#1 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Leal went 6-2 with a 2.44 ERA in 14 appearances (12 starts) for the Dominican Summer League Diamondbacks last season. He struck out 70 and walked 11 batters in 70.0 innings

Just read this about one of the pitchers we got in the Campana trade. WOW! I don't know anything about the Dominican League, but those numbers are good in any league as far as I'm concerned. Probably old news to everyone by now, but thought I'd share just in case not!
- diehard fanclub member #002

#2 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

He is the one I am excited about. But I am curious about why the Dbacks have absolutely no problem trading him away for a 4th outfielder at best in Campana. :huh:

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

He is the one I am excited about. But I am curious about why the Dbacks have absolutely no problem trading him away for a 4th outfielder at best in Campana. :huh:

That's a good question.

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

A: It's Tony FREEKIN Campana
B: They are hoping to break the record for sCRAP+ in one season.
C: The odds of these guys ever giving the Cubs as many WAR as Tony Campana has is incredibly small.

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

A: It's Tony FREEKIN Campana
B: They are hoping to break the record for sCRAP+ in one season.
C: The odds of these guys ever giving the Cubs as many WAR as Tony Campana has is incredibly small.

Fair enough :)

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

yeah if you haven't noticed between signing Cody Ross, trading Upton for Prado, and acquiring Gregarious the D'Backs are going all-in on the scrappy players

#7 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

yeah if you haven't noticed between signing Cody Ross, trading Upton for Prado, and acquiring Gregarious the D'Backs are going all-in on the scrappy players

So, you are basically saying that Campana is part of Gibson's "Sign all players that have scrappy gene" campaign? I vaguely remember hearing about Gibson really wanting only those types of guys, basically a mirror of what he was when he played. Am I right on that?

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

yup part of the reasoning behind trading Upton and Bauer was because neither was gritty enough. I'm suprised they haven't brought in The Riot yet

#9 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

While it's fun to romanticize about the two players for whom the Cubs received in the Tony Campana-deal; in reality, neither is likely to ever wear a Cubs' uniform.

They'll forever be forgotten, along with the likes of Abner Abreu and Carlton Smith(Kosuke Fukudome).

Basically, Arizona received a really fast, 4th outfielder, in exchange for minor league depth.

#10 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

While it's fun to romanticize about the two players for whom the Cubs received in the Tony Campana-deal; in reality, neither is likely to ever wear a Cubs' uniform.

They'll forever be forgotten, along with the likes of Abner Abreu and Carlton Smith(Kosuke Fukudome).

Basically, Arizona received a really fast, 4th outfielder, in exchange for minor league depth.

Or, they just gave up Campana for two young lottery tickets, which is kind of what prospects are anyways when they are that age.

#11 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Or, they just gave up Campana for two young lottery tickets, which is kind of what prospects are anyways when they are that age.

Yes, that's an accurate description.

The chances of either making the majors, is close to the chances of someone winning the lotto.

#12 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

The chances of either making the majors, is close to the chances of someone winning the lotto.

That's actually not even close to accurate based on the fact that they've already increased their chances just by making it into the farm system, which is a limited field already. Much smaller pool than the number of people that play the lottery.

#13 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

That's actually not even close to accurate based on the fact that they've already increased their chances just by making it into the farm system, which is a limited field already. Much smaller pool than the number of people that play the lottery.

It was an expression.

Are you the agent for these two? Christ.

They will never play for the Cubs. Sorry.

#14 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

It was an expression.

Are you the agent for these two? Christ.

They will never play for the Cubs. Sorry.

Glad you have these guys careers figured out before they even reach the states. Thanks for the insight.

#15 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

damn we got a scouting expert here you must have watched lots of film on them to know so much about these players

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).