#1 BluBlud

BluBlud

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Ok, now I'm all of a sudden I'm a fangraphs addict.

Was just reading an article on Mike Trout. It actually old, from November 29th. But just in that article, I learned a whole lot about stats. A basic stat guy, like I used to be(I can say that now) would be ready to say Trout is going to hit .350 next year with 50HR and 125 RBI. He still might, but now there is reason to say whether he will or not.

Looking at stuff like his crazy high BABIP, one stat that I was already actually familar with , of .383, contributing to his high average of .326, it's not all that crazy to suggest that our own Starling Castro is actually a better all around hitter for average then Trout. Compare Trouts .383 which is probably a little high and on the lucky side according to the writer, Jeff Zimmerman, to Castro .315, 30 points below his career average for 2012 and as a result, his career low .283 average, and take both back to where they should be and you have 2 guys that maight both be right around .300 next yext. These number make you doubt trout hitting .350 like I would have though, despite his maturation.

If you look at his minor league numbers, which include 30 HR in 1200+ AB, including just 1 HR in 77 minor league ABs last year, there a chance that trout rookie season may end being his best season of his career. Do I believe that, not really. But there alot behinds his numbers that I would have never looked at that suggest that last season he was a really good baseball with a whole lot of luck.

Looking at his Run Value Heat Map, there is reason to believe he will see a lot of inside pitches next year, and without adjustments, he will not have the season he had this year.

This shit is actually cool.
JayAndersonJr

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Awesome, Jay. Your eagerness is awesome.

Fangraphs is, like, crazy town for that stuff. I love it.

Also check out Tom Tango's The Book. It's pretty dense, but it's really really descriptive about how wOBA, RC, and some other new-ish stats came about, and the reasoning behind them. I really loved the simple breakdown, early in the book, where he discusses "base states". It's a fascinating way of looking at the game.

#3 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'm a big fan of fangraphs, and probably would not have gone to that site if not for bleacher nation. There are a lot of people here who use advance stats, and I came across fangraphs when I was looking for a site to explain the advance stats and how they are derived. Learned a lot about the statistical side baseball from here and there. [nice thing about message board is there is still an edit button to correct mistakes]

#4 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

[nice thing about message board is there is still an edit button to correct mistakes]

Well, thtas not evan a concirn fir me.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#5 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

The one thing that may contribute to Trout's really high BABIP staying that high is his speed and ability to beat out grounders. Burners like Kenny Lofton, Ichiro, and others tend to have a really high BABIP that stays over the .290-.310 range. Heck, Tony Campana had a .351 BABIP last season.

Of course, Castro is no Bengie Molina so maybe he did have some lousy luck

#6 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

I try to avoid fangraphs these days. I'll get all excited about a day off from work, make a bunch of plans, then click on the fangraphs link in my browser links toolbar...BOOM...half the day is gone.
- die hard fanclub member #001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).