#1 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

Brett and/or Luke,
Apologies if this is going to be a regular main page feature. Didn't see it. Thought I would go for it.
Caveat: I just want to post articles and results. No stats. College stats are less useful than minor league stats. Just little bits about early favorites. Just a collection for folks to follow. No big whoop.

Sean Manaea
Junior Sean Manaea (0-1) pitched into the fifth inning, allowing four hits and one run with six strikeouts and three walks. The ISU southpaw was lifted in the fifth after allowing a leadoff walk to IPFW's Tyler Shepherd, who would come around to score on a fielding error with one out in the inning. The Mastodons (1-0) added to their lead later in the inning on a fielder's choice by Kristian Gayday.
http://www.gosycamor...DB_OEM_ID=15200

Ryne Stanek
Ryne Stanek started and picked up the win in his season debut, throwing four innings and allowing a run on two hits with four strikeouts.
http://m.arkansasraz...TCLID=206428460

Mark Appel
Kubitza's Cardinal counterpart, Mark Appel (0-1), shouldered the loss after giving up five runs - two earned - with three strikeouts in 5.0 frames for seventh-ranked Stanford (0-1).
http://www.gostanfor.../021513aaa.html

Jonathan Crawford
“First of all, I give Duke a lot of credit,” head coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. "I thought Jonathon [Crawford] threw the ball well."
http://www.gatorzone...bile/news/24931

#2 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

I still don't want Appel. I think he is very overrated.

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm not sold on Appel either. I think he'd be a safe pick, but he looks more like a No 2/3 guy to me. I don't see ace potential there.

Manea is a different story. He would probably be on the top of my list right now.

#4 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hey Luke. I haven't really heard much about Manea. What is the scouting report on him?

#5 KCubsfan

KCubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Here is a scouting report on Manaea. http://bigleaguefutu...rt-sean-manaea/

#6 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Here is a scouting report on Manaea. http://bigleaguefutu...rt-sean-manaea/

Thanks. :)

#7 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hey Luke. I haven't really heard much about Manea. What is the scouting report on him?

Tall, power lefty starter.

Those guys are not common at the top of the draft, and Manea is one of the better ones to come along in recent years.

#8 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

"Manaea has one of the highest ceilings in the draft this year. His natural ability and untapped potential give him the ability to become a true #1. He will take at least 2 to 3 years because of the refining that is needed to be done in his delivery and pitch development."

I'd say that's pretty accurate.

#9 KCubsfan

KCubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

"Manaea has one of the highest ceilings in the draft this year. His natural ability and untapped potential give him the ability to become a true #1. He will take at least 2 to 3 years because of the refining that is needed to be done in his delivery and pitch development."

I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Thank you its my scouting report.

#10 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

I'm really excited to get plenty of good looks at Kent Emanuel this year:

http://northcarolina.../2/1267124.html

He is another big lefty (6-4 225) with a nice fastball-change up. Probably isn't top of the board material, but he could end up being a nice supplemental pick.

#11 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

The lone run Stanek gave up was on a cheap home run. Should have been a long fly ball out, but the wind did him no favors. It was a typical early season game here, chilly with gusty winds, it was just too bad that one of the gusts came at that moment. WIU looked pretty feeble against him most of the time, but he did work way too many deep counts in the first two innings.

#12 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

Stanek had his second start yesterday afternoon. I actually forgot about the game so I didn't listen to the play by play. I know it was cold and windy in Little Rock yesterday so I'm sure it was just as windy and even colder in Fayetville.

Anyway Stanek didn't appear to have his best stuff. Only went 3 innings, faced 14 batters, gave up 2 earned runs on four hits (two doubles) while walking 2 and striking out 4 on 76 pitches.

#13 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

A Dark Horse: Vanderbilt lefty Kevin Ziomek.
He's maybe more of a comp round or second round guy right now, but if he keeps pitching the way he is, who knows...

4-0 in 4 starts for #2 Vanderbilt, 2 consecutive complete games, the second of which came against a very good #15 Oregon.

Advanced lefty at 6'3'' 200 lbs with good fastball in the low 90s, and a killer slider.

Vanderbilt lefties have historically done pretty well after getting drafted in the early stages.

#14 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

No real update from me just wanted to give my two cents... I think Appel would be a good option for the Cubs since he is the most "big league ready" of all of the options and due to their lack of pitching in the upper levels he just seems to make sense. Although I would prefer Manaea, i wouldnt have a problem with any of the top 3 guys right now

#15 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

It seems to me of the typically first 3 pitchers talked about that Appel has the highest floor, Manaea the highest ceiling and Stanek seems like he is in the middle of those two but has a good projection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).