TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

PS: Spriggs, do you have Twitter? Because live tweeting while you're at the park would be awesome :)

That would be awesome to see updates on twitter. Thanks so much for the updates here also!

Agreed. Let us know when the @Spriggs_CubsTriviaRainMan account goes live, mkay?

#17 rbaker08

rbaker08

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:@rmbaker08
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hey guys - Just curious, and sorry if already posted... I haven't heard anything about Starlin being in Arizona for ST. I read somewhere that all players have arrived but haven't seen anything specifically related to Castro which is odd. Anyone know anything or seen him at Fitch working out with the team or in the cages?

#18 rbaker08

rbaker08

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Well, nevermind haha. I literally just saw a tweet of him in live BP.

#19 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Not much new to report today at Fitch - was only there for a couple hours. The bunting tournament is well underway with lots of ooohs and aaaahs coming from that area. It sort of blows because a lot of the players are out there instead of being on the fields where you can actually see them.

I am going to have to force myself to branch out a little because I'm rather addicted to watching Solar/Baez/Ch Villaneuva/Nelson's group move from station to station. Theo and Jed are having the same problem! So much to like there!

The buzz of the day was Soriano signing autographs for the fans two different times. A rare occurance, and what a lot of people are out there for (Castro and Soriano are in the same group).

Blake Parker, Michael Bowden, Rafael Dolis, and Carlos Marmol threw live BP -- there were others ealier that I did not see. Marmol threw mostly strikes - mostly fastballs. Bowden could not get the ball over - he was facing Baez and Solar's group - and they weren't biting, which was nice to see.

Junior Lake looked good again in the cage vs live pitching. I think he's even bigger today :).

I don't know what the plans are for how many catchers they will break camp with, but Clevenger and Navarro are providing an interesting competition.

#20 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

I was going to mention... or ask... another player named Chavez was also hitting in the Baez/Soler group today. He's a huge 24 year old Venezuelan kid who swings well in the cages. Anyone know much about him?

#21 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I was going to mention... or ask... another player named Chavez was also hitting in the Baez/Soler group today. He's a huge 24 year old Venezuelan kid who swings well in the cages. Anyone know much about him?

First name Hugo?

#22 rbaker08

rbaker08

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Johermyn Chavez - Cubs signed him to a minor league deal in November sometime I believe. From what I've read, he was tearing it up last year for the Seattle Mariners in Rookie ball and then got a bump to AA ball. Struggled a bit there posting a line of .232 | .339 | .386 with an OPS of .725. While playing in AA though, he faced our Tennessee Smokies quite a bit and I'm assuming our front office saw something they liked.

I saw this posted elsewhere on Chavez -- "On the year, Chavez has hit .242/.345/.423 with sixteen doubles and ten home runs over 265 at-bats between Seattle’s rookie club and their Double-A affiliate. Over seven seasons in the minors, he’s hit .263/.341/.442."

#23 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Johermyn Chavez - Cubs signed him to a minor league deal in November sometime I believe. From what I've read, he was tearing it up last year for the Seattle Mariners in Rookie ball and then got a bump to AA ball. Struggled a bit there posting a line of .232 | .339 | .386 with an OPS of .725. While playing in AA though, he faced our Tennessee Smokies quite a bit and I'm assuming our front office saw something they liked.

I saw this posted elsewhere on Chavez -- "On the year, Chavez has hit .242/.345/.423 with sixteen doubles and ten home runs over 265 at-bats between Seattle’s rookie club and their Double-A affiliate. Over seven seasons in the minors, he’s hit .263/.341/.442."

From his stats is appears he has a decent eye with an acceptable K% for a slugger. He may have gone from R to AA last year but the year before he was at AA as well but, only had an 83 wRC+. He was a bit better in AA last year with a 108 wRC+ and had a 12.2 BB%. His BABIP was also down both stints in AA. That may make the difference in his lines.

After 7 years in the minors and almost 800 PA in AA, he is about at the make or break point.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#24 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

OK, thanks!

#25 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

From his stats is appears he has a decent eye with an acceptable K% for a slugger. He may have gone from R to AA last year but the year before he was at AA as well but, only had an 83 wRC+. He was a bit better in AA last year with a 108 wRC+ and had a 12.2 BB%. His BABIP was also down both stints in AA. That may make the difference in his lines.

After 7 years in the minors and almost 800 PA in AA, he is about at the make or break point.

I wonder if they see him as just AA-AAA filler or a legit guy with a call-up chance -- even this year if injuries hit? He does handle the bat quite well in the cages off BP pitchers in ST!

#26 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

I wonder if they see him as just AA-AAA filler or a legit guy with a call-up chance -- even this year if injuries hit? He does handle the bat quite well in the cages off BP pitchers in ST!

I doubt he would get a shot this year. The OF is pretty crowded. I mean we couldn't even hold onto Campana.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#27 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I doubt he would get a shot this year. The OF is pretty crowded. I mean we couldn't even hold onto Campana.

FO Ineptitude...smh

#28 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

So, everyone has seen video of the Soler bomb by now. I just want to point out that it was one of the highest home runs I've ever seen that was NOT wind aided. Wow. Best part was that he had taken what was surely ball 4 on the prior pitch. Then he did draw a walk his second time up - after smoking a foul ball by inches down the line at 3rd. Soler also played a sparkling LF today, making an outstanding diving catch on a sinking line drive and also made a perfect relay throw to Lake who gunned down Navarro at home. It was a great day for Soler.

Speaking of Navarro getting gunned down at home, he has got to be the slowest runner in baseball. He makes any Molina look like Campana.

Lake continues to look impressive. Showed his arm off a little twice. Followed Soler's bomb with a drive off the wall in center, a few feet to the left of the 410 sign.

Javier Baez struck out swinging his first time up on a high fastball by Struck. He was robbed of a hit his next time up by Castro who went to his right to snag Baez's hard ground ball. In the field at SS, Baez flashed his leather on a tremendous diving catch of a liner and then doubled off Barney with his throw to first. However he muffed a tailor made double play (got the out a 1st) and on another slow grounder up the middle he inexplicably just didn't get to it. I thought it was going to be an easy play with a play at any base, but he didn't play it well and it allowed two runs to score.

Nate Scheirholtz's HR was more than half way up the foul pole down the right field line. He really layed into it.

Castro looked very good today both at the plate and in the field. He looks ready to go right now!

Not sure what happened to Stewart today, but he left the game after his first AB and Villaneuva played 3rd for the "white" team even though he had a blue jersey on. No other starters left the game...

McNutt's results were not great, but I liked the way he threw today. Was throwing hard and was keeping hitters off balance. With a little fiedling help, he would have been out of the inning. Whitenack makes a lot of hitters swing and miss with his stuff - but was having trouble finishing them off. Skinny dude.

Corey Wade may have taken another step closer to his last day in camp... after missing his slot in the bunt tourney the other day, he was smacked around pretty good today.

Theo, Jed, and Jason watched the entire game in the stands - right behind home plate about 3 rows up. Those guy were all pretty excited when Soler hit the bomb too!!!

#29 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

So far today:

Matt Szczur flashed his (not) elite speed today. After a good jump, he was thrown out stealing 2nd by Lopez. Next AB, he hit a grounder in the hole between 3rd and SS that Baez dove for, got up and bounced a throw in the dirt to get Matt at first by a full step.

No surprise that Vitters and Stewart were not present for the game.

Cabrera was unimpressive in his "start". Giving up 6 hits in 2 innings while losing his command. Great stuff, but a long way to go I'm afraid.

Clevenger with solid contact and nothing to show for it after 2 ABs.

Soler is showing some nice patience at the plate!

In his first 3 ABs, Brett Jackson was 3 for 3. All hits solid line drives. Great base running too.

#30 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

So all we heard about Valbuena through the winter was how well he was hitting. What do you think the odds of him being our opening day starter at 3rd base are? I only ask because honestly, Stewart is hurt already? I like Stewart and have always thought he could be great, but I honestly am starting to believe the guy is some kind of hypochondriac. All that aside, Valbuena seems to have found his hitting eye, no?
- diehard fanclub member #002

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).