TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Slightly off-topic here, but have either of you (TWC or Sam) read Pat Rothfuss' stuff? I might not put him up there with Martin (yet)...but they are great reads.

Derp. Missed this when you posted it.

I've never heard of him, but I appreciate the recommendation. Looks like an interesting series. I just started re-reading the Wheel Of Time series, hoping to finish with the final book, whenever the fuck it gets released (rumors say November, but with the WoT series, the rumors are always remarkably wrong. And then, I'll be able to read something else again.

If you like wheel of time I would highly recommend the Rift-War Saga by Raymond E. Feist... Its just fantastic

I first read that about 20, 25 years ago, and about a year ago I checked it out again. I was a bit disappointed upon return. First of all, I didn't think any of the other books stood up to the first (Magician), and the pace seemed just too fast. It feels like long periods of time were skipped over. That book could have been made into a 2000-page trilogy, rather than a 700 page novel. The whole time Pug was in Kelewan, both as a slave and then his development as a Great One, was mostly skipped over. And Thomas's development, too, seem more like "before" and "after" pictures.

Maybe I'm just deadened by the even (a charitable way of saying "glacial") pace of the WoT series. I mean, over the course of the whole series -- 10,000 pages! -- only ~three years will have taken place. I like the subtle changes in characters that build upon and stem from even the most minute of details (but man, there are times I really want to slap some of them around). I love the breadth of characters in the WoT. Hundreds of them, and all fully developed. Jordan had a pen for detail. The series slows waaaaaaaaay the fuck down during books, oh, say 6-10, where it takes like 3500 pages to got through two months of simultaneous action, but with as many characters and situations that were started, I don't think he had a choice to take the time he did. I was really reluctant to read the last two books when Sanderson was brought on board to help complete the series (and I think his first effort was a bit uneven), but the scene between Egwene and Elaida was the best thing I've read out of that series since the fight at Toman Head.

But, yeah, I'm gonna stop here before I get too fired up, and you all get too bored.

#32 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Anybody up for a "who is Jon Snow's mother?" conversation? :P

I think it might be Melisandre... But Im sure I don't have all the facts seeing as how I just started on the 5th book... Im soo happy that I can read as Jon and Tyrion again... I was really getting tired of Brienne and Cersei

I'm still betting that his mother is Lyanna Stark, and that's the reason why his uncle (Ned Stark) lied about siring him: if Robert had known that Rhaegar had a living son (bastard or not), then he probably would have offed him.
Gods don't play dice with the universe, they are the dice of the universe: our job is to figure out how many sides and dice!

#33 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

I just started "Feast" and can't really get that into it yet. "Storm" is one of the best books I've ever read. I haven't read many of the posts in this thread because I don't want to get spoiled, but I just needed some sort of outlet to talk about the books haha. I did learn through some of my friends that Feast and Dance take place concurrently which I think is pretty weird.

#34 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

I did learn through some of my friends that Feast and Dance take place concurrently which I think is pretty weird.

Yea, and you go through long stretches (like, a whole book) without hearing from some of the main characters. Kinda annoying.

#35 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Anybody up for a "who is Jon Snow's mother?" conversation?

:P

Only in the beginning of book 4 but my hunch is Lyanna Starks kids ( Ned's sister ) even though we have no facts she gave birth before dying but she did make Ned promise something.

#36 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Love Game of Thrones. Reading the book now, as well. Better than Tolkien, though? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. History will be the judge, but I doubt anyone will ever outdo Tolkien. Remember - he, along with Robert Howard (Conan the Barbarian) created the fantasy genre. Before them, there wasn't fantasy writing, elves, dwarves, etc.. Tolkien created an entire world and culture with his writings.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#37 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

The first season of Thrones won a Hugo for best long dramatic presentation! I'm betting that season 2 does, too.

Dame Diane Riggs (i.e., James Bond's wife, Emma Peel, and the "Masterpiece Thee-ay-tohr" Lady) is joining the cast as Dowager Lady of Highgarden, i.e., the Queen of Thorns. (Um, something Tyrell.....) She was a cool tertiary character in the books: I'm hoping that such a big name casting means that they are going to do more with this character (as they have done with Robb Stark).

Anybody up for a "who is Jon Snow's mother?" conversation?

:P

Only in the beginning of book 4 but my hunch is Lyanna Starks kids ( Ned's sister ) even though we have no facts she gave birth before dying but she did make Ned promise something.

Also, when Dany is in the House of the Undying, she see's her brother Rhaegar holding his son (Dany's nephew) and declaring the child to be the Prince that Was Promised: and then saying that they still need a third. We also know from a couple of throw-away lines that Rhaegar's wife, Elia, couldn't have more kids after Aegon. So, if Rhaegar wanted a 3rd, then he needed a new mother.

I seem to recall that there are a lot more subtle clues: but it's been 10 years since I remember worrying too much about it! (I'll probably die before Martin finishes this thing...)

Love Game of Thrones. Reading the book now, as well. Better than Tolkien, though? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. History will be the judge, but I doubt anyone will ever outdo Tolkien. Remember - he, along with Robert Howard (Conan the Barbarian) created the fantasy genre. Before them, there wasn't fantasy writing, elves, dwarves, etc.. Tolkien created an entire world and culture with his writings.

True. However, what Tolkien did not do was create characters, and Martin excels at that. Tolkien was one of the last adherents to the old ideas that everybody belongs to a type, i.e., the same type as your parent. He was one of the last of the true Tories. (The modern Tories really are 19th century Liberals, i.e., capitalists, whom Tolkien despised.)

Martin's characters are quite fascinating and really run the spectrum. Moreover, the politics that are central to the plot and foils for Martin's stories simply have no equivalents in Tolkienverse: what little politicking existed was pretty clumsy and simply unveiling a !King! was enough for most people.

On the note of how bloody long Martin is taking.....

http://www.paulandst...rge-r-r-martin/
Gods don't play dice with the universe, they are the dice of the universe: our job is to figure out how many sides and dice!

#38 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

BUMP!!!!!

It's back this Sunday!

#39 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

BUMP!!!!!

It's back this Sunday!

And new Doctor Who tonight! I finally got around to buying The Hobbit BluRay, which I watched last night. And MLB starts on Monday.

Best.

Weekend.

EVER!!!!!

#40 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

And new Doctor Who tonight!

I completely forgot about Dr. Who tonight. sweet!!

#41 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

And new Doctor Who tonight!

I completely forgot about Dr. Who tonight. sweet!!

Screw you guys and your BBC America access. This weekend PBS is going me the Weeping Angels, FROM 2010!!!!

#42 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

And then I watch my 3-year old doctor who and am like ZOMG! This is better than a hamburger.

#43 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

And then I watch my 3-year old doctor who and am like ZOMG! This is better than a hamburger.

The Weeping Angels are by far the creepiest villains on the show.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#44 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Ehh, the Atraxi are it for me. The Weeping Angels are creepy though.

#45 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

Ehh, the Atraxi are it for me. The Weeping Angels are creepy though.

The Silence aren't bad either.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).