#16 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

"What do you think about Soto Zambrano +14 mil and a prospect or two, To the marlins for Anibal Sanchez? "
That's way too much to give up for Sanchez.

Agreed. Maybe Sanchez and Morrison.

How do you think Morrison would handle the Chicago media with his twitter obsession?

#17 The Underdog

The Underdog

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

Opinion from a noob (trying to follow my new mantra "WWTD")

1. Listen seriously to all offers for anyone not named Starlin, (who by the way gets one more year to try and be a shortstop before he gets to do some 2nd base practise), if the trade looks like a win for us then do it.
2. I know it's what everyone says, but get rid of Z and Soriano by nearly any means necessary. Pay 99% of their wages, do whatever, as long as we don't bring in any aging malcontents in those trades.
3. Don't pick up Pujols or Fielder. I know it seems anathema to winning to not bring in the best player in baseball or one of the best hitters but to spend this money now seems ridiculous. This team is further than one player away from being good. If we must then do Fielder on whatever money it takes for no more than 5 years. That way if he turns into a pumpkin/Mo Vaughan after 2 or 3 years then we're not on the hook for too long. Do however, bid on Pujols to drive up whatever price the Cards have to pay him (and at this point they do have to pay him and keep him).
4. Try to find talented, young players that might be undervalued by their current teams, Logan Morrison is the perfect example, we should be all over him.
5. Don't overpay for C.J Wilson or Edwin Jackson or any other half assed free agent pitcher. They aren't that good and won't get better. If we have to go into next year with Garza, Dempster, Wells and whatever else we can cobble together then fine. Paying Wilson now may seem ok, in 4 years it won't.

It's going to take a few years so let's build it right.

#18 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

"What do you think about Soto Zambrano +14 mil and a prospect or two, To the marlins for Anibal Sanchez? "
That's way too much to give up for Sanchez.

Agreed. Maybe Sanchez and Morrison.

How do you think Morrison would handle the Chicago media with his twitter obsession?

Either he'd learn he has to choose his words more carefully, or the media would learn they can't pick on every little thing ... or, he won't learn, they won't learn, and the Cubs will have to dump him. :)

I think he's great, though - on and off the field.

#19 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

I think he's great, though - on and off the field.

Awww....am I sensing a man-crush?

#20 JasonB

JasonB

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

Ok - so I'll throw my hat in the ring for options the Cubs should explore this offseason. A lot of these are what I view as buy low options but I think they're good buy lows because they've historically performed and are cost controlled. Since they're cost controlled, we'd have to trade for them so obviously, all of these are probably not feasible.

1) Jeff Niemann - Niemann put up some nice numbers last year with a FIP slightly above 4 and a xFIP of under 4. Niemann's problem historically has been the long ball so Wrigley in the summer may not be a great fit but he also won't be facing the Yanks, Sawx and Jays on the Northside. He isn't overpowering but he also doesn't walk guys. Upside is nothing more than a #4 SP but he can give us quality innings and he is under team control for 3 more years so he shouldn't be overly expensive. Given the Rays' need for a SS until Hak Ju Lee is ready, I think some sort of package involving Barney could be doable because Barney can play defense and we know the Rays love defense. And since Matt Moore appears to be ready to dominate, they have an expendable starter and filling their current hole at SS would make them a better team next year).

2) Nolan Reimold - After a pretty bad 2010, Reimold put together a pretty solid year last year in about 300 PAs for the Os. He'll offer a solid bat with a little pop and the ability to get on base. He also knows how to run the bases and plays decent defense. I'd see how the Os feel about him. Unfortunately, his only valuable OF position is probably LF and unfortunately, we have Sory there.

3) Josh Reddick - Sawx don't seem to be sold on him so maybe Theo also isn't sold on him either but I think he's a better option in RF than Colvin. Solid defensively, probably an average bat offensively but has some pop and it looks like his ability to get on base is trending upward. He proved that he could hit in the minors so eventually, he should get better in the majors. And we'll have that lefty power bat that is so critical to winning a WS - just ask Lou and JH.

4) Luis Valbuena - Offensively, Valbuena is a bit of a Sabermetric darling. He draws walks and he hits with power from 2B. Unfortunately, he strikes out a lot, he has yet to hit for average in the majors and he isn't very good defensively. Fortunately, he probably wouldn't cost a lot and is expendable because the Indians have a number of young middle infielders who are currently blocking him (Cabrera, Kipnis and Cord Phelps who is currently in AAA). For the expected cost, I think there is only upside to this type of acquisition. Cord Phelps is also someone I'd look at but he'd probably be a bit more expensive since he just came off of a good year - the good year was pretty BABIP fueled though because he also strikes out a lot. If he doesn't pan out, we'll still have other options at 2B (LeMahieu and perhaps Watkins eventually).

Just a couple of thoughts - while these aren't splashy acquisitions, I think these guys could be undervalued and worth taking a look at. They could end up making some good cheap pieces to a 2013 contender. I also don't like the idea of overspending in a weak 2012 FA market so these are the types of improvements that I'd like to see us make.

#21 kinhin

kinhin

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:45 AM

The Cubs should look into Andrew Brackman. Was recently made a free agent by the Yankees.

#22 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

The Cubs should look into Andrew Brackman. Was recently made a free agent by the Yankees.

Never really put it together - he was an expensive mistake for the Yanks, though they'll be fine.

#23 The Underdog

The Underdog

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

There's reports that the Giants are looking to trade Jonathan Sanchez to free up payroll. He had a terrible 2011 and is in his last year of arbitration but he's a 28 yo lefty who in 2010 was pretty good. If we could do it without giving up too much, I'd be all over him.

#24 stever the roch

stever the roch

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

simple......hire ryne sandberg not mike maddux or the 60 year old from philly..... after all what has mike maddux won ..... can you remember milwaukee's poor pitching in this years playoffs

#25 stever the roch

stever the roch

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

You know come to think of it just what did Sandberg to to get treated like the shit they are treating him like.... any answers

#26 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

You know come to think of it just what did Sandberg to to get treated like the shit they are treating him like.... any answers

MOVE ON, GET OVER IT we will never know but the fact that other teams didn't give him a MLB job last year must say something.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#27 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

There's reports that the Giants are looking to trade Jonathan Sanchez to free up payroll. He had a terrible 2011 and is in his last year of arbitration but he's a 28 yo lefty who in 2010 was pretty good. If we could do it without giving up too much, I'd be all over him.

As an impending free agent, the Cubs might be better off just letting the chips fall, and then going after guys like Sanchez in free agency after the 2012 season.

#28 The Underdog

The Underdog

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

As an impending free agent, the Cubs might be better off just letting the chips fall, and then going after guys like Sanchez in free agency after the 2012 season.

The Royals just got him for Melky Cabrera. i'd class that as a win.

#29 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

For which side? Seems like the Royals could have done better if they were dead-set on trading Cabrera.

#30 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:41 AM

For which side? Seems like the Royals could have done better if they were dead-set on trading Cabrera.

Thats definitely a win for the Giants. They got a solid player who can play any outfield position and can play solid offense, in Melky Cabrera, for Jonathan
Sanchez who, in my opinion, is mediocre at best.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).