#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

Cubs Trivia:

In 1960, Cubs owner P.K. Wrigley swapped positions between manager Charlie Grimm and what radio broadcaster?
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

Lou Boudreau comes to mind... as does another, but Boudreau makes a slight bit more sense to me so we'll go with that...

#3 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

Correct Sir!!

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

Damn you Stinky!!!! I was hoping it was Bob Uecker or Lou Brown. I need to brush up on my history.

#5 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

Lou Boudreau was player manager of the Cleveland Indians at an incredibly young age--and won the World Series. He was also the inventor of the Ted Williams shift. My favorite memory concerned Boudreau's propensity to mention the name of the sponsor's beer frequently during the radio broadcasts. I suspect he got paid a few bucks extra every time he did so. On the dark, dark night that the White Sox clinched the pennant in 1959, WGN used Boudreau on the TV broadcast. In the clubhouse after the game, he did some of the interviews during the celebration. Seeing a player with a beer, Boudreau dropped the name of a beer brand. Unfortunately, it was the brand that sponsored the Cubs' radio broadcast, not the one that sponsored the Sox' TV broadcast.

#6 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Lou was a really unique guy. He and Jack Quinlan were a great radio team in the early 1960's. As many of you probably know, Quinlan died very young - in a car crash here in Arizona during spring training in 1965

#7 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

I grew listening to Good Kid on the radio, he was always one of my favorites.

#8 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

I grew listening to Good Kid on the radio, he was always one of my favorites.

Not in a sexual way, I hope. :lol:

#9 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Oops! Insert the word "up" in the most appropriate place. :lol:

#10 TheRiot2

TheRiot2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPine City,Mn.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Lou Boudreau was player manager of the Cleveland Indians at an incredibly young age--and won the World Series. He was also the inventor of the Ted Williams shift. My favorite memory concerned Boudreau's propensity to mention the name of the sponsor's beer frequently during the radio broadcasts. I suspect he got paid a few bucks extra every time he did so. On the dark, dark night that the White Sox clinched the pennant in 1959, WGN used Boudreau on the TV broadcast. In the clubhouse after the game, he did some of the interviews during the celebration. Seeing a player with a beer, Boudreau dropped the name of a beer brand. Unfortunately, it was the brand that sponsored the Cubs' radio broadcast, not the one that sponsored the Sox' TV broadcast.

Now that put a smile on my face,too go with the Quinlan/Boudreau on air commercial for Wieboldt's,it was about ladies foundation garments,,priceless, as they were still laughing several innings later, as was I.

#11 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Boudreau was the first radio announcer I remember. The day he retired was a sad day and thought we'd never find a suitable replacement. And then came Harry!
- diehard fanclub member #002

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

I was gonna make some crack about how ooooooooooold you fellas are, but I figure you'll just forget I even mentioned it.

#13 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Now that put a smile on my face,too go with the Quinlan/Boudreau on air commercial for Wieboldt's,it was about ladies foundation garments,,priceless, as they were still laughing several innings later, as was I.

WGN page -- I can't get the links at the bottom of the page, but maybe you guys can. The Wieboldt's commercials. Several years ago, I bought my Mom a CD of Boudreau, Vince Lloyd, and Quinlan radio classics and it had those commercials. I remember listening to Cubs radio broadcasts (pre-school age) with my Mom and Quinlan always started off the broadcasts with something like, "How ya doing out there all you Cubs fans?".... something like that.

#14 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

I was gonna make some crack about how ooooooooooold you fellas are, but I figure you'll just forget I even mentioned it.

Already forgot.
"oh, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now"

#15 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Boudreau was the first radio announcer I remember. The day he retired was a sad day and thought we'd never find a suitable replacement. And then came Harry!

Well, losing Brenly will clearly be the last time we EVER have a good TV crew.

Although, it does feel that way with the Santo to PEEEENYA Dude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).