#1 BluBlud

BluBlud

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

Maybe I believe in the old school days. Maybe I'm just a very loyal person. Maybe I believe you go to war with what you have and if it's not enough, you work harder and try to get better. I hate when a bunch of players change teams in any sport. I'm as big a Lebron fan as there is. I think he is the greatest sports talent ever. I hate everything Cleveland sports, and yet I hated it when he left Cleveland. He should have stayed, won a championship and left his lagacy there. As great as I think he is, he'll never be as great to me as he could have been.

Yes, I wanted the Cubs to sign Bourn, because that's the way the league works. But I would have been just as happy to go into the season with Campana as the starter. Replace Campana, or Sori and Dejesus in the OF with Jackson or Ha or Vitters or Lake or Szczur or any Cubs prospect or farm hand, and I have no gripes.

Yes some trades and signings are fine only because its the way it is and you might as well stop watching sports if you don't like player movement, but it still doesn't change the fact that it sucks. If I was Lebron, I wouldn't want to play with Wade, I'd want to dunk his skull through the basket while playing against him, but that's just me. I don't wanna use Baez, Almora, Vogelbach, Johnson, Soler and such to make trades, I wanna use them to beat the other teams prospects once they reach the majors and win championships. Add those guys to Barney, Castro, Jackson, Vitters, Shark, Castillo. I would rather lose with those guy then win a World Series with Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder, Zack Grienke, and all your other big time free agents from the past few years. I would rather earn it through hard work then buy it.
JayAndersonJr

#2 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

I must be to old, but I don't care if we sign new players every year. I just want to win a world series. Then I would want to win another, and another and so on.

#3 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

We already lost with our guys long enough, I'm looking forward to the winning part and it doesn't matter to me whether you consider the players "our guys" or "their guys". Oh and I'm pretty sure you meant to type than and not then, otherwise your title and your post would be conflicting.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Sigh sigh sigh - CAMPANA IS GONE!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Wow, you'd rather have Campana over Bourn?

Good for you.

#6 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Oh and I'm pretty sure you meant to type than and not then, otherwise your title and your post would be conflicting.

I didn't catch that. That's pretty funny.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#7 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Good for you.

I must've missed this part

#8 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

I agree that there should be some sort of loyalty when it comes to players. However, I am not going to shoot myself in the foot by saying that I wouldn't pick up some one from a rival team just because of the team loyalty, especially if the player is really good. That is insane.

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Good for you.

I must've missed this part

I may have stretched his comment a bit...from "Campana has roughly equal value to Bourn for me"

#10 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'd really, really rather just win and win and win and win, no matter who is on the team. If you told me a certain group of 25 or so insufferable assholes who all love the Cardinals could make a legitimate run at winning the World Series for the Cubs, I wouldn't even hesistate to root for them as hard as I could

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Curious what you definitions of "our" player? If you mean players we drafted and developed then say goodbye to Sandberg, Dawson, Sosa and the majority of the best players we've had since the FA era. Would you rather we kept Theriot, Pie, Patterson etc. Come on man!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#12 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Curious what you definitions of "our" player? If you mean players we drafted and developed then say goodbye to Sandberg, Dawson, Sosa and the majority of the best players we've had since the FA era. Would you rather we kept Theriot, Pie, Patterson etc. Come on man!

Hey, you can't have enough Pie in your life MG. :D

#13 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

While I generally dont agree wth blublood I get what he is saying to an extent. I enjoy watching kids go through the system and finding success. In my mind there is nothing better than seeing talent grow up right in front of us. Now with that, I would consider Rizzo and the like "home grown" because he was an unproven quantity. And i generally dont begrudge trades like the ones that brought Garza or Ramirez over because it is talent for talent and has always been part of the game. But I do not like how the Yankees in the late 90's 00's seemed to buy every top free agent. To be honest would i still cheer the cubs if they "bought it" you better believe I would. But I would relish it more if the core players were a bunch of kids I stated following in the minors when they were just potential.

#14 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

This whole post contradicts its self. You said you wanted to sign Bourn because its how the league works, but then say you dont want to win by signing top free agents, even though Born was one of the top free agents this offseason. And also if its "how the league works", then if the Cubs didnt do it, they would be at a huge disadvantage with the rest of the league.
Yes I would love to see an all homegrown team, but that is highly unlikely for any team because a high majority of prospects dont pan out, and Vitters is a perfect example of this. Go back to the year (2008) where he was a top 50 prospect, youre telling me you wouldnt trade him for a SP to replace Marquis or cover for when Harden was hurt? I know hindsight is 20/20 but come on its ridiculous to say teams shouldnt trade prospects.

#15 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Jay i find it interesting that you post such a discussed thread but then never return to address the questions that have been asked or further explain you position.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).