Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Please no more Justin Upton to the Cubs ideas...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I don't think that the Cubs would really benefit from acquiring Upton, especially considering that they would have to give up the farm for him. We are just now starting to create a respectable system, especially compared to what it was not too long ago. I really don't want to throw that all away. Maybe I am not seeing the big picture, but from what I am seeing, I don't want Upton. Stanton, maybe, only if we don't have to trade the farm for him. ;)

#2 NyWinning1216

NyWinning1216

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter:NyWinning1216
  • Facebook:Adam Nywening

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

I'm not really a fan of Upton either. He's put up decent numbers every year but he's not really the kind of guy you'd invest your future in. His attitude isn't the greatest. I'd like the Cubs to acquire a guy like Stanton instead but I'm not exactly sure the Cubs have the pieces to get a Stanton deal done. And, if they do, then it would mean a huge depletion of the farm and I'm not sure that's what Theo and Jed want going forward.

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I think I'm agreeing with both of you. I think we've already tried trading our farm for talent and that hasn't gotten us to the WS. I'm more for keeping our best talent in the minors now, at least until the point where we think we're so close it would put us over the top, and then, only if the position(s) we trade away are locked up for years on the ML club.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#4 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm gonna have to disagree with all three of you. At 25 he is still a guy you can build around and he has a decent contract. I'm not buying the bad attitude argument (remember Castro has had make-up issues as well) but that is just my opinion. As far as stats, the big knock on him was that he was awful last year even though he put up a 280/355/430 line which is in no way horrible plus he was playing with a thumb injury that likely hampered his Slug%. On top of that his BB% went up and his BABIP and K% stayed basically steady. He is still one of the few guys that offered 30-30 potential (more likely 30-20) while playing average D. I agree to not giving the farm but anything that could get done without having to give up Baez I think is a no-brainer. Just too much potential to not jump in my opinion

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

I'm gonna have to disagree with all three of you. At 25 he is still a guy you can build around and he has a decent contract. I'm not buying the bad attitude argument (remember Castro has had make-up issues as well) but that is just my opinion. As far as stats, the big knock on him was that he was awful last year even though he put up a 280/355/430 line which is in no way horrible plus he was playing with a thumb injury that likely hampered his Slug%. On top of that his BB% went up and his BABIP and K% stayed basically steady. He is still one of the few guys that offered 30-30 potential (more likely 30-20) while playing average D. I agree to not giving the farm but anything that could get done without having to give up Baez I think is a no-brainer. Just too much potential to not jump in my opinion

Good points, but it just seems inevitable that we will have to give up the farm for him if we want to get him. That is really my concern. I am not buying any of the rumors out on him about his attitude because we don't really know, just more of a he said she said kind of thing there.

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

I think this is all rendered irrelevant when he has the Cubs listed under his no trade clause. He already vetoed one to Seattle which is telling considering that they're a noncontender but closer to contention than the Cubs (both offenses are gonna be putrid but Seattle has a better staff as it stands). I doubt he'd go to a worse team even though he'd put up better offensive numbers at Wrigley

#7 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

I think this is all rendered irrelevant when he has the Cubs listed under his no trade clause. He already vetoed one to Seattle which is telling considering that they're a noncontender but closer to contention than the Cubs (both offenses are gonna be putrid but Seattle has a better staff as it stands). I doubt he'd go to a worse team even though he'd put up better offensive numbers at Wrigley

I think the Cubs being on this list is just a leverage play since they seem to be into the whole buy low thing, but with that being said unless Garza/Shark are involved i dont think the Cubs have the arms to get a deal done. They could offer solid hitting specs but if the Dbacks want at least solid arms back the Cubs have no shot. Im shocked they turned down Olt + Holland, but they must trust Chris Johnson more than most people.

With the newfound rotation depth would a Garza-spec for Upton deal be a good move for the Cubs? No idea if the Dbacks have interest but I'd take a shot if i was in Theo's shoes

#8 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

My gut thinks that Jorge Soler will put up similar numbers that Justin Upton does.

#9 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

My gut thinks that Jorge Soler will put up similar numbers that Justin Upton does.

That's a huge presumption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).