Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@xruben31
  • Facebook:Xavier Ruben Rice
  • LocationStreator, Illinois

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Cubs trade: Jorge Soler, Javier Baez, Dan Vogelbach, Matt Sczur, Josh Vitters, Logan Watkins, Dillon Maples, Brookes Raley and Chris Rusin.

Marlins trade: Giancarlo Stanton, Justin Nicolini, and Jacob Turner.

Cubs then sign Dariel Alvarez and Aledmis Diaz to bring some talent back in minors.

Then Cubs trade: Albert Almora, Junior Lake, Alcantra, and Christian Villanueva.

Diamondbacks trade: Justin Upton and pitching prospects.

Finally Cubs trade: Matt Garza, Carlos Marmol, Alfonso Soriano, and David Dejesus + cash.

Rangers trade: Mike Olt, Cody Buckle, and Martin Perez.

#2015worldseries

#2 X the cubs fan

X the cubs fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

They also have to make a pitching splash next off season

#3 ncsujuri

ncsujuri

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Facebook:ncsujuri
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Put down the PS3 controller and walk away...

- It's a great day for a ballgame, LET'S PLAY TWO!

#4 Voice of reason

Voice of reason

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Why would the marlins trade Stanton for that stuff? If they were really interested in trading him AND why would they, then they could certainly do much better than what you are offering.

The same goes for upton! Why would the backs trade him for the garbage you are offering? And, if they are all that good of prospects then why would the cubs make the trade?

If building teams were as easy as making these trades that you propose then anybody could do it. It's not that simple!

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

All I am thinking is that if we can acquire young guys who can make an impact immediately, we have to give up a little in order to gain something. But I think it is ridiculous to trade an entire farm for one guy. That is what screws up a team for years. Granted, I know there can be too much value on the unproven guys, but I think in some respects that they are far more valuable than guys like Upton. We have to give something to gain something, but not to give up a ton to gain something. It is like trading the entire draft for one player (yes, I am talking about Williams). Sure, he may be good, but not good enough to trade away a large amount of potential. Trade with moderation in order to win.

#6 NyWinning1216

NyWinning1216

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter:NyWinning1216
  • Facebook:Adam Nywening

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

I don't think it's quite that simple to sign both Dariel Alvarez and Aldemys Diaz. With multiple teams in the hunt for both, the Cubs would probably have to overpay to get one, let alone both of them...

#7 Carew

Carew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I wouldn't even do this in a video game. You seem to undervalue our prospects and overvalue other team prospects.

#8 X the cubs fan

X the cubs fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

I wouldn't even do this in a video game. You seem to undervalue our prospects and overvalue other team prospects.

"prospects will break your heart"

#9 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

The more I think about it, the more we need this guy. Before I was aware of the financial situation, I wouldn't have been willing to give up what it would likely take to get him. However, elite players are becoming locked up by their teams young these days, and are becoming a scarcity on the free agent market. Stanton may be or last chance. The Cubs are full of guys, both on the big league club and the farm that look to be quality big leaguers, be it as everyday players or role players. With the possible exception of Rizzo, and maybe Soler and Baez depending what they grow into, we have nothing resembling that heart of the order bat we so deperately need. I don't think that I'd be willing to move 2 of our big three, but we'll need to come out of one. So here goes;

Marlins get:
-Javy Baez: the cornerstone of the deal.
-Travis Wood: quality big league 3-4 starter. Under team control through 2016.
-Brett Jackson: If his stock has fallen too far, replace with Matt Szczur
-One of our high ceiling pitching prospects. I'd prefer it not be Johnson or Maples. Wells, Underwood, or...the other guy we drafted in 2013. Can never remember his name.
-one more higher level prospect: Lake/Watkins/Vitters
-1 young high ceiling prospect: Vogelbach/Shoulders/Alcantara/Amaya/Hernandez. Prefer it not be Torreyes, but would if they insisted.
-filler: 1-2 fringey low level guys or big league filler types(Rusin, Raley, Struck, Rhee, Beeler)

Cubs would get:
Stanton
Rickey Nolasco: with the intention of flipping him
1-2 low level lottery tickets or PTBNL.

Not a bad package on our end. We may not have a Profar or Tavares to offer, but teams with blue chip prospects might not be willing to offer up much more in addition, and we offer 6 quality players in addition to a filler.

Seeing as this would be a move geared more toward 2014 and beyond, we still have DeJesus, Garza, Soriano, Marmol, and Then Nolasco to re-stock some of what we give up in the trade.

#10 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

If the Marlins send Stanton packing, they need: OF, 1B, 3B, SP, and a top prospect for good measure. Logan Morrison has been playing 1B some, but there were early rumors that the FO wanted to move him.

1B Daniel Vogelbach

OF Brett Jackson

3B Javier Baez

SP Duane Underwood

Top prospect: Albert Almora

2014 Marlins

2B Donovan Solano

LF Justin Ruggiano

1B Logan Morrison (L)

SS Javier Baez

CF Brett Jackson (L)

RF Marcell Ozuna

C Rob Brantly (L)

3B Gregg Dobbs

1B Daniel Vogelbach (L) [2015]

OF Albert Almora [2015]

SP Duane Underwood [2015]

2014 Cubs

CF Jacoby Ellsbury (L) / Jae-Hoon Ha

SS Starlin Castro

RF Giancarlo Stanton

1B Anthony Rizzo (L)

LF Jorge Soler

C Welington Castillo / Dioner Navarro (S)

3B Luis Valbuena (L) / Cody Ransom

2B Logan Watkins (L) / Darwin Barney

#11 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

The thought of giving up Almora makes me sick to my stomach.  First 1st round draft pick of this FO - I'd really love to see what he turns into, and have it be in a Cub uniform.  Giving up Baez with him would be hard to stomach, but I agree that it would take something like what you've offered up.  I don't know if I could do it myself if I were in charge, but if it did happen,  I would still be extremely excited to see what kind of power numbers Stanton could put up in Wrigley.

As for Jacoby Ellsbury as a Cub - I hope not.  I don't see him getting better, and he doesn't seem to fit what this FO has been talking about what they look for in free agents.  

- diehard fanclub member #002

#12 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't see Stanton or Price requiring two of Soler, Baez, and Almora.  

#13 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't see Stanton or Price requiring two of Soler, Baez, and Almora.  

I agree.  I think we are underestimating the weight that one of these three carries.  Baez and a couple of low prospects can get us Stanton, plus or minus Baez because the Marlins aren't exactly known lately as getting a good return when they trade away good players.

#14 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

With Stanton's knee problems (and now the hamstring, probably because of the knee), a lot of experts think his trade value has fallen off a bit. I'm sure the slow start this year adds to it as well (but who's hitting behind him?)... So, it may only take two, top ten prospects and two, lower level prospects to snag him.

I think the Cubs may be better off just waiting on an Outfield of Shoulders in LF, Almora in CF, and Soler in RF. But, fans may have to wait until 2016 Opening Day for that to come to fruition. Theo & Jed may feel they don't have that much time to wait. I think a 3 way trade might get Stanton...

#15 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

I think they will only because of the teams who will also be competing for those guys. Texas and St Louis could blow the Cubs away in depth and high-ceiling talent, so to beat them out you'd need to throw two very high-level prospects

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).