#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:16 AM

Cubs Trivia:

Which Cubs pitcher threw a one-hit, one-run game on September 9, 1965, when the Cubs were no-hit by Sandy Koufax?
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Bob Handley. Arguably the best two-sided pitched game ever.

#3 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

Very good OCCF!

#4 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yes, it has to be right up there with the best ever.

Others might be the Fred Toney - Hippo Vaughn double no-hitter through 9 (which of course Hippo and the Cubs eventually lost - in 1917?). And the Marichal - Spahn 16 inning game in 1963.

#5 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Others might be the Fred Toney - Hippo Vaughn double no-hitter through 9 (which of course Hippo and the Cubs eventually lost - in 1917?). And the Marichal - Spahn 16 inning game in 1963.

That 16 inning game was ridiculous, especially considering the hitters in both lineups; Mays, Cepeda, Matthews, Aaron, McCovey. Dueling no-no's is great, but I'm impressed by the 15 innings of shutting out Hall of Famers.

#6 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

That 16 inning game was ridiculous, especially considering the hitters in both lineups; Mays, Cepeda, Matthews, Aaron, McCovey. Dueling no-no's is great, but I'm impressed by the 15 innings of shutting out Hall of Famers.

I would agree. You might conceivably see another double no-no given the current game. But you will never see 15 innings of shutout ball (even against shitty lineups) in the foreseeable future. For sure not in this generation.

#7 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

The double no-hitter was great, but I think the Koufax-Handley game was better because only two runners reached base. I believe the next-best game was four baserunners. Koufax pitched a perfect game and the one hit Handley allowed barely reached the outfield grass. And, of course, the one run scored on an error. I believe Jane Leavy wrote the biography of Koufax and the story of that game was told in alternate chapters, one inning per chapter. Excellent book.

#8 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

I would agree. You might conceivably see another double no-no given the current game. But you will never see 15 innings of shutout ball (even against shitty lineups) in the foreseeable future. For sure not in this generation.

Unless Dusty Baker is the manager.

#9 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

The double no-hitter was great, but I think the Koufax-Handley game was better because only two runners reached base. I believe the next-best game was four baserunners. Koufax pitched a perfect game and the one hit Handley allowed barely reached the outfield grass. And, of course, the one run scored on an error. I believe Jane Leavy wrote the biography of Koufax and the story of that game was told in alternate chapters, one inning per chapter. Excellent book.

Koufax was just too awesome. I actually listened to the game on the radio that night - but not the whole game. Another thing about that matchup - a few days later - next turn in the rotation, Hendley won the rematch vs Koufax at Wrigley in another low scoring game (I want to say 2-1). Hendley had a complete game, 4-hitter.

Ron Santo used to tell a story about that Koufax perfect game. To make it short... Beckert struck out in the first inning and on the way back to the bench, Santo who was stepping into the on-deck cirlce asked Glenn, "What's he got tonight, Roomy?". Beckert's response was, "Nothing!"

#10 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

I love the stories that the calendar generates more than the calendar entries themselves!

#11 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

The other story is that the Cubs' thought Koufax was tipping his pitches from the stretch, so they thought they would get him. But they never got anyone on base.

#12 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

I love the stories that the calendar generates more than the calendar entries themselves!

you (and Brett) make it happen, Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).