14 replies to this topic

#1 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

I put this in the comments as a response to a discussion. It was supposed to be a quick comment but the words just kept coming out. And I feel it's written better than most of the stuff I post. (Notice I did not say it was written well, just better.)

I find myself drifting farther from the NFL and football in general the older I get.
1) As I/we learn more about head injuries, I pray every day my boy will choose cross country. As a teenager, I lived, breathed and bled football. Now older wiser and more risk averse, it just seems too dangerous.
2) I can still name the 24 starters on the ’85 Bears. They’ve had some good teams, but I have come to the realization that they will NEVER be as good. And it always leads to disappointment. Of course I would not stop watching solely because of this. But in conjunction with the other reasons, it’s a factor.
3) Excessive celebration. I really didn’t mind the TO show or ” The greatest show on turf” celebrations AFTER TOUCHDOWNS. But the dog and pony stuff after each sack or loss? Or even gain? Does Peppers have a dance? I really don’t know if i am selectively missing him. Oh and thanks WR for letting me know you made a first down. Maybe the network should come up with a graphic so the viewers at home would know where the 1st down is and you wouldn’t have to do that nonsense anymore. Really. I turned on a college game and was shocked when the defender and ball carrier just got up and went back to their respective huddles.

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

3) Excessive celebration.

This. Ten thousand times this.

I've seen a defender celebrate after giving up a first down.
I've seen players celebrate on plays in which they were flagged and ultimately cost their team yards.
I've seen a receiver celebrate after going out of bounds early and not making the first down on a third down play.
I'm pretty sure I've seen a kick returner celebrate on a fair catch.

One of these days we're going to turn on a game and watch the fifth string left tackle break out into dance over his team winning the coin toss.

It's stupid, pointless, distracting, often disgraceful, and need to be reigned in.

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Dear God YES to #3. If I see another defensive player celebrate after giving up more than 2 yards I am going to reach through the TV and strangle them.

Don't get me started on players on both sides of the ball looking for a flag after a dropped pass or completion. It'd be no different than a batter looking for catcher interference after a horrible swing and miss (like Matt Garza bad).

If I have to hear another football announcer talk about a team's hustle, grit, determination, heart, hustle, momentum...I am going to SCREAM. Seriously, I imagine this is what watching ESPN cover 1960's baseball would be like.

Edit: I think this partially ties into player safety. If guys were less concerned about making SportCenter's Top Plays and more concerned about making a solid tackle there'd be a couple less head injuries. That and removing players facemasks.

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

I don't like the long delays in games. People complain baseball is slow because very little happens between pitches, but I think football is a worse offender. It's at least 30 seconds between plays (unless it's Oregon), they always have to wait for the chains to get adjusted after first downs, instant replay/lengthy referee conversations (not exactly a bad thing but it does slow the pace of the game) are more common, and they'll just stop the game in the middle of a drive for a television break. That's ridiculous! Could you imagine an umpire making the game stop for a couple minutes rather than just after every inning and pitching change?

#5 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

I agree with your initial point on concussions, Pete. Let's face it, 99.9% of players in the NFL are using HGH and/or steroids (at least this is my opinion), and the NFL does absolutely nothing about it. They continue to change the rules to make hitting less extreme while ignoring the root cause of the problem - you have 300 lb. men running 4.4 40's. Speaking of the '85 Bears, remember 'The Fridge' being such a huge man? These days, I dare say he wouldn't even be an average size lineman.

Anyhow, my displeasure with the NFL is they continue to change the rules to protect the players, and the penalties are becoming more and more decisive in who wins the game (like the NBA). They wouldn't need all these contact rules if the players were closer to normal size, but they have done nothing to address PED's in a sport where it is most obviously being abused.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#6 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

Luke,
You agree with my main point, but I wonder where you were with TD celebrations?
Hans,
I completely forgot about the pass interference. It's like the NFL is going to penalize the WR for not throwing his hands up.
"We have a lack of protest penalty on #85 on the offense. 5 yards and repeat 3rd down."
Mitten,
Agree. I have some games from the 80's on vhs. I should watch and time commercials and compare to a current game.
Tommy,
The fish rots from the head... or something like that. Yes the NFL is treating a symptom instead of the problem. I know I was brought up as a "tough guy" and more than likely got a couple concussions which may or may not affect me today. Small town Iowa HS football scares the hell out of me for my son. I believe what you are saying about the NFL, and the NFL ties into kids playing for sure. But the violent nature of the game itself, at any level, scares me.

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

I fall on both sides of the celebration controversy. I don't like the in-the-middle-of-a-drive celebrations, but miss the now banned TD celebrations. The TD celebrations to me were fun and funny.

I totally see where you are coming from Pete with your kids. My oldest played flag for the first time last year and I was one of the coaches. I was wishing all year that they had helmets on. The parents in the stands came up with the term flackle because almost every time a flag got pulled it was also an unintentional tackle. There were a few head injuries and this was with 7 & 8 year old kids. As much as I loved playing and making big hits in my youth, I wouldn't mind in the least if he didn't want to play. Unfortunately, he really likes it. At least I take solace that he won't be carrying the ball next year when he moves up to tackle. He is already over the weight limit. No, he's not fat just that big (he's already 4'-7" and 85 lbs).

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I agree with your initial point on concussions, Pete. Let's face it, 99.9% of players in the NFL are using HGH and/or steroids (at least this is my opinion), and the NFL does absolutely nothing about it. They continue to change the rules to make hitting less extreme while ignoring the root cause of the problem - you have 300 lb. men running 4.4 40's. Speaking of the '85 Bears, remember 'The Fridge' being such a huge man? These days, I dare say he wouldn't even be an average size lineman.

Anyhow, my displeasure with the NFL is they continue to change the rules to protect the players, and the penalties are becoming more and more decisive in who wins the game (like the NBA). They wouldn't need all these contact rules if the players were closer to normal size, but they have done nothing to address PED's in a sport where it is most obviously being abused.

The problem is there isn't a stat in football that is as visible to see the PED usage like HR's in baseball, or it could just be that we are seeing the NFL version of MLB Circa: 1998 play out right now and in 10 years all of the football pundits will be crying about how the players of today were cheating and they lied about it.

Cubbie Blues (Tim?):
Yes, when it comes to scoring a touchdown, I don't really care how they celebrate, they earned it. But for tackling a guy AFTER he gains serious yardage? Bah humbug.

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

To point 1, this latest on Junior Seau in the NYTimes today.
http://www.nytimes.c...sease.html?_r=0

It is difficult to reconcile the damage done with the sport we grew up loving. And it doesn't have to be football. Any word on testing being done for Ryan Freel?

#11 Justen

Justen

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Twitter:sprtswiz1
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

• I am a huge football fan and love watching the NFL and college games every weekend but I definitely find myself being more and more angry and fed up with the sport over the past few years. I agree with the point on celebrations that it has gotten excessive for basically meaningless plays. I am fine with a guy celebrating a touchdown or something that is actually game changing but when a guy does a dance or the “first down” signal after getting a 10 yard play it is extremely annoying. The main thing that gets me upset about the game now is all the rule changes and a flag coming out on every play. Guys on defense cant do anything anymore and if they do go hit a guy to try and stop him from catching the ball it is either a hit on a defenseless receiver or helmet to helmet or something else that is just ridiculous. Of course the guy is defenseless he is using both hands to try to catch the ball, it’s the defenders job to stop that. I understand that it is a safety thing but these guys know what they are getting into when they play the game. If you don’t like it then don’t play. To me it is no different then people who choose to still smoke when they know it can possibly give them cancer. You take that chance when you smoke so you can blame the cigarette company when you get cancer because there is a warning on the box. Same with football. You know there is a chance that you will have brain damage or your legs will be worthless when you turn 50 but that is your choice, you knew what you were getting into. Let the guys play the game and stop with the stupid flags.

#12 tousom

tousom

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

• I am a huge football fan and love watching the NFL and college games every weekend but I definitely find myself being more and more angry and fed up with the sport over the past few years. I agree with the point on celebrations that it has gotten excessive for basically meaningless plays. I am fine with a guy celebrating a touchdown or something that is actually game changing but when a guy does a dance or the “first down” signal after getting a 10 yard play it is extremely annoying. The main thing that gets me upset about the game now is all the rule changes and a flag coming out on every play. Guys on defense cant do anything anymore and if they do go hit a guy to try and stop him from catching the ball it is either a hit on a defenseless receiver or helmet to helmet or something else that is just ridiculous. Of course the guy is defenseless he is using both hands to try to catch the ball, it’s the defenders job to stop that. I understand that it is a safety thing but these guys know what they are getting into when they play the game. If you don’t like it then don’t play. To me it is no different then people who choose to still smoke when they know it can possibly give them cancer. You take that chance when you smoke so you can blame the cigarette company when you get cancer because there is a warning on the box. Same with football. You know there is a chance that you will have brain damage or your legs will be worthless when you turn 50 but that is your choice, you knew what you were getting into. Let the guys play the game and stop with the stupid flags.
For the NFL, I prefer football. In my opinion, although he somewhat violent, but overall still good. Limb collision is inevitable, but still limited.
Personally, I prefer watching the World Cup and La Liga.
Now the league has begun a long time. But is looking forward to the World Cup 2014 (Spam link removed by MG)

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

That was a way too much effort to just spam a message board.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

That was a way too much effort to just spam a message board.

It's a Quote Fail, too.  I suspect Spriggs.

#15 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:55 AM

speaking about football, my Lions are terrible once again mainly due to the fact that we have a former child star as a QB

tumblr_mtt062WAde1qzc079o1_400.jpg

tumblr_mtt062WAde1qzc079o2_500.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).