#16 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Hey, you guys should collect scorecards from the games!! this one should have been much easier than you made it out to be. Scorecards from each of these years are still quite affordable. spoiler alert, they published a reprint of the 1962 scorecard. Make sure the older ones say Neely printing on them.

Hey, Paul, just curious: do you collect used/filled-in scorecards, or blank ones?

I was wondering that too. I know the unscored ones are more expensive.

#17 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

I was three months old, so I don't really remember that game as well as you do.

Ouch. Crushed again.

#18 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Just looked it up (since I don't have the scored scorecard) and it says Ernie had a TRIPLE. I must have been playing with my Fort Apache set when that happened. Surely you remember Fort Apache, Phil!

He might have had a tripe, but he definitely had a triple.

Edited by Spriggs, 08 February 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#19 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Just looked it up (since I don't have the scored scorecard) and it says Ernie had a tripe. I must have been playing with my Fort Apache set when that happened. Surely you remember Fort Apache, Phil!

I never knew game meals were included on scorecards.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#20 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Just looked it up (since I don't have the scored scorecard) and it says Ernie had a tripe. I must have been playing with my Fort Apache set when that happened. Surely you remember Fort Apache, Phil!

I never knew game meals were included on scorecards.

damnit

#21 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

I collect both, It is obviously an obsession of mine. I like them clean and neat to hang on the wall, but I also collect specific games that I like filled out. Some would be considered garbage by most, but in my collection they have great value to me. I have actually (over about 20 years) been able to get at least one copy of every style ever handed out at Wrigley Field ( I am only missing about a dozen). I have filled out scorecards from some of the coolest games ever played at Wrigley Field. I guess it makes me feel like a kid again?? I also will buy autographed scorecards in any condition. I guess to answer your question, if it says Cubs, and it is a scorecard It interests me. I figure there are worse things I could be doing?? It will be a sad day when I die, and they all get thrown away. I don't think there is a person out there who would want them all??

#22 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

My collection does make for a very cool looking Chicago Cubs basement, so I guess it has some value??

#23 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

I collect both, It is obviously an obsession of mine. I like them clean and neat to hang on the wall, but I also collect specific games that I like filled out. Some would be considered garbage by most, but in my collection they have great value to me. I have actually (over about 20 years) been able to get at least one copy of every style ever handed out at Wrigley Field ( I am only missing about a dozen). I have filled out scorecards from some of the coolest games ever played at Wrigley Field. I guess it makes me feel like a kid again?? I also will buy autographed scorecards in any condition. I guess to answer your question, if it says Cubs, and it is a scorecard It interests me. I figure there are worse things I could be doing?? It will be a sad day when I die, and they all get thrown away. I don't think there is a person out there who would want them all??

Sounds absolutely awesome to me. I want them all. I can't afford them all though.

#24 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

I love it, Paul, and scorecards were a big part of my childhood memories going to games with my dad. He taught me how to score games, and we always saved them. Sadly, I think they were all thrown away at some point, so no nostalgic history left for me, so I do envy what you've collected. Very cool, and something that is becoming a lost art. Scorecard is still the best game memorabilia you can get in my opinion, as it's so specific to the game you're at.

Would love to see some pics of your collection sometime.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#25 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Yes, pics would be awesome! Got any with Caverrata or Bill Nicholson having big games??? How far back do you go with em? I collect Cubs media guides and have a lot of them signed (inside by the photo). Mine go back to 1962. My favorite is the 1963 with sigs of Santo, Williams, Banks, Brock and Hubbs. Next FAVE is 1966 - my only one with a Leo Durocher sig. That was his first year, and after that, I thought... I already have his and he isn't a player, so I never got another one.

#26 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

I will try to get a few pics added so you guys can see my basement. I do like it a lot. Funny thing is, the hardest ones for me to get are the new ones. They have so many different variations, and there is no way I can get to that many games. They have no real value, and most people throw them away. I find them for sale on occasion, and I always buy the ones I need. (don't let that secret out of the bag though, or they will start charging me more). I have a complete collection from 1921 through 2012. I am only missing one from 1998, 1 from 2000, 1 from 2008, and about 4 or 5 from 2011. 2011 was a bad year for me personaly, and I may have missed my oportunity. I have only seen 2 Cub scorecards for sale from the 19teens, and I simply couldn't aford to buiy them. Had I known then what I know now I would have bought them. My autographed ones that I am proudest of are 1929 with Hack Wilson ( his big year), 1938 homer in the gloaming game, and several different 38 games with his auto ( Gabby), several Santo autos, one on his first game ever played at Wrigley, lots of Banks, but nothing specific. I also have scorecards from the Sandberg game , hooten no hitter, Kery's 20 ks,The black cat game in New york, etc. etc. I know I am crazy, but I guess somebody has to be the crazy Cub Fan!!!

#27 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

do you ever fill in a scorecard after the fact if its a big game?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).