Recent Topics

Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

What are the top 5 (Rock) albums of all time?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#16 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

So I guess I gots ta represent. In no order:

Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East. I mean, seriously every note, man, every note is unmatched.

The Who - Who's Next. Balls out rock & roll. Even the ballads drip with sweat and testosterone.

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead. While there are songs on American Beauty that I like more than on Workingman's, this is just absolutely perfect all the way through with no hiccups ("Operator" and "Till The Morning Comes" detract from AB's majesty). Pigpen shines on Easy Wind, and "Black Peter" might be the saddest song the Dead ever recorded.

Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy. A close battle between this and their debut. A bit of a tossup, but I've been listening to this more frequently of late.

Pearl Jam - Ten. I bought this as a freshman in high school before I had ever heard a note, before I had ever heard of the band. For about a week, it was completely unknown to anyone else, it was my private album. And when it exploded, it didn't diminish one bit. That's saying something.

Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind. Perhaps a surprise, as it comes 30+ years after his most groundbreaking work. I think it shows a mature songwriter, with even more bite on his tongue. Lanois' production takes this from a great bunch of songs to a perfect album.

U2 - Achtung Baby. I love this album, and it shares the same coming of age emotional resonance with me that Ten does. The lyrics to "Acrobat" speak to me just as strongly as a 34-year-old as they did to me as a 13-year-old.

Beatles - Rubber Soul. This could very easily be Revolver. The Beatles were never better than they were during these two albums.

The Band - Music From Big Pink. Like Workingman's Dead, this is American music. Not bad for a group of (mostly) Canadians.

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust. A loose concept based around a group of remarkably tight songs.

So, yeah, that's my top ten, not the top five. If I had to go with the top five, I'd go with The Allmans, the Dead, Zep, Pearl Jam, and the Beatles. That would probably change tomorrow.

It was so hard for me to pick just one Grateful Dead album, they are without a doubt my favorite band of all time. If you really want to hear some amazing music look up the Grateful Dead Watkins Glenn soundboards, there is a version of Mountain Jam performed by The Grateful Dead, The Allman Brothers, and The Band. Its amazing. Oh and the Johnny Cash "America I-V" recordings are also amazing
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#17 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

It was so hard for me to pick just one Grateful Dead album, they are without a doubt my favorite band of all time. If you really want to hear some amazing music look up the Grateful Dead Watkins Glenn soundboards, there is a version of Mountain Jam performed by The Grateful Dead, The Allman Brothers, and The Band. Its amazing.

Agreed.

And if you've got a spare half hour, I'd highly recommend checking out the Dark Star > Spanish Jam from the Fillmore East, 2/11/70. The Dead are joined by Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac and most of the Allmans. A very unique, laid back Dark Star, and the Spanish Jam soars w/ Duane Allman's slide lead. Also, if you haven't, look at the Dead/Allmans jam from the end of the third set on 6/10/73. Great NFA>GDTRFB>NFA.

I could probably go on for hours...

#18 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

Beatles Abbey Road
Led Zep Houses of the Holy
Beatles Rubber Soul and Revolver are like Part 1 & 2 to me
Dick Tidrow Dickbeater

Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#19 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

Dick Tidrow Dickbeater

I wore out my vinyl copy of that. Then I bought the cassette and wore that out. Could never bring myself to get it on CD. Too many memories.

#20 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

Dick Tidrow Dickbeater

I wore out my vinyl copy of that. Then I bought the cassette and wore that out. Could never bring myself to get it on CD. Too many memories.

I couldn't get it on cassette or CD. Dickbeater on scratchy vinyl is the ONLY way to listen to it. I'm a purist. The track "Take It Like A Man" is my favorite collabo with Yoko Ono.

#21 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

Not to hijack but I can't get my photo to appear over like it does on the BN site when I comment. What am I doing wrong? Someone help me!

#22 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

There are many, many albums that I'd +1 in this thread, but notably absent is Son Volt's Trace, which needs to be in any discussion of best rock albums... because it fucking kills.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#23 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

Not to hijack but I can't get my photo to appear over like it does on the BN site when I comment. What am I doing wrong? Someone help me!

Somewhere in your profile you can either upload an image or use the gravatar you set up. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll send a few screen shots

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#24 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

Somewhere in your profile you can either upload an image or use the gravatar you set up. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll send a few screen shots

I went to edit my profile and clicked on 'use Gravatar' and it changed me to the lame ass gravatar icon. And now my profile pic is jacked up on BN too. I feel like a moron.

#25 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

There are many, many albums that I'd +1 in this thread, but notably absent is Son Volt's Trace, which needs to be in any discussion of best rock albums... because it fucking kills.

You're absolute fucking right. Trace is an immaculate album, and Wide Swing Tremolo ain't too far behind.

#26 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

(1) Smashing Pumpkins, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Love, love, love this album.

I have awful taste in music, so I wont bother with a Top 5,I'll just say that Green Day's Dookie would be on it somewhere, as would The Foo Fighters The Colour and the Shape.

#27 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

Below I have listed the only two albums that deserve a place on a top-5 list:

Pink Floyd - Animals - I feel like its the most powerful album they put out, its got more than its fair share of stunning musical moments where you just kinda go "whoa", it has David Gilmour playing his fucking nuts off at least 6 different times that I can think of off the top of my head.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin ll - Honestly, I believe this is Zeppelins finest album, and I don't even think its close. Maybe that makes me insane, but I dont think any of the others can hold a candle to it. I saw Physical Graffiti and Houses of the Holy mentioned above, and theyre great, but cmon. Whole Lotta Love, What Is and What Should Never Be, The Lemon Song (severely underrated song, one of my favorites.) and Thank You (admittedly not good) on the first side, which is very good, and then Heartbreaker (DAT BASS - not exactly memorable but it dominates the verses in a great way, and obviously page's solo kicks ass) into Livin Lovin Maid to start the backside is fantastic. Then Ramble On (great great great song). Then Moby Dick with John Bonham's drum solo. And it ends with Bring It On Home which simply kicks unholy amounts of ass, as does this entire album. If this was the only zeppelin I could ever hear, I'd be perfectly fine with it.

Now, onto the just-missed albums:

Van Halen - Van Halen - OK, first off, this was their debut album. It might only be like a 8 WAR type record, but it feels so much better cause it was their first release. Thats not to take anything away from it, though. Runnin With The Devil, Eruption, You Really Got Me, Aint Talkin Bout Love, Jamies Cryin. Some of Van Halen's best work

Portugal. The Man - The Satanic Satanist - It's modern and might not exactly be rock, but its got some pretty great guitar hooks, and a lot of Floyd influence. So its rock, i guess. and its great,

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction - Another debut album, and it was astonishing. Or maybe I just really love Slash. Either way, Welcome to the Jungle, Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, My Michelle, Sweet Child o Mine. Classic

Pearl Jam - Ten - No explanation necessary, I believe.

UFO - Strangers in the Night - Best band/album youve never heard of. Go buy it. Now.

Rise Against - Appeal to Reason - its newer, and though some people criticize it for being too commercial, well, fuck those people. its a fantastic album, and its got some really great songs, The Dirt Whispered, From Heads Unworthy, Audience of One, Hero of War, Savior

Tool - Lateralus - Just really frikken good. If you like Tool, that is.

Im sure Im missing a ton, but its 3am so give me a break please....

#28 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:12 AM

"UFO - Strangers in the Night - Best band/album youve never heard of. Go buy it. Now."

Thanks TC, I was waiting for that!
Please don't feed the psychos.

#29 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

And where's the Pet Sounds love?

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#30 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

I went to edit my profile and clicked on 'use Gravatar' and it changed me to the lame ass gravatar icon. And now my profile pic is jacked up on BN too. I feel like a moron.

Is the email address you use the same across all three spots (BN, Message Board, and Gravatar)? Because that's the key - it all comes from the email address you use at Gravatar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).