#107 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

As a book reader, I knew what was going to happen.

And the bastards still managed to make it more awful than it was in the book!  And by "more awful," I mean it was even crueler to behold than it was to read.  Hey!  Didn't get enough of Ned Stark dying in Season 1?  Well, it's 50:50 that another Ned Stark just died!

When the book came out, a lot of fans swore off the series . . . .

I quit reading after the third book, due in large part to just that.  Also due in part to the fact that I don't think Martin knows where the hell the story is going... like a soap opera, I think he intends it to keep going and going.

The Great Gatsby tells one of the best stories ever told in well under 200 pages. After reading over 3000 pages of Game of Thrones, I don't feel a bit closer to any resolution than I did after reading the first page. Not all writers need to be Fitzgerald, but they do all need to be going somewhere with their writing... if they want me in their readership, anyway.

There are aspects of Martin's writing that I really like, but the endless meandering makes me feel like the time I spend reading his books is wasted. That's not the way I like to feel after reading.

I expect to feel like I've wasted time after watching TV, so I'll most likely follow the show for awhile... until it pisses me off as much as the books.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#108 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

So. Much. Win.

That was awesome.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#109 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

As a book reader, I knew what was going to happen.

And the bastards still managed to make it more awful than it was in the book!  And by "more awful," I mean it was even crueler to behold than it was to read.  Hey!  Didn't get enough of Ned Stark dying in Season 1?  Well, it's 50:50 that another Ned Stark just died!

When the book came out, a lot of fans swore off the series . . . .

I quit reading after the third book, due in large part to just that.  Also due in part to the fact that I don't think Martin knows where the hell the story is going... like a soap opera, I think he intends it to keep going and going.

The Great Gatsby tells one of the best stories ever told in well under 200 pages. After reading over 3000 pages of Game of Thrones, I don't feel a bit closer to any resolution than I did after reading the first page. Not all writers need to be Fitzgerald, but they do all need to be going somewhere with their writing... if they want me in their readership, anyway.

There are aspects of Martin's writing that I really like, but the endless meandering makes me feel like the time I spend reading his books is wasted. That's not the way I like to feel after reading.

I expect to feel like I've wasted time after watching TV, so I'll most likely follow the show for awhile... until it pisses me off as much as the books.

I dunno, I like the meandering.  In 5 years, will any of the characters on the show now still be alive? Will the not-able-to-walk-Stark suddenly be able to walk and become King? Will Jaime and Ceresi Lannester make more incest babies? Will Joffrey explode violently when I go on set to kill him?  Will the red-headed-fire-witch and the blonde-dragon-lady finally have a moment of passion on the screen?

I AM IN SUSPENSE!

#110 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

I dunno, I like the meandering.

Books or TV?

My Ignore List:

#111 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Books or TV?

TV, I may have to pony up for the books one of these days.

#112 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Books or TV?

Like I said, there are aspects of his writing that are great. For my money, I can deal with the no-end-in-sight nature of the story much easier onscreen than in print. If I'd gone into the books knowing there would never be any closure, it might not have been so annoying.

Be warned that Martin is not a young man and does not have the kind of physique that inspires confidence in his longevity. I wouldn't bet the farm on his living long enough to wrap it up.

My Ignore List:

#113 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Books or TV?

Like I said, there are aspects of his writing that are great. For my money, I can deal with the no-end-in-sight nature of the story much easier onscreen than in print. If I'd gone into the books knowing there would never be any closure, it might not have been so annoying.

Be warned that Martin is not a young man and does not have the kind of physique that inspires confidence in his longevity. I wouldn't bet the farm on his living long enough to wrap it up.

Thank YOU, Robert Jordan.

#114 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

Books or TV?

Yeah, that sucked. I haven't—and won't—read Wheel, but I've got friends who were livid... probably still are.

My Ignore List:

#115 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Yeah, that sucked. I haven't—and won't—read Wheel, but I've got friends who were livid... probably still are.

You know, I won't go into it (but beeeeeelieeeeve me, I could), but it was a bummer.  I was really skeptical at first when Sanderson was brought in to finish the series, and was pretty unhappy with the first book he co-wrote, but there's this scene 3/4 of the way through his first book that's just amazing, almost like you could see the new author suddenly find his footing.  I know Jordan had many chunks -- even some chapters written -- when he died, but it was still a great moment.  The next two (final) books were pretty strong.

And I'd encourage you to read them.  They're pretty great.  And it *does* end.

After 10,000 pages or so.

#116 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

And I'd encourage you to read them.  They're pretty great.

I will un-rule it out. You've put me on to some pretty good music.

My Ignore List:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).