Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

So, I think we're all in one way or another happy/excited that we have the second overall pick in the 2013 draft. However, what upsets me is the consistent downplay of the talent in the draft. All I've heard about the draft in general (not the players individually) is that it is a generally weak group. This is disappointing for obvious reasons BUT I was wondering something. Even if it is a generally weak class, is it possible that a weak class doesn't necessarily affect the top 1-5 picks? By this I mean perhaps the top 3 players of most drafts are always obvious choices and then the strength of the class is actually determined by those following. I know there isn't an obvious trout or Harper, but I'm just trying to make myself feel better. What does the nation think?

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Before we can make assumptions like this I think it's important to let the spring baseball season plays out. Some guy who was a 3rd or 4th round talent in High School might emerge from puberty as an absolute beast who added 100 feet to his home run blasts and 10 MPH on his fastball.

Another thing to keep into consideration is that Trout wasn't selected until 25th overall (just a couple picks before BJax *cries*) so he wasn't THAT obvious.

Regardless, there are currently a few college pitchers (lead by Appel) at the top of the board who look like relatively safe picks. Then again, they might go Ankiel in their senior year. That's the beauty of baseball.

#3 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

I guess i understand that high school talents can emerge, but its still disappointing that there isn't a couple inarguable top talents. I know appel and Stanek are up there with a couple high school bats, but it just seems like an opportunity, and one you don't necessarily want to be found in often, is being hampered.

#4 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Long long way to the amature draft. I wouldn't even concern yourself with what ifs.
I doubt teams have even set their draft boards yet and certantly don't know who they are going to pick.
There is still a full high school and collage season to be played yet.

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Fingers crossed that there is a good pitcher near the top not named Mark Appel. :rolleyes:

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I really hope a top catching prospect emerges. That's the biggest hole in their system (none in their top 30). I have no problem with them getting the "best available player" with the #2 overall pick, but they need to start targeting catchers in the earlier rounds or in the international market. This isn't to say I'm not sold on Wellington Castillo, he could wind up being okay but holy depth problems batman! Also, having really good catchers will help our pitching prospects out.

#7 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

I really hope a top catching prospect emerges. That's the biggest hole in their system (none in their top 30). I have no problem with them getting the "best available player" with the #2 overall pick, but they need to start targeting catchers in the earlier rounds or in the international market. This isn't to say I'm not sold on Wellington Castillo, he could wind up being okay but holy depth problems batman! Also, having really good catchers will help our pitching prospects out.

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2013/02/mlb-draft-cubs-could-look-to-address-catching-shortage-early/
John does a good job with this round up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).