Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

George RR Martin is easily the best writer of all time.

No, he's not.

I mean, he may be great. He may be really, really, really great. But the best writer of all time, Sam? You crazy, dude.

Agreed, and any discussion on great writers must include Tom Robbins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Tom Robbins and George RR Martin have two completely different styles of writing. Its like talking about say "whos the greatest guitar player of all time" they are two different to really compare. That being said I also prefer fantasy books and in that category of books I will stand by my original claim that George RR Martin is in fact the best writer of all time.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#17 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

George RR Martin is easily the best writer of all time.

No, he's not.

I mean, he may be great. He may be really, really, really great. But the best writer of all time, Sam? You crazy, dude.

Tom Robbins and George RR Martin have two completely different styles of writing. Its like talking about say "whos the greatest guitar player of all time" they are two different to really compare. That being said I also prefer fantasy books and in that category of books I will stand by my original claim that George RR Martin is in fact the best writer of all time.

Yeah, I've been bothered a bit by being so stridently quick to dismiss your claim, I'll readily admit. And yes indeed, it's just, like, my opinion. Like it's just, like yours.

I'm also happy to have you qualify your claim within the fantasy genre. I've been a lifelong fantasy fan, and it's occurred to me more than once that I should read the Thrones series, but I don't think it's possible for me to get started on another saga until we finally receive the last book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series that I've been reading for twenty fucking years.

And the best guitarist of all time is easily Garcia. Or Duane Allman. But not possibly anyone else, dammit!

#18 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Damn you Sam. You got me hooked on Game of Thrones. That's just one more thing I am going to have to fit into my already busy life. I'm sure I will end up wanting to read the books as well. So, there goes even more time. I watched the first season a couple of weeks ago. HBO had a marathon so I decided to DVR it. I watched the first episode and had to watch another to see if they were all going to be that good (they are). I just watched the 2nd season opener last night.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#19 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

How can the most shocking show on tv get more shocking?

Baby killing.

#20 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Baby killing.

I realize it's just a show but that really made me cringe last night.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#21 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Baby killing.

In the book they killed the baby's mom as well. This is just the beginning...lots of death is coming

#22 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

Anybody up for a "who is Jon Snow's mother?" conversation?

:P
Gods don't play dice with the universe, they are the dice of the universe: our job is to figure out how many sides and dice!

#23 Johnr42

Johnr42

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Slightly off-topic here, but have either of you (TWC or Sam) read Pat Rothfuss' stuff? I might not put him up there with Martin (yet)...but they are great reads.

#24 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Slightly off-topic here, but have either of you (TWC or Sam) read Pat Rothfuss' stuff? I might not put him up there with Martin (yet)...but they are great reads.

I'll chip in. Rothfuss is great. He's a cool guy, too: my wife and I got to meet him last year when he was touring "Wise Man's Fears."

So, here's the Jon Snow analog: is Meluan Kvothe's aunt?
Gods don't play dice with the universe, they are the dice of the universe: our job is to figure out how many sides and dice!

#25 Johnr42

Johnr42

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

I'll chip in. Rothfuss is great. He's a cool guy, too: my wife and I got to meet him last year when he was touring "Wise Man's Fears."

So, here's the Jon Snow analog: is Meluan Kvothe's aunt?

I'm almost 100% positive that she is.

#26 Johnr42

Johnr42

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Now that I have some more time, i'll toss something out there that doesn't just end the conversation. Doc, do you remember the song Arliden wrote about his wife? When Kvothe recites it, he claims that his mother didn't like it because of the rhythm of the verse. Makes sense really, because if you read it in rhythm, the last line sounds out as "Netalia Lackless".

Lately i've been trying to figure out if Auri is Princess Ariel or not. As well as who Skarpi actually is. He knows stories that he shouldn't know. Is he one of the Amyr? Who is Bredon? Is he an Amyr? Is he Denna's Master Ash? Is Master Ash a Chandrian?

#27 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Now that I have some more time, i'll toss something out there that doesn't just end the conversation. Doc, do you remember the song Arliden wrote about his wife? When Kvothe recites it, he claims that his mother didn't like it because of the rhythm of the verse. Makes sense really, because if you read it in rhythm, the last line sounds out as "Netalia Lackless".

Another case is that child's rhyme that Kvothe sings that ends with "On the road that's not for traveling, Lackless likes her riddle raveling" and that clearly irks his mother. She explains that the rhyme is actually pretty racy and that "Lady Lackless is a real person, with feelings that can be hurt." "Ravel" is a derogatory term for the Ruh.

Lately i've been trying to figure out if Auri is Princess Ariel or not. As well as who Skarpi actually is. He knows stories that he shouldn't know. Is he one of the Amyr? Who is Bredon? Is he an Amyr? Is he Denna's Master Ash? Is Master Ash a Chandrian?

In reverse order, I would bet that Master Ash is Cinder of the Chandrian. Kvothe's naming skills have a remarkable quality of hitting the mark well, and getting Ash from Cinder would be another example.

I suspect that both Bredon and Skarpi are members of the Amyr. The Cthaeth tells Kvothe that the Maer is closer to the Amyr than even the Maer realizes, and having Bredon be one would explain this. The Chandrian fled something before killing Kvothe, and the Amyr are a good bet (the Sithe are guarding the tree and the singers were all dead), which provides a means for the Amyr being aware of Kvothe if they arrived right afterwards. That also would explain how Skarpi knew who Kvothe was: remember, Skarpi just up and calls him Kvothe without Kvothe ever introducing himself. It is tenuous, but we have a mechanism and reason for the Amyr to know about Kvothe, and we have two people who take quite the interest in him. So, it's a sort of Occam's Razor thing.

Auri could well be Princess Ariel. If so, then Kvothe again gets the name almost right. It works as a general literary allusion, too: Ariel is a moon of Uranus and that was named for the sky spirit from the Tempest. (Obviously, these things probably do not exist in Kvothe's world, but this is literature!) The other possibility (and this is much more far fetched) is that she "is" the Moon, or the faeling associated with it that Jax stole.

I think that the 3rd book, The Door of Stones, comes out next year. I certainly hope so: but I'll miss the speculating!

Denna herself is quite the mystery. I have this very bad feeling that I'm going to slap my forehead hard when we learn her backstory.

#28 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Anybody up for a "who is Jon Snow's mother?" conversation?

:P

I think it might be Melisandre... But Im sure I don't have all the facts seeing as how I just started on the 5th book... Im soo happy that I can read as Jon and Tyrion again... I was really getting tired of Brienne and Cersei

#29 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Derp. Missed this when you posted it.

I've never heard of him, but I appreciate the recommendation. Looks like an interesting series. I just started re-reading the Wheel Of Time series, hoping to finish with the final book, whenever the fuck it gets released (rumors say November, but with the WoT series, the rumors are always remarkably wrong. And then, I'll be able to read something else again.

#30 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Derp. Missed this when you posted it.

I've never heard of him, but I appreciate the recommendation. Looks like an interesting series. I just started re-reading the Wheel Of Time series, hoping to finish with the final book, whenever the fuck it gets released (rumors say November, but with the WoT series, the rumors are always remarkably wrong. And then, I'll be able to read something else again.

If you like wheel of time I would highly recommend the Rift-War Saga by Raymond E. Feist... Its just fantastic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).