - 31 errors (minors and majors combined)
age 22 - 22 errors (the year he won ROY)

Castro

age 19 - 39 errors (multiple levels in the minors)
age 20 - 32 errors (AA and MLB)
age 21 - 29 errors
age 22 - 27 errors (this season)

Jeter was down to 18 errors in his age 23 season and never went above 20 in all but one year. This will be a big season for Castro's development defensively. Shortstop is the hardest defensive position to play and it takes a while for many players to get it. Omar Vizquel, who I'd argue is the best defensive SS of this generation, was putting up errors in the mid-20s when he was the same age.

#5 J-Nasty

J-Nasty

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook:jason.paronto
  • LocationWhite River Junction, Vt

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Castro did show improvement last year mid season. I think this could be a really good year for him defensively. Everyone seems to want to move him to different position already, i say give him a couple years and see what he can do. At times he makes plays that nobody should be able to make, just needs to focus on the routine throws to first. Having Rizzo at first for the whole season should help him, LaHair was not nearly as good at making those error saving catches.

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Diesel makes a really good point. Look at Jeter's defensive stats:

age 19 - 56 errors!!!!!! (A ball)
age 20 - 25 errors (multiple levels in the minors)
age 21 - 31 errors (minors and majors combined)
age 22 - 22 errors (the year he won ROY)

Castro

age 19 - 39 errors (multiple levels in the minors)
age 20 - 32 errors (AA and MLB)
age 21 - 29 errors
age 22 - 27 errors (this season)

Jeter was down to 18 errors in his age 23 season and never went above 20 in all but one year. This will be a big season for Castro's development defensively. Shortstop is the hardest defensive position to play and it takes a while for many players to get it. Omar Vizquel, who I'd argue is the best defensive SS of this generation, was putting up errors in the mid-20s when he was the same age.

Don't forget that Castro gets to balls that Jeter has never even dreamed about getting. Castro will always have more chances to make an error due to his range.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).