Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@xruben31
  • Facebook:Xavier Ruben Rice
  • LocationStreator, Illinois

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

There is no way the Cubs can possibly get David Price that easily. Look at what the Royals had to give up for James Shields. They included the best prospect in the game in Wil Myers and they still had to give up more valuable pitching talent. Price to the Cubs cannot be done without depleting the farm.

Here is why you are wrong. Shield had a friendly contract Price will get a big pay day next year and the year after. Yes Price is a better pitcher but there are some serious money issues involved.

Hes right. But I think if the Cubs resign Garza all they really need to do is sign Lincecum (depending on this season) or Josh Johnson

#17 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

The only problem with the whole David Price scenario is it seems like we're looking at it as if the Cubs are the only team going after him. Even if there were money issues with Price, to believe that no other team in baseball would make a better offer than Vogelbach and Soler (2 guys that haven't played past A ball) is dreaming in my opinion. If that trade were even a remote possibility I think the Cubs would pull it off in a heartbeat.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#18 CoreyMGirman

CoreyMGirman

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/CoreyMGirman
  • Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/#!/girman
  • LocationDFW, Texas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

These are the moves that could speed up contention not including the draft.

1)trade Garza and Soriano to the Rangers for Mike Olt, Justin Grimm and Robbie Ross.
2. Trade Vogelbach, Soler and a PTBNL to the Rays for David Price.

The line for 2015 would look like
C: Castillo
1B: Rizzo
2B: Watkins
SS: Castro
3B: Olt
LF: BJax
CF: Almora
RF: Baez

Even with Garza in the mix the Rangers will not take on Soriano's pay; Cubs would have to pay for most of it and I don't think Theo is too excited about eating all of that cash and getting rid of Garza. Look for Soriano to stay with the Cubs until Free Agency unless a team comes in need later on in the year around the All-Star break (and only if the Cubs are not competitive).
Trying to be a sports writer. Cubs will win the WS before Starlin Castro turns 30.

#19 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

There is no way the Cubs can possibly get David Price that easily. Look at what the Royals had to give up for James Shields. They included the best prospect in the game in Wil Myers and they still had to give up more valuable pitching talent. Price to the Cubs cannot be done without depleting the farm.

Here is why you are wrong. Shield had a friendly contract Price will get a big pay day next year and the year after. Yes Price is a better pitcher but there are some serious money issues involved.

Here's why he's right: Shields(31), Price(27)

If the Cubs were to get Price, they'd have to give up some serious talent from the farm-system, while simultaneously being prepared to dish out a lot of money, to Price.

Personally, I'd like to see the Cubs re-sign Garza. Then, look into trading for a cheaper alternative(trade-wise) to Price.

#20 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Like it has been said, Cubs are looking for the next Price not Price himself. We would have to literally give up a king's ransom for Price. No thanks.

#21 AR_aces23

AR_aces23

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Twitter:Ar_aces23

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Soler won't be netting much for a while. Looked awful in 3 games. Yes, sample size, yada yada, but, I played, I notice things. He looked bad; rough and awkward. Think coal, not diamond

#22 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Soler just needs time to readjust to the higher levels. Same thing can be said about Rizzo when he was with the Padres. I believe in the wait and see approach with him.

#23 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

All the baseball experts love Soler. I have a hard time believing they're all wrong, but I guess only time will tell. I'm excited about him and am very disappointed the Cubs moved out of Peoria and I won't be able to see him regularly.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#24 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

We should all keep in mind that he didn't play baseball for over a year and is still shaking off the rust. He'll be in AA by the time the season is over.

#25 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

I liked what I saw of Soler on TV this spring. I saw him work deep into some counts, foul off some tough pitches, and put together some quality at bats. Sure, he didn't go on a HR tear like Baez did, but he looked like a professional hitter who knew what he was doing at the plate. I'll take that any day of the week.

#26 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

We should have signed Yasiel Puig instead of Soler. He hit over 500 this spring and is slated for AA. Kid is going to be a stud. Soler is no where near what this guy is. What sucks is the Cubs were rumored to offer him more money than the Dodgers.

#27 Coldneck

Coldneck

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationDerby City

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

We should have signed Yasiel Puig instead of Soler. He hit over 500 this spring and is slated for AA. Kid is going to be a stud. Soler is no where near what this guy is. What sucks is the Cubs were rumored to offer him more money than the Dodgers.

And we also should have drafted Mike Piazza in the 43rd round. And while we're at it may as well used a 10th rounder on Albert Pujols.

#28 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

And we also should have drafted Mike Piazza in the 43rd round. And while we're at it may as well used a 10th rounder on Albert Pujols.

Don't forget about the Josh Hamilton trade.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#29 Coldneck

Coldneck

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationDerby City

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

And we should have held on to Lou Brock and Rafael Palmeiro. But Corey Patterson and Felix Pie should have been traded for studs.

#30 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:52 AM

And we should have held on to Lou Brock and Rafael Palmeiro. But Corey Patterson and Felix Pie should have been traded for studs.

I was joking about the Hamilton trade. We never really had or wanted him.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).