hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

I agree with your 3rd point: the people that disagreed knew that the things that were being done were inherently wrong!

It was wrong to them. To Hitler it was ok and necessary. To other Germans the Jews were getting what they deserved (some people still share this view).

Going back to abortion, today it is considered acceptable, in American Society, to have an abortion regardless of the reason. 100 years from now American Society may view this period as a giant black eye in American History. 150 years ago a great portion of American Society thought Slavery was ok.

#32 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

It is subjective to a point. There are things that are black and white, while there are other things that fall more in the gray area.

#33 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

I think that most people tend to see integrity as a solid line, that they won't cross, rather than a blurry one. But what they probably don't realize is that the line moves a lot, whenever their perspective changes. Breaking bad is a great show, that follows the path of a man whose moral code is constantly adapting for the extreme situations he finds himself in. By the end of the show, he has done some terrible things that he would have never done at the outset, but he can justify them all, to himself at least.

#34 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Emerson suggest we apply "a little height of thought" when evaluating such things.
" The voyage of the best ship is a zigzag line of a hundred tacks. See the line from a sufficient distance, and it straightens itself to the average tendency."

That line doesn't move for those on the ship "whenever their perspective changes" because they're on board. That's one reason they have an easier time justifying stuff to themselves. Those of us observing the ship, perhaps shifting around ourselves, need the "height of thought;" the dispassionate distance.

But, Walter White's ends-justify-the-means approach may be a more apt metaphor to the PED problem, where this got started. We can understand why an individual starts making 'bad' decisions, but they really are bad (objectively bad?). They start little bit that way and then break hard, like an illegal pitch falls off the table.

#35 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

From Lincoln to Emerson. Nice range and solid quotes. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).