MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

It's not a book I'd read I'm not a fan of large epics that require geneology to fully understand the characters and I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre. I prefer books that are about inanimate objects journeying to the holy land (Skinny Legs and All) basically the novels I love either embrace the absurd or are internal character struggle of a few characters. But I love the films/shows that come out of the fantasy genre.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#77 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

I love either embrace the absurd or are internal character struggle of a few characters. But I love the films/shows that come out of the fantasy genre.

Actually, the stories are very much about internal character struggles: it's just that the characters happen to be in a fantastic background. That said, it's not a "few": there are, like, a gazilliion protagonists.

To that end, I think that the TV show has done a really good job it's first couple of years: people are constantly stuck in these "Moral A says that this is the RIGHT thing to do; Moral B says that this is the WRONG thing to do; ergo, I will ....." Jaimie Lannister's little soliloquy last year really summed it up: what happens when you vow to protect X, Y and Z but X, Y and Z are all out to ruin each other?
Gods don't play dice with the universe, they are the dice of the universe: our job is to figure out how many sides and dice!

#78 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

It's not a book I'd read I'm not a fan of large epics that require geneology to fully understand the characters and I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre. I prefer books that are about inanimate objects journeying to the holy land (Skinny Legs and All) basically the novels I love either embrace the absurd or are internal character struggle of a few characters. But I love the films/shows that come out of the fantasy genre.

Skinny Legs, Still Life, and Jitterbug... All awesome.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#79 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

They didn't even get to Theon or Arya in the opener at all.

#80 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

Or Winterfell at all.

#81 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Or Winterfell at all.

Winterfell was smoking in the credit intro thing. I missed Arya; she's my favorite.

#82 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

Personally, I prefer it when they drop everything else, and focus on a single storyline for an episode (kinda like the books). By far, the best episode last season was the battle for King's Landing, and that was 100% all in one location. Obviously it's easier to do that when you have multiple characters/storylines converging though, and it requires a lot of tablesetting to get there.

#83 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Personally, I prefer it when they drop everything else, and focus on a single storyline for an episode (kinda like the books). By far, the best episode last season was the battle for King's Landing, and that was 100% all in one location.

Also, that episode was exceptional in many ways. As you note, it was a confluence of story lines that happened to be at the same place. But also, it had a lot of intense action at a scale we haven't seen before: really, it was like watching the Battle of Helm's Deep in Lord of the Rings or something. That was great: but it would get mundane if they did it too often. Fun as it was, it really didn't advance the story very much: it was just plot. After a bit, people will want to get back to story.

In a way, Battle of Blackwater was sort of like a 10-run inning: it's a lot of fun once in a while (assuming that your guys are getting the 10 runs), but if they became too common, then they'd probably get dull!

(If anyone here watched Babylon 5 15-20 years ago, then you'll remember "Severed Dreams," which was basically one long battle episode in Season 3. It was the only one like it, and greatly entertaining in part because it was the only one like it.)

At any rate, the ratings were so high that HBO (again!) renewed it for next season after the first episode. Let's see how many years this can keep going: I'm hoping for a few more!
Gods don't play dice with the universe, they are the dice of the universe: our job is to figure out how many sides and dice!

#84 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

But also, it had a lot of intense action at a scale we haven't seen before: really, it was like watching the Battle of Helm's Deep in Lord of the Rings or something. That was great: but it would get mundane if they did it too often. Fun as it was, it really didn't advance the story very much: it was just plot. After a bit, people will want to get back to story.

Absolutely. The story (and the characters) is why people love this show. Also though, I don't think they have the money in their budget to do something like that episode very often.

#85 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Tonight's episode was freakin amazing.

#86 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

Tonight's episode was freakin amazing.

I am intrigued by where the Tyrien storyline is going.

#87 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

I have a feeling I'm not going to like Theons story this season at all.

#88 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

By the way, I COMPLETELY take back my last post about Theon. His story is going to be EPIC. And this Sunday is gonna be the best episode of the season until the ninth episode of this year.

#89 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

By the way, I COMPLETELY take back my last post about Theon. His story is going to be EPIC. And this Sunday is gonna be the best episode of the season until the ninth episode of this year.

I'm just glad the blonde Khalisi isn't as annoying anymore.

#90 ncsujuri

ncsujuri

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Facebook:ncsujuri
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Just found this thread....HOORAY!!!!!

Anyone know who that guy was that saved Theon from getting sodomized after taking a mace to the chest??? That's been driving me crazy!!!!

- It's a great day for a ballgame, LET'S PLAY TWO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).