#16 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I remember the Trib's sports section's headline the next day: "Sandberg Back With A Bang!"

Our family always got the Sun-Times. Their headlines probably said "Damn Sandberg. Cubs Win Again".

#17 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I remember the Trib's sports section's headline the next day: "Sandberg Back With A Bang!"

Our family always got the Sun-Times. Their headlines probably said "Damn Sandberg. Cubs Win Again".

My grandparents got both, but I never read the Sun-Times. Hated the backwards format of the sports section. And, growing up, it always seemed like the Sun-Times was the White Sox paper (go figure).

#18 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Only thing I liked was not having to mess with all the different sections. But sharing was a problem. And yeah, the lousier the Cubs were doing, it seemed the more coverage they seemed to get.

My grandparents got both, but I never read the Sun-Times. Hated the backwards format of the sports section. And, growing up, it always seemed like the Sun-Times was the White Sox paper (go figure).

#19 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Not sure what happened there...

#20 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm drawing a complete blank on this one, but ...

When I last saw a replay of the game, what struck me --- other than Sandberg's performance --- was the top of the 10th. A Cardinal (McGee?) hit a high foul ball down the left field line very close to the Bartman location. The Cubs left fielder (Gary Matthews Sr.?) went over and a fan knocked the ball away before he could catch it. There was no reaction from the Cubs. The Cardinal hitter then got a hit that was an important part of their 2-run rally. There was a lot of deja vu. But the Cubs of 1984, especially Sandberg, seemed to have more grit than those of 2003, and came back to tie and win the game.

My memory is a wee bit hazy on some details, so some of you with clearer memories can correct me.

I don't remmeber that play. Didn't McGee hit for the cycle in the game? I do recall that it was the game of the week and Kubek and Costas gave the player of the game to McGee.

Wow. So in a historic game that has come to be one of the defining moments in the career of one of the greatest players in the history of the game, he wasn't even the player of the game!

Baseball is so crazy!

#21 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

When I last saw a replay of the game, what struck me --- other than Sandberg's performance --- was the top of the 10th. A Cardinal (McGee?) hit a high foul ball down the left field line very close to the Bartman location. The Cubs left fielder (Gary Matthews Sr.?) went over and a fan knocked the ball away before he could catch it. There was no reaction from the Cubs. The Cardinal hitter then got a hit that was an important part of their 2-run rally. There was a lot of deja vu. But the Cubs of 1984, especially Sandberg, seemed to have more grit than those of 2003, and came back to tie and win the game.

My memory is a wee bit hazy on some details, so some of you with clearer memories can correct me.

I don't remmeber that play. Didn't McGee hit for the cycle in the game? I do recall that it was the game of the week and Kubek and Costas gave the player of the game to McGee.

Wow. So in a historic game that has come to be one of the defining moments in the career of one of the greatest players in the history of the game, he wasn't even the player of the game!

Baseball is so crazy!

If I remember correctly, they used to name the Player of the Game before the end, like around the 8th inning.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#22 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Baseball is so crazy!

If I remember correctly, they used to name the Player of the Game before the end, like around the 8th inning.

That's true. It isn't as bad as it sounded. The 8th inning is probably correct.

#23 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

No, they named McGee the player of the game in the 9th or 10th, but after Sandberg's 2nd HR, they backtracked and named McGee and Sandberg co-players of the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).