WTNY_Podcast

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:WTNYPodcast
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/WaitTilNextYear

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

So, I'm a long time lurker, and I decided to register so I could get some advice on my fantasy league keepers. The league I am in allows us to keep any five players drafted after the 5th round (we have 25 rounds). If we keep someone, we lose the draft pick 2 rounds before they were picked the year before, unless we put a franchise tag on them, then we do not lose a draft pick. So for instance, if I drafted a guy in the 16th round, last year, I can keep him, but I lose my 14th round pick. We can also keep them each year, but every year, the draft picks we lose, move up by 2 rounds, so eventually, it won't be cost effective to keep certain guys. (If we keep a minor leaguer we drafted, we lose the pick in the last round. If we keep three minor leaguers or three undrafted free agents, we lose the last three picks, and so on.)

So this year, I've pretty much made my choices, except for my fifth spot.

1) Dustin Pedroia (Franchise)

2) Starlin Castro (15th round)

3) Anthony Rizzo (25th round)

4) Bryce Harper (24th round)

5) Jeff Samardzija (23rd round) or Yu Darvish (23rd round)

The reason, Bryce Harper is so cheap is because I picked him up in our minor league draft. (Yes, how nerdy are we that we have a minor league draft?) Same for Yu Darvish. Castro, I picked up in the late rounds a few years ago, so he's still pretty cost effective. Rizzo, I snagged from the undrafted free agent pool last year just before the Cubs called him up, Samardzija, too.

So here's my dilemma. Do I keep Shark or Darvish? Our categories are Walks, K's, Wins, Losses, Saves, Holds, ERA, and WHIP. Any thoughts?

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Darvish, in order to avoid jinxing Shark. I would almost argue to keep both over Dustin Pedroia. BTW, welcome to the jungle.

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'd also keep both over Pedroia.

But between two, I'd keep Shark.

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I'd also keep both over Pedroia.

But between two, I'd keep Shark.

Three Cubs in one lineup is kind of asking for it.

#5 WTNY_Podcast

WTNY_Podcast

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:WTNYPodcast
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/WaitTilNextYear

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

If I dump Pedroia, though, I'm trying to figure out who would be a better 2B option.

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

If I dump Pedroia, though, I'm trying to figure out who would be a better 2B option.

Tony Campana.

Duh.

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Tony Campana.

Duh.

Are you kidding me? Clearly DJ LeMahieu - since he was traded from the Cubs he is CLEARLY the greatest all-star ever!

Is Tyler Colvin available? If not, I'd recommend trading all of those guys for him. Babe Ruth * Barry Bonds + Ted Williams ^ Koyie Hill.

For reals though, it depends on who is available at 2B and how many teams. I'd lean towards keeping him and dropping him and keeping Darvish. In the league I am in there wasn't that big of a drop from Pedroia to the next tier of 2B but not many front line SP.

Or you could just trade for Cano. He is a stud.

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to keep Andrelton Simmons, a GG caliber SS who hits for average and gets on base or two of Rendon/Taveras/Hamilton who probably won't be in the Majors until September but are all legit top 20 prospects

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to keep Andrelton Simmons, a GG caliber SS who hits for average and gets on base or two of Rendon/Taveras/Hamilton who probably won't be in the Majors until September but are all legit top 20 prospects

I think Rendon is going to be a nightmare due to injuries. I was kind of hoping he would develop faster and give the Cubs a shot at Zimmerman, but it looks like Zimmerman might be done at third anyways. I think Hamilton will be up before September, and Taveras might be the top bat in the minors if Wil Myers stays up with Tampa. Simmons is tough to pass on, but shortstop is becoming a fairly stacked position. I'd keep Taveras and Hamilton.

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yeah he's not only blocked by Zimmerman, but also at 1B and OF I was thinking he might be traded away because there are a dearth of quality 3rd basemen on the market this offseason

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hamilton might be up sooner than that. My guess is June/July.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

yeah, I'm also taking into account that Dusty will play an underperforming vet over a rookie any day of the week. Look no further than Scott Rolen/Todd Fraizer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).