The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

HAHAHA nerd humor. Gotta love it.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#48 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Yes...I came out of the nerd closet about a year ago and life is soooooooooooo much better.

#49 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yes...I came out of the nerd closet about a year ago and life is soooooooooooo much better.

Everyone on this board has nerd tendencies. Why else would we argue over some of the stuff we do.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#50 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

You have not combined all of your geekiness until you play centerfield for an inning wearing a Tom Baker scarf and with a battle axe in your belt shouting "KING OF THE NORTH!!!" every time you want to catch the ball.
Gods don't play dice with the universe, they are the dice of the universe: our job is to figure out how many sides and dice!

#51 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

You have not combined all of your geekiness until you play centerfield for an inning wearing a Tom Baker scarf and with a battle axe in your belt shouting "KING OF THE NORTH!!!" every time you want to catch the ball.

I could curse the Daleks every time I strike out.

Interesting observations.

The blonde dragon queen lady's protector in GoT is the same actor as the Bishop soldier in the "Weeping Angels" Doctor Who episodes.

King Robert is/was the same actor that was Heath Ledger's squire in "A Knight's Tale".

#52 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

The premiere was fine, but I do wonder at what point the sprawling landscape of story lines and characters serves to "slow down" episodes too much. Attending to everyone really made it feel like nothing happened.

#53 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

The premiere was fine, but I do wonder at what point the sprawling landscape of story lines and characters serves to "slow down" episodes too much. Attending to everyone really made it feel like nothing happened.

It's true. Cept Arya wasn't in it at all, and she's my favorite character :-/ have you read the books? Because the way books 4 and 5 are written are going to make it really hard on the producers of the show.

#54 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

It's true. Cept Arya wasn't in it at all, and she's my favorite character :-/ have you read the books? Because the way books 4 and 5 are written are going to make it really hard on the producers of the show.

I haven't read the books. In fact, I've worked very hard to make sure I know nothing about the books.

#55 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

I haven't read the books. In fact, I've worked very hard to make sure I know nothing about the books.

okey dokey. did you like the walking dead finale?

#56 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

okey dokey. did you like the walking dead finale?

Loved it. It wasn't as, like, surprise-y as you'd expect from a finale on a show like that, but I really enjoyed it. You?

#57 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Loved it. It wasn't as, like, surprise-y as you'd expect from a finale on a show like that, but I really enjoyed it. You?

I was sort of "meh" about it. I wasn't really that impressed with this season very much, though. I thought there were a lot of story lines that didn't really go anywhere or sort of started and then just went away without being talked about again. I guess I prefer more twisty-turny sort of plot stuff.

#58 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

I was sort of "meh" about it. I wasn't really that impressed with this season very much, though. I thought there were a lot of story lines that didn't really go anywhere or sort of started and then just went away without being talked about again. I guess I prefer more twisty-turny sort of plot stuff.

I know that they replaced show runner Glenn Mazzara after a few episodes were done, so that probably has a lot to do with how things panned out. I was kind of disappointed in the finale, probably because the storyline really hasn't gone anywhere. Starting out next season, we could be right back to the governor vs. the people in the prison, which was pretty much where things were at after the second episode. That, and we have to wait until the end of October for the new season.

#59 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

I know that they replaced show runner Glenn Mazzara after a few episodes were done, so that probably has a lot to do with how things panned out. I was kind of disappointed in the finale, probably because the storyline really hasn't gone anywhere. Starting out next season, we could be right back to the governor vs. the people in the prison, which was pretty much where things were at after the second episode. That, and we have to wait until the end of October for the new season.

See, *SPOILER ALERT* ...

I was glad they didn't kill off the Governor yet, because that felt like it was where things were going. It would have been too obvious. I also thought it was going to be obvious that Andrea would escape. No dice. I like things like that, when our expectations are violated (in a positive, productive way).

My main problem: why would the take the Woodbury people back to the prison? Why not just move into Woodbury? They've got electricity and shit.

#60 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

The blonde dragon queen lady's protector in GoT is the same actor as the Bishop soldier in the "Weeping Angels" Doctor Who episodes.

King Robert is/was the same actor that was Heath Ledger's squire in "A Knight's Tale".

Ian Glen (Ser Jorah) was also Sir Richard in Downton Abbey. He does the "Knightly" thing, it seems.

Mark Addy (King Robert) has been in several things, including The Full Monty. (He was the "fat one.")

Julian Glover, who plays Grand Maester Pycelle, really piles up the Geek Score: he was General Veer in Empire Strikes Back (the guy leading the Walkers in the opening scenes) and Count Scarlioni in the Tom Baker Doctor Who story "City of Death." Count Scarlioni has come up a bit recently: some people think that Clara might be similar to Scarlioni.

They almost certainly will be merged and then split. They actually are doing that now: Season 3 is going to do only part of "Storm of Swords" and the rest next year. (Season 4 already has been commissioned.) This will give His Glacialness more time to complete "Winds of Winter": but that's only the penultimate volume! (I'm going to die without knowing who Jon Snow's mother is.....)

If you have not seen it yet, then this is highly amusing: http://www.paulandst...rge-r-r-martin/

Yeah, I can see that. Books telling this sort of multiprotagonist story have simpler options, such as devoting Chapter 1 to Protagonist A, Chapter 2 to Protagonist B, etc. However, that wouldn't translate well to TV or film.

The "sprawlingness" is important, though, as there are a lot of parallelisms between the different protagonists' trajectories. (Of course, there had better be: otherwise, there would be no story!)

Gods don't play dice with the universe, they are the dice of the universe: our job is to figure out how many sides and dice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).