Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

What are the top 5 (Rock) albums of all time?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#46 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

Not to hijack but I can't get my photo to appear over like it does on the BN site when I comment. What am I doing wrong? Someone help me!

Somewhere in your profile you can either upload an image or use the gravatar you set up. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll send a few screen shots

I went to edit my profile and clicked on 'use Gravatar' and it changed me to the lame ass gravatar icon. And now my profile pic is jacked up on BN too. I feel like a moron.

Is the email address you use the same across all three spots (BN, Message Board, and Gravatar)? Because that's the key - it all comes from the email address you use at Gravatar.

Yes Brett it is. That was the first thing I checked.

Hmm. The fact that it's showing the default gravatar logo, and the fact that it started out showing your gravatar, suggests it could be a setting on your gravatar account. Specifically, they have a "rating" setting - is the "rating" for your gravatar set to, like, G or whatever (the lowest possible setting)? That could be it (I believe this forum software can only display "G" gravatars, I can't seem to find a way to change it). If that's the case, and you still want to use that avatar, you may have to use the other avatar option (linking to the picture).

#47 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

While I'm predominantly a classic rock and alt.country (Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Wilco) kind of a guy, if we expanded the conversation a little beyond rock, you could pick several John Prine albums to be in my "top five": Bruised Orange, Sweet Revenge, The Missing Years, and/or Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings... the list goes on.

As far as songwriters go, he's playing in the same league as Bob Dylan.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#48 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

It was so hard for me to pick just one Grateful Dead album, they are without a doubt my favorite band of all time. If you really want to hear some amazing music look up the Grateful Dead Watkins Glenn soundboards, there is a version of Mountain Jam performed by The Grateful Dead, The Allman Brothers, and The Band. Its amazing.

Agreed.

And if you've got a spare half hour, I'd highly recommend checking out the Dark Star > Spanish Jam from the Fillmore East, 2/11/70. The Dead are joined by Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac and most of the Allmans. A very unique, laid back Dark Star, and the Spanish Jam soars w/ Duane Allman's slide lead. Also, if you haven't, look at the Dead/Allmans jam from the end of the third set on 6/10/73. Great NFA>GDTRFB>NFA.

I could probably go on for hours...

I could probably go on for hours too... I love jam bands, especially the Allmans and the Dead. Actually, I've had the opportunity to see the Allmans play live with Bob Weir and Ratdog back in '07 in DC.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#49 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

While I'm predominantly a classic rock and alt.country (Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Wilco)...

Yes, yes, and yes.

... if we expanded the conversation a little beyond rock, you could pick several John Prine albums to be in my "top five": Bruised Orange, Sweet Revenge, The Missing Years, and/or Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings... the list goes on.

As far as songwriters go, he's playing in the same league as Bob Dylan.

Mot definitely. John Prine is absolute magic. Storm Windows (of all things) is one of my favorite songs of all time.

I've seen John Prine live a half-dozen times or so, as he always makes an appearance at SF's Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival (which is certainly worth making a trip for). He's gracious, funny, and still really damn good.

IR, are you a fan of Jason Isbell? I saw him at this year's fest. Pretty powerful hard-edge alt-country. The Drive-By Truckers were hit/miss with me, but his solo gig was killer.

#50 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

IR, are you a fan of Jason Isbell? I saw him at this year's fest. Pretty powerful hard-edge alt-country. The Drive-By Truckers were hit/miss with me, but his solo gig was killer.

Not yet. I feel the same way about DBT, but I'll be checking out his solo stuff on your recommendation.

My Ignore List:

#51 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

Mot definitely. John Prine is absolute magic. Storm Windows (of all things) is one of my favorite songs of all time.

I've seen John Prine live a half-dozen times or so, as he always makes an appearance at SF's Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival (which is certainly worth making a trip for). He's gracious, funny, and still really damn good.

Oh, and same here for "Storm Windows". I love that song.

I haven't seen him live in five or so years, but I've seen him quite a few times. I caught the show at the Ryman Auditorium where four or five songs were recorded for Live on Tour... and I've seen him in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky, more than once.

I note, for what it's worth, that he's got a few dates with Isbell in December... but they're in St. Louis and Kansas City.

My Ignore List:

#52 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

I've seen him in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky, more than once.

That must have been before Mr Peabody's coal train hauled it away.

#53 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

I've seen him in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky, more than once.

That must have been before Mr Peabody's coal train hauled it away.

Yes. After the killing of empty pop bottles, but before Mr. Peabody's coal train hauled it away.

My Ignore List:

#54 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

In no particular order:
Nickelback's 1st, 2nd and 3rd albums and Creed's 1st and 2nd albums

#55 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

In no particular order:

I have awful taste in music

I'm just messing with you, Dave. In all honesty those might be the best albums ever recorded. I've never heard a note of them.

#56 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Balls

#57 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

In no particular order:

You might find this Latin phrase to come in handy in your life: De gustibus non est disputandum.

EDIT:

Also, this one: Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.

Edited by Internet Random, 04 November 2011 - 03:22 PM.

My Ignore List:

#58 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

"UFO - Strangers in the Night - Best band/album youve never heard of. Go buy it. Now."

Thanks TC, I was waiting for that!

I always bring them up for your benefit, Phil, hahahaha

#59 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

So, pretty much no love for Britney Spears' new stuff?

I find it a little too cerebral for my taste.

Cerebral should never be used to describe anything that Brittany Spears has ever done
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#60 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

• Pearl Jam - Ten
  • AC/DC - The Razor's Edge
  • Gun's n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
  • LIve - Throwing Copper
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
2-5 not necessarily in that order but Ten is definitely my favourite of all time. I still stop what I'm doing when I hear Release.

Yes. You could be my new friend.

It depends on the day between Ten and Throwing Copper. I would take either to a desert island with me. Appetite should be in the discussion. Honestly, I have never listened to the entire Mellon Collie album but would be fine listening to Bullet over and over again.
I would say there would have to be a Beatles album, but could not choose between Pepper, Let It Be and Abbey Road.
Another hard choice would be the bookends for the Doors. LA Woman or The Doors. Both are strong all the way through.
Sooo yeah... Not really a defined top five. It's more Ideas about top fives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).