23 replies to this topic

#16 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

And if a guy got sent down to the minors..... clothes pin is card to your bike spokes.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#17 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I miss baseball cards. Do you collect modern day cards? Are Topps still tops?

I wouldn't know how to (re)start a collection. I knew more about cards (and oddly, in some ways more about baseball (for example I knew someone's ERA cold when I didn't have to consider his WHIP, FIP, FIP+, etc.)) when I was a kid.

It helped me follow the season once I had collected the whole series (or most of it). I'd write in trades during the season season in magic marker, moving the now-ruined collectors item to the new team's rubber banded deck; and I'd make up my own cards for players I was missing (I must have some homemade 'rookie' cards for call-ups).

Then I could sprawl out on the floor during a game move the cards around each half inning (and see who was on the bench or in the pen, still wrapped up in the now flaccid team rubberband). They were more like flash cards or illustrations for the radio broadcast than a "collection"

Nostagia. But, I think it was better in a lot of ways.

That's pretty cool, FFP. I didn't have quite the imagination. Used to trade alot with the neighborhood kids. Sometimes I'd combine my cards with all my brothers and sometimes I'd go solo. Stopped collecting cards in the early 1970's when I got interested in a few other things... Resumed in the late 1970s and then stopped completely in 1993. I still see Topps cards at the store, but I guess there are many varieties of them. Not sure what happened to Fleer and Donruss...

#18 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

And if a guy got sent down to the minors..... clothes pin is card to your bike spokes.

Or even if they were just bums! Many white sox cards ended up on my Stingray bike.

#19 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

One clothespin held the doubles I wanted to trade in the shoe box, so I wouldn't be rummaging around when another kid wanted to talk trades. The spokes on the bike ate the extra Yankees cards. (Nobody around here would trade for them.)
Also had a Stingray. Mine was Schwinn orange, but I never got around to putting on the extra tall "sissy-bar" that I thought looked cool.

(I'm so far into the nostalgia bin now, I'm stopping to buy cards on the way home.)

#20 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

(I'm so far into the nostalgia bin now, I'm stopping to buy cards on the way home.)

You're putting me there too, FFP! ahhh, to remember the days of buying pack after pack and eating that terrible gum. Hoping to get a full collection of the Cubs (but never succeeding). Only to later find out that you can buy the whole pack together. What a sham!

My older brothers took most of my old baseball cards claiming they were theirs (yeah, right!). I had some doozies, and one card I remember in particular was a 3 player rookie card with I think it was Mike Schmitt and Steve Garvey or Ron Cey on it, can't remember. But the book value was almost $500. I traded it for a Brian Piccolo card and a few other Bears I can't remember. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Still had a lot of great cards, and still have a few of them today (quite a few Cubbies).

Thanks for bringing back the memories, buddy! I think I started to ramble there.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#21 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think the 73 Schmidt card has Cey, but not Garvey. His rookie card is 71

#22 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Spriggs - your baseball knowledge is sick, my friend!

#23 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I don't know about that Tommy, but to quote a line from a great baseball movie: God, I love baseball."

#24 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

I don't know about that Tommy, but to quote a line from a great baseball movie: God, I love baseball."

lol, you and me both, buddy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).