#1 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

This is sort of Cubs related. The Oakland A's and the city of Mesa signed a memorandum of understanding a couple days ago. LINK. So instead of having no teams in Mesa - as was the fear back in 2009 and 2010 when the Cubs threatened to pull up stakes for Florida, there will be 2 teams in Mesa as of Spring Training, 2015.

That means Hohokam will be empty and undergoing renovations during all of 2014. We know this is the last Cubs Spring Training at Hohokam, but It hasn't been real clear exactly when the Cubs will vacate the Fitch Complex -- as renovations are scheduled there too.

There were discussions earlier about the 2013 Arizona Fall League games being played at the new Cubs facilitiy - as sort of a test for the new stadium. However, it doesn't appear that will happen nor does appear that the stadium would be ready by then. The last I heard was that Hohokam would still be one of the host stadiums for the 2013 AFL games.

#2 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hey, as long as the Cubs still do ST in AZ, I will be happy. It is close enough to where I live, so that I don't have to spend all my money on airline fares. I am curious why they didn't start renovating sooner though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).